Weights and Plates

jblaisdell

Has NASA adopted the recent weights and plate changes that the SCCA and Spec Miata Advisory board approved last month?

1.6 NA cars lose 10lbs to 2275lbs

1.8 NA cars gain 25lbs to 2400lbs and get a larger RP 47mm

1.8 NB cars stay the same at 2450lbs

Any word?

Jim Blaisdell

NASA FL Spec Miata Director

[email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

Really? No input on this very important subject? This is our opportunity to make things right for the class and set ourselves apart from absurd rule changes (99+ suspension on early cars).

Let's see if anyone is listening here, because I know NASA National is. What about:

1.6 cars either stay the same or lose 10lbs and go to 2275

94-97 cars stay at 2375 and get a larger plate (47mm)

99+ go to 2475 and perhaps a smaller plate (39mm)

Development has gone overboard on big budget 99's here in the south, the 5% of them will drive out the low budget early cars (95 % of our racers). They need to be stunted somehow, let the scca support the big budget 99's and deal with the inequality issues.

My opinion, take it or leave it...

John

I agree with you that something needs to be done to assist the 1.6 overcome the torque variances between the 1.6 and the 99 exiting the corners. This is especially true of those corners that are followed by elevation changes such as Turns 1, 5 and 10B at Road Atlanta. It is one of the reasons that I have not done any racing in the Southeast this year. Your suggestions are certainly something to try and I would encourage NASA National to gather evidence, make changes and evaluate the results.

Richard

John

I agree with you that something needs to be done to assist the 1.6 overcome the torque variances between the 1.6 and the 99 exiting the corners. This is especially true of those corners that are followed by elevation changes such as Turns 1, 5 and 10B at Road Atlanta. It is one of the reasons that I have not done any racing in the Southeast this year. Your suggestions are certainly something to try and I would encourage NASA National to gather evidence, make changes and evaluate the results.

Richard

Richard,

I have been lucky enough to be able to share my input along with Jim B (first post) with the powers that be at NASA headquarters. They have heard the suggestions and are going to work on rolling out some easy equalization adjustments for next year, as well as researching a solution to the 99 ecu mods that are plaguing us here in the SE. I believe we'll see some good, easy and cheap adjustments for 2011. You can expect us to NOT follow the proposed SCCA changes for sure (a good thing$$$)!

Lots of people run SCCA and NASA - I would think that anything that effectively split the class i.e. made a NASA SM not easily able to run in SCCA SM would be pretty dumb.

I have no real opinion on which changes make more/less sense but if the NASA powers that be disagree with the changes that SCCA proposed to the various SM, they probably should have coordinated better or gotten their proposed changes out ahead. At this point, the barn door is open and the SCCA SM horse is out and running around the field ........

FWIW (pretty much nothing, but I'm gonna whine anyway) the large majority of times I got beat this year it was by a 1.6 vs. my 1999. I think people need to stop measuring everything by the yardstick of Road America.

From my perspective, I just want to go racing. Lack of coordination between NASA and SCCA on a common class of cars makes no sense whatsoever .......

If the suspension changes do pass for SCCA, my 1994 may be more optimal in NASA. I currently hold a National SCCA licence and have raced seven seasons (4 in ITC and 3 in SM). What would I need to do to go NASA racing in 2011? License wise, not car updates.

If the suspension changes do pass for SCCA, my 1994 may be more optimal in NASA. I currently hold a National SCCA licence and have raced seven seasons (4 in ITC and 3 in SM). What would I need to do to go NASA racing in 2011? License wise, not car updates.

Your 94 will definitely be more optimal in NASA for 2011, if the SCCA seals the deal on the suspension changes and other proposals, anything less than a 99 will not be able to compete.

To go NASA racing in 2011, your car will need the addition of a center net or head restraint seat, you will need a head and neck restraint device (hans, defender, etc...), and you will need to get a NASA Race License, which is just a matter of filling out the license application and showing proof of your scca license. You can use the same medical info too. Very easy stuff!

I would recommend applying for the NASA race license in January, as NASA's licenses are good for only the calendar year they are received in. For instance, if you were to get a NASA license right now, it would only be good till the end of this year, whereas in the SCCA it would be good until October of next year. Not sure why NASA does it this way, I don't like it personally...

Good luck, and feel free to email your local NASA SM group leader if you need assistance getting involved in your local NASA region.

Super easy. I already have center net and HANS. I think weight and plate size is currently different SCCA vs. NASA, but I have both... unless these change this winter.