Jump to content



Recommended Posts

I am looking to buy an open faced helmet. What snell or dot rating do I need? Could this be found at a motorcycle shop?

Are you looking for an HPDE helmet or a racing helmet?



Use a proper fitting helmet that meets Snell 1990 (SA1990; M1990) or newer (or

equivalent) standards for cars or motorcycles.



Snell 2000 ( SA2000) or better*. Ratings other

than that of “SA” (Special Application), i.e. “M1995, M2000”, are not acceptable.


*Alternatively, helmets with an FIA certification of 8860-2004, or an SFI label showing

the rating of 31.1A, 31.2A, or 31.1/2005 are acceptable.



Flip the helmet over and look under the liner. You'll see an orange sticker with the Snell designation. If the sticker does not exist, it's not Snell-rated and will not pass tech inspection.


Good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't forget that the rating may jump by 5 years when the new CCR comes out since the new Snell year starts next year.


SA2005 for racing




SA1995, M1995 for HPDE.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...