• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tim Comeau

• cbuzz

• Norman#99

• sagoston

Joe and Tim, thanks for the info. I need to check the tranny mounts and I need to look for runout on the stub axles (or whatever they're called) coming out of the transaxle. Otherwise it is either something internal, the car being too low, or possibly driver error (offs, riding curbs too hard?). For a while I've been thinking it could just be repeated failures from old parts (most of the CVs were quite worn) but this last incident was the axle itself failing and the CV was pristine. I suppose I could just call it coincidence and an undetected fracture in the axle, at least to get me through the season. Then I can figure out the root cause in the off season, and maybe upgrade to a multi-stage nitrous system

Charlie, I'm flattered

You're very welcome. Could be several things at the same time. Just let me know if you want me to bring spare axles to BW. I have both early and late ready to go for my street customers.

CV rubber boots breaking and losing grease? Some CV joints should not be rebuilt, but rather, recycled. Offs that result in sudden massive wheel spin then regrip and accelleration force are hard on the joints. I've been told to make sure I keep my original German steel axles and not newer Asian built repros. I've seen guys apply wheel bearing grease to CV joints. Wrong product. Bearing grease is for high temp, CV grease is for high pressure loads. Check your CV bolts often.

Norman in answer to the question of my attendance it is a tentative yes. I had a rather serious accident at the October event and sustained significant cosmetic damage to the rear. The 50/50 rule works fine if look at the car from the front or side. It does not appear to have damaged the frame or allignment of the car. If I can get it fixed or pass the 50/50 rule then I will be in attendance. While running faster ( I have that pro built cheater motor ) I still suspect to be just a huge figure in your rear view mirror .

As for the Best Western coment hear it is better but the Buttonwillow motels set a low bar. Hamton Inn is usually $89 and is the same time to track as the Best Western. I think the Buttonwillow motels due to heavy competative pressure throw in all bugs free of charge

Thanks John and Tom for the hotel/motel information,

Tom, I know they were more strict at Nationals with the 50/50 rule, you might want to check for a temporary local exception to the rule so you can run.

Timmy C, do you have a current list of 944's going?

Norm,

This forum is the best and most current indicator of the 944 drivers attending. We'd be honored by the attendance of such a fine southern gentlemen driver as yourself!

Tom,

Sorry, to hear about your bash! I hope to have some monetary help for you soon.

Please, encourage all to register asap.

The Capt has returned from the wood turning class in North Carolina. I made a massive pile of wood chips in a week. Too bad there is not a market for them.

After talking to Norm today, I decided not to throw in the 944 towel and give one more shot at finding out what demon inhabits my car. Gregg sent me the frame specs so I hope to check and see if the frame is bent.

I will probably do a half day on Friday if I can get the car on the frame machine at Adult Ed and get a pull done.

Great to hear that you will be there Capt.

We should plan on swapping cars around on Friday to let others see what differences there are between them.

I will be working with Everett on Friday to help get him up to speed. Does anyone have a car with a passenger seat?

Charlie,

Everett's car has a passenger seat with a 5-point harness. I wanted to work with Everett last time at BW but we couldn't get the opportunity in HPDE 3. A Friday would be better.

We're almost done with his car now.

Wasn't Jim Richmond's car driven at Willow and assessed as ok? It turned in fine?

The car is still in the body shop so not 100% I will make it next week. If the car is ready planning to at least do testing Friday afternoon. I had heard Chris Allen was planning on attending, however know he is trying to get a new motor somethng about down on power and needing to catch me.

Tom,

The rear light housing shipped on Tuesday and the rear bumper shipped on Wed. You should have seen the look on the UPS Store girl's face when I set the bumper up on the counter. "I don't know if we can do that." Yada yada , "Box this and bubble wrap that......

Luckily, in walks the UPS delivery guy and he says, "Oh yeah, no problem. Just wipe the dust off and slap a sticker right on the bumper itself." Off it went.

I would leave it red so the Miata guys can home in on it better.

I just shipped an aluminum racing seat and did the same thing just put a sticker right on the seat. The cost was way less since I did not have to factor in the box size.

Tim thanks for parts update. It would appear the Miata guy has figured out how to find me already so no need to help him there. Hopefully all complete by next weekend and back on track

POINTS UPDATE:

With the current points showing 14 of the 16 races for 2010, and dropping the worst 2 weekends of performance so far, the points shake out like this:

Buzzetti 1000

Niedernhofer 923

Agoston 885

Comeau 855

Foxx 840

Atteberry 720

Delano 693

* Buzzetti and I both missed 2 weekends so those are our drops.

* Tyler is way back in the points but will be in contention to take away the winning points in our last event.

* The distinguished gentleman from Virginia, Norm Hamden, is going to be a top finisher guaranteed, again taking some much needed points away from Niedernhofer, Agoston, Comeau, and Foxx. (Some are saying he's a hired gun from the Foxx stable to do just that..........)

Best 12 out of 16 races!!.....

Who's your money on?????????

..................anything can happen!