?Advancing in HPDE?

nukblazi1

Hello,

I participated in my first HPDE at VIR with the MA region this past weekend. On my passport, I received mostly 1s and 2s, and only a couple 3s. I was also signed off for "solo" after the first run of Sunday.

Will I advance to HPDE 2 in my next event?

Thank you,

Thomas

The Groups: We have four groups, which means we run four groups of cars on the track in three to four sessions each per day. Sessions last anywhere between 20 to 30 minutes, depending upon the event. Run Groups are based almost entirely on driver experience and skill, and each one contains about 15 cars per mile of track.

Group 1: "Novice" drivers are those who have driven at zero or very few track days and have never been "signed off" by an instructor for solo track driving. Signing up for Group 1 requires an instructor. Passing other cars in Group 1 is only allowed on straights and only after the driver of the lead car signals that it's safe to pass.

Group 2: "Intermediate" drivers are those who have driven at some track days on at least one track and have been "signed off" by an instructor on at least one track. Signing up for Group 2 requires an instructor. Passing other cars in Group 2 is only allowed on straights after the driver of the lead car signals.

I can't speak for the region that you are from specifically, however, if it were me, I would be signing up for HPDE2 for my next event. In group 2 you will still spend time in classroom instruction and an instructor will be working with you on furthering your high performance driving abilities. Then you get to go solo again refining the new skills that you've learned along with the ones that you learned in group 1. One thing that sets NASA apart - if you are not comfortable with the higher speeds and additional passing opportunities, you can always ask to go back to group 1 for another weekend - and no one will give you a hard time for it.

Thank you, Brian.

I am very comfortable on the track, at speed, and very comfortable with my car knowing it's characteristics very well. Though I did learn from HPDE 1, a lot actually, I mostly found the slower traffic a bit frustrating and impairing in that it was hard to find someone to follow around the track and I was often heavy into the brakes on the straights waiting for point-bys. I was thinking group 2 would be a nice home for me for a while. I learn the most by getting rides with the instructor group.

Thank you again for your response.

Tom

Thank you, Brian.

I am very comfortable on the track, at speed, and very comfortable with my car knowing it's characteristics very well. Though I did learn from HPDE 1, a lot actually, I mostly found the slower traffic a bit frustrating and impairing in that it was hard to find someone to follow around the track and I was often heavy into the brakes on the straights waiting for point-bys. I was thinking group 2 would be a nice home for me for a while. I learn the most by getting rides with the instructor group.

Thank you again for your response.

Tom

how many events have you done? 1st thing Sat am at your next HPDE Dan is going to ask, how many of you have 5 events or less. If you raise your hand he is going to have people watch you like a hawk. Don't feel that you need to advance to quickly. Just because you got high marks in your passport think about what those things are. If you can demonstrate each and every one of them consistantly without thinking about it then you move to the next group. You don't want to be 'working on those things' in Group 2 and trying not to get run over. Make sure you can accomplish what is in that book almost effortlessly. It will pay off HUGE when you do advance to the next group. You can always work on things even if you are in traffic. HPDE is not about turning a fast lap. It is about learning how to handle a car on a track. Once you do, the speed will just 'happen'.

--chad

Yes, our system is 1-5 with 1 being "consistently demonstrates".

Chad is correct, you should not be moving to the next group until you have completely mastered all of the skills needed to do so. The group 1 skills are very basic, they all need to be instinctive before progressing.

For example, if you were often slamming on the brakes on the straights just because you didn't get a point-by right away then you still need to work on planning (and probably looking) ahead and driving in traffic. The group you're in has nothing at all to do with your car's speed or the lap times you can turn. This isn't a competition.

You will certainly learn a great deal by riding with instructors and it's common for a student to be able to go much faster after doing so, through imitation. This can be a double-edged sword, particulary if the student has a fast car, since he hasn't truly mastered all the skills necessary to safely drive at this level under all conditions.

Like learning anything, skipping the basics and jumping ahead to the more advanced material is a bad idea. Just to put things in perspective: I've been doing this for almost 20 years and have helped many students move through the ranks of NASA and other organizations, but I still learn something new at each event and hope to continue to do so. Patience, on track and off, is one of the more important and difficult skills to completely master. The learning curve is steep at the beginning, try not to fall off.

Looking back, I need to look at how I use my words on this topic more carefully.

To summarize, I was curious if 2 was the right place for me. My intent is not to arm myself for an arguement to move to 2, but rather to understand what the experience members here thought. The interests on my part in 2 are motivated by high interest in learning more and with my comfort with the level 1 focus. Does that mean I mastered all of 1? No, so I think I should do more 1 level events. However, I noted as did my instructor that 90% of them did come naturally i.e., effortlessly.

The reason I was heavy into the brakes waiting for point-bys were several fellow HPDE 1 participants roamed the track while giving them, and often point-bys came from the wrong side per our instructions. It was less pre-planning or forethought than unpredictablity. This lack of trust that directions would be followed also is a big motivation for the desire to be in 2, where there were clearly a tighter range of skill levels.

None-the-less, point taken and I will request HPDE 1 again, and let instructors and Dan decide when I should be moving to 2. Please understand that I am not some gun-ho child in the car. Nor is this a big HP car. It's 200whp/3400lbs. with minor motor and suspension enhancements for track and autocross. I view HPDE as a means to learn the proper skills and EARN my competetion lic. down the road, otherwise I would just pay for the SCCA schools and buy the Lic. I know they are not a competition, but rather a medium to learn and develop the skills while receiving seat time to practice them.

I learned and had fun at this event, there will be no falling off. Thanks!

Tom

Looking back, I need to look at how I use my words on this topic more carefully.

Tom, judging by "how you used your words" this time, it sounds like you truly "get it".

Good luck and have fun.