On-board video mandatory in race cars?

Scany

I heard as the drivers meeting went on last Saturday that Cobetto mentioned something about a mandatory video setup in the racecars. Any more information about this from those who attended the meeting, or happen to know something?

I'm just about to get something, but want to make sure I don't buy something that's not compliant.

It was a bit confusing as he was saying it and apparently it was the first time the majority had even heard that it might be coming.

As I understand it, they want mandate cameras in every car to help in disputes and contact issues.

They are going to mandate a file type, but not necessarily a specific camera. I'm thinking you'll be OK if you make sure you get a camera that has multiple major file formats.

Cobetto did say to watch for a thread. I'm assuming it'll be in the Mid-Atlantic forum. He also said that they'd be working on a group buy for an inexpensive camera ($150 - $180 range, or less)

This might be a slippery slope here, imo. Are they going to DQ you if your camera stopped working for whatever reason (file full, battery issue, etc)

It was a bit confusing as he was saying it and apparently it was the first time the majority had even heard that it might be coming.

As I understand it, they want mandate cameras in every car to help in disputes and contact issues.

They are going to mandate a file type, but not necessarily a specific camera. I'm thinking you'll be OK if you make sure you get a camera that has multiple major file formats.

Cobetto did say to watch for a thread. I'm assuming it'll be in the Mid-Atlantic forum. He also said that they'd be working on a group buy for an inexpensive camera ($150 - $180 range, or less)

This might be a slippery slope here, imo. Are they going to DQ you if your camera stopped working for whatever reason (file full, battery issue, etc)

Thanks!

I think it's a great idea. When part of a racecar involves a $400 transponder, I'm sure a $200 camera will be easier to accept, and it also has other benefits for the driver. If I were to total my car and I knew someone got away with bad behavior and didn't have to answer to it because it wasn't seen, I'd be super pissed Video will prevent that. We make sure we have operating and running engines, suspension, safety equipment etc. I'm sure we can manage a video camera as well

I've been checking some cameras lately, Aiptek, RE-play XD, Chasecam and Go Pro Hero. One of my criterias was HD, and after seeing the GoPro I just can't see why that's not the best one to get right now. It is good to go with Trackvision software and whatever data aqusition you run as well. Comes with plety of mounting options, small, and rugged in a protective case.

The only problem I have with GoPro, and Replay is that turning them on as you leave grid is a problem when you are strapped in. Aiptek you can use with a remote control, and chasecam senses movement.

Any other suggestions? Most of these cameras store .MOV or MPEG4 video, which I'm sure will be compatible with NASA MA's requirements. But I'm holding off for when an announcement shows up.

I have the GoPro HD and think it's great for the price...the only other issue besides remote on is that the sound is crap.

The work around for the remote on is a bigger SD card...I have a 32gb card, so I just turn it on as I'm buckling up....on the back side, this requires editing later on.

The new battery in this one is excellent...works pretty much the whole weekend (if you remember to turn it off between runs )