(another) Rule Question

Walther

Rule 7.6 pertains to catch cans, and states that (with the exception of rear end breathers) they cannot be mounted inside the driver’s compartment.

Rule 7.11.3 states AI vehicles cannot use dry sump oiling systems, by that I assume AIX vehicles can?

So, can I place a dry sump tank in the driver’s compartment? It’s “technically” a catch can and most are vented. If I can, does the vent have to be directed or plumbed to the outside of the car? IF not, may I ask where you guys are mounting the tank?

Thanks,

Mark

a Dry sump tank is hardly a catch can, more of a oil tank.

Read the rules, it is stated there where you can mount it and not

Thank you for your insightful and informative response. I suppose it would have been too much effort to actually quote the rule.

For anybody else reading this, neither the CCR or the AI rules state where a dry sump tank can be mounted, as far as I can tell. I certianly could have missed it. Your help with this question would be appreciated.

Mark.

Edited by Guest

You are correct, I looked through the rules as well and found nothing. Ive seen a few dry sump tanks in AIX and they all seem to be in the drivers compartment. So I would guess that its OK.

Since no one in 'X is jumping in, I'll give it a shot.

We run in AI, so no dry sumps and I don't remember where Griswold has his. I crewed on latemodels for a long time and we placed the tank inside the driver's compartment, roughly behind where the passenger seat would be. Most cars need right side weight and our Fox body is nose heavy so towards the rear is better. It's generally easier to run lines down the right side of the car too. All our latemodel engines had the external pumps mounted on the lower right and it was easiest to run lines along the frame rails, through the firewall and to a tank.

We have an Accusump on our AI car. The lines come off the remote oil filter adapter on the bottom left. Running the lines up, over and through things in front of the driver is a pain.

j

In my opinion, mounting a dry sump tank in the passenger compartment is no different than mounting an Accusump in the passenger compartment; the latter is legal, so the former should be legal as well. Whether nor not either one is a "good idea" is up to you.

You should be fine as long as this rule in the CCR is satisfied:

15.14 Hoses Inside Cockpit

All hoses carrying any liquids or any gases that go through the cockpit must be metal or steel braided. Any hoses that carry cold water, such as washer fluid, cool suit, etc. are exempt from this rule.

Now, if your dry sump tank needs to be vented or needs a catch can, then the vent/catch can will need to be located outside of the passenger compartment per the existing rules. Connect them with hose(s) per 15.14 and you should be fine.

Mark

Thank you Jim and Mark. (Mark, did you ever get the email with the pics?)

I have over two decades of experience running Late Models, Limited Late Models, and IMCA Modifieds; all with some success. That experience has both helped me and hurt me in my transition to Road Racing. (Hurt- because I basically had to re-learn my approach to turns) I always wanted to road race since my first trip to the 12-hours of Sebring in the early 80's. I'm having the time of my life now, and having a ball converting my AS car to AIX.

I am very familiar with dry-sump systems, what I do not know is how they apply to AIX rules. The rules do not "appear" to place limits on tank mounting locations. My plan was to mount the tank inside the cage, next to the passenger side door pillar (A-pillar). My tank has an integral cooler that needs ducted air to work. Personally, I like to keep the lines as short as possible. I'll have a passenger side mounted pump. A drivers side mounted pump will interfere with the steering servo and the shaft on the Woodward rack.

Thanks,

Mark

(Mark, did you ever get the email with the pics?)

Yes, and thanks for sending them! I went on vacation shortly thereafter and haven't had a chance to reply yet. I'll get to it this weekend, though.

Mark

A dry sump tank is not pressurized so any catch can that is mounted to is is mearly a vent and can be in the passenger compartment. If you mount the vent higher than the tank it will never fill and condensation will drain back to the tank. I used a braided line on the vent however.

7.6 Catch Tanks

All engine breathers and coolant overflow lines must vent to a catch tank of adequate capacity to hold any potential overflow. Catch tanks may not be mounted in the driver’s compartment with the exception of rear differential catch tanks.

7.6 does not mention anything about the catch tank being connected to a pressurized or unpressurized system; it only gives an exception for rear differential catch tanks being mounted in the driver's compartment. Based on that, I would route the dry sump catch tank/breather/vent outside of the driver's compartment per 15.14. A revision to 7.6 may be needed to provide clarification for its exact purpose, though.

Mark