Rule question

Walther

Gentlemen, (and Ladies??)

I am brand new to NASA and am jumping head first into AIX. I ran SCCA American Sedan for the past few years with some success and a good number of wins, but I have a number of personal issues with that class. In short; Great bunch of racers, but nonsensical rules -IMO. So here I am.

I am half way through changing my AS car (Fox Mustang) into an AIX car. I have fabricated my own SLA and custom K-member, and plan on fabricating a Satchell Link rear suspension to work in the chassis. I will probably debut/test the “new” chassis with my “old” AS power plant. I will most likely be grossly underpowered for AIX (at 342 rwhp) A big-inch, EFI Windsor is in the plans. Anyway; as part of my set-up, I am inputting different ride heights into my measurements. My unavoidable obstacle in lowering the ride height seems to be exhaust clearance under the car. Which brings me to my question;

Can a minimal section of the stock floor pan be channeled to allow exhaust clearance, provided I fabricate a sheet metal “tunnel” over it? Rule 7.3.e says it can, or does it? The rules do say that exhaust cannot pass through the firewall, and what I envision won’t violate that rule. I basically want to run the exhaust off of the collectors, and then up through the "plane" of the passenger side floor, running just above the floor and out through the body just in front of the RR tire. Is this permitted, or do I need to abandon the idea?

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Mark Walther

Mark-

Welcome to American Iron! I hope you will find what many of us have found and that is a very sensible set of rules and a GREAT bunch of people in NASA and American Iron. We try very hard to minimize changes and keep the rules simple and enforceable.

As for your car, check the rules bulletin (clarification) from 2010 regarding ride height. I think there is at least one car out there running an exhaust through the floor but keep watching for others to reply to get a clear and complete answer to your question.

Also, I don't know what car you have and what your plans are but keep in mind that the car counts in AIX are lower throughout the country so there's more competition in AI. Having said that, if you have your heart set on running AIX, by all means, we'd love to have you.

welcome to aix.

Yes it clearly states that you can channel the exhaust into the floor of the car if need be. Also the rocker height ruleis 4 inches to the flat bottom of the rocker no the pinch welds and in aix the height rule does not measure side skirts etc, just the rocker bottom.

good luck. read thru the aix rules and things will be fairly clear.

Mark,

To be competitive in the Midwest or Great Lakes Regions (including the National Championships at Mid-Ohio) you are going to need 850 to 1,000 Rear Wheel Horsepower. Plan accordingly with your 351.

Best of luck,

Sidney

Paul Brown is competative with less than 600 at the wheels. Mid Ohio is not a power track like Utah. Come join the fun.

edit: spelling

One of my biggest problems in SCCA was that the rules were confusing. I read the NASA AIX rules and I "thought" that it did allow for channeling the floor for specific circumstances, but I have a bad habit of placing my own interpretation on a rule. I won't get into specifics, but that's why I asked. Thank you for your responses.

As far as HP, I "should" be in the 600-650 rwhp range with the Windsor, naturally aspirated, with EFI and a dry-sump. I live in Central Florida and race mainly at Sebring and Daytona. Daytona is, no doubt, a HP track; but I would wince at the idea of trying to control 1000 HP at Sebring in an AIX platform. I doubt I'll ever compete more than 500 miles from where I live, although I do own property in the NC mountains that my wife and I are going to build our retirement home on in a few years.

If I may, I have another question: Doors and Door Bars. Is the factory Intrusion Beam in the door mandatory or can it be removed? Also, the rules state AIX can run composite body panels. Does that mean I can replace the factory doors with a fiberglass doors? I am trying to get close to 2700.

Thanks again. I have a vast amount of racing experience (mainly Circle Track) over the last thirty or so years. Hopefully I'll be able to repay the favor with some advice on matters I'm familiar with.

Regards,

Mark

although I do own property in the NC mountains that my wife and I are going to build our retirement home on in a few years.

What part of NC? I'm a GC in Franklin. I'd be glad to help out in any way possible...

John

Body panels in AIX are free. Mine are carbon fiber from Paul Brown. 600 is doable NA, but it gets expensive after that - or high maintenance (or both).

Feel free to bounce questions off your regional AI director, or this forum, or myself if you have questions. We much rather prefer that everyone ask for permission before instead of begging for forgiveness after a rules interpretation. Please, please, please ask before cutting or fabbing if you aren't sure.

I have tired a bunch of combinations with ford windsors,dry sumps, heads, intakes, etc, feel free to contact me with questions.

Thank you all. I certainly will ask rather than discover I've goofed on a rule interpretation. Other than the two questions I've had, the rest seems pretty straight forward.

GC? Sorry, don't know the vernacular yet. We have 17 acres between Burnsville and Banner Elk. As a matter of fact, we're going up there in two weeks.

Thanks again guys.

Mark

I live in Central Florida and race mainly at Sebring and Daytona.

Where are you in Central Florida? I live in Winter Park.

Mark

Valrico (suburb of Tampa) GO Rays!!!!

I'm a little disappointed at the participation numbers down here, but it doesn't seem to be much different from the SCCA. I'm sure it's result of the economy. Regardless, I plan to run both NASA events and SCCA events with the car. In SCCA, it will be in the (new?) ITO class, where there isn't that much participation either. My problem is scheduling. I've been with the Sheriff's Office here for 24 years, and I'm on duty every other weekend. That, and I got into Road Racing with the intent of building an AIX car after seeing the class evolve in magazines. I'm actually glad I was in AS first, as I was able to cure all the bad circle track habits I had. I corrected my approach to turns and improved from mid-2:50's to low-2:30's @ Sebring by simply tightening the loose nut behind the wheel. Once I'm finished with the AS to AIX conversion, I cannot wait to get the car out onto the track, but realistically I'm looking at mid-spring.

I look forward to meeting you someday.

Mark

Thank you all. I certainly will ask rather than discover I've goofed on a rule interpretation. Other than the two questions I've had, the rest seems pretty straight forward.

GC? Sorry, don't know the vernacular yet. We have 17 acres between Burnsville and Banner Elk. As a matter of fact, we're going up there in two weeks.

Thanks again guys.

Mark

PM sent

Shoot me an email (turboshortbus at aol dott comm) or a PM if you ever find yourself in the Orlando area on a weekend or in the evenings.

Mark