TT -> 2011 rules speculation! (Joke Thread-outrageous ideas)

Markus

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• TurboShortBus

• L98Terror

• Varkwso

I'd like to see what would happen when you put some fat 180 TW DOTs against skinny R-comps.

I'd put my $$ on the R comps

I'll take that bet if its a smartly built street tire car. And I'll especially take that bet when R-comps go up in points AGAIN next year

And I'll especially take that bet when R-comps go up in points AGAIN next year

I hope not. if I end up with another pile of brand new sticker, obsolete Hoosiers like last off season, I'll be headed off to ST2

Anybody driving anything other than a ford product take's 6 extra point's except vette's they will take 12.

Robert

ford lover

I'd actually be fine with this rule, who cares how Mustangs are classed...since they're always sitting in the paddock busted anyway.

How about -21 pts for tracking an automatic

With an auto, a manual valve body, a ratchet shifter, and a bigass fluid cooler, you can pretend you have a sequential gearbox!

Mark

Lets go further with it:

DOT Approved Street Tires over 180 treadwear not on any exclusion list @ -5 pts

Actually, I don't see anything wrong with giving a break for true "street" tires. I'd like to see what would happen when you put some fat 180 TW DOTs against skinny R-comps.

Mark

I'd like to see something like this. It would put some emphasis back on "compete in your street car on the track" -- I know that is not the motto, but it is an advertising point used by NASA.

For TTR, TTU, TTS:

Keep the tire rules as they are.

For TTA-TTF:

Up the maximum no-points class tire by 20mm and set the class minimum treadwear at 100. I know that knocks out the magic donuts (A6, R6 and C91), but it would bring some of the expenses down by having tires that last more than 10 heat cycles.

If we are going to keep the "street" in the cars by not mandating rollbars, why not keep us on "streetable" tires?

-Kevin

Lets go further with it:

Actually, I don't see anything wrong with giving a break for true "street" tires. I'd like to see what would happen when you put some fat 180 TW DOTs against skinny R-comps.

Mark

I'd like to see something like this. It would put some emphasis back on "compete in your street car on the track" -- I know that is not the motto, but it is an advertising point used by NASA.

For TTR, TTU, TTS:

For TTA-TTF:

Up the maximum no-points class tire by 20mm and set the class minimum treadwear at 100. I know that knocks out the magic donuts (A6, R6 and C91), but it would bring some of the expenses down by having tires that last more than 10 heat cycles.

If we are going to keep the "street" in the cars by not mandating rollbars, why not keep us on "streetable" tires?

-Kevin

It would be a fundamental change in the way NASA TT runs and would knock the Hoosier contingency off the table for TTA-TTF. Isn't Redline Time Attack on street tires?

It would be a fundamental change in the way NASA TT runs and would knock the Hoosier contingency off the table for TTA-TTF.

Unfortunately, the Hoosier contingency is one downside to my suggestion. I guess an alternative would be to up the points of the A6 and C91 and leave the R6 on the table as an alternative in the base class tire size. Mark and Scott will probably dog pile me this weekend with my ideas,

Isn't Redline Time Attack on street tires?

I am not sure, Jeff. Never looked into Time Attack.

The "break point" for treadwear is somewhere around 180-200 with most autocross groups, Lemons, etc., so maybe we could go with that. That would leave plenty of cushion between true street tires and R-comp DOTs.

It would be easier to have a single line item credit for true street tires than to have another chart for true street tire width based on base class. Less items in the TTA-TTF forms means fewer pages to sort through.

This may open the door for contingency from other manufacturers who want to promote their true street tires, as well as keep things competitive with the existing contingency manufacturers. At the end of the day, I'll probably stick to the most generous contingency program, anyway.

Mark

Lets go further with it:

Mark

For TTR, TTU, TTS:

For TTA-TTF:

-Kevin

Then you lose the consistency with PT, which currently has the same rules at TT...for the most part. PT cars are not going to want to use 140+ treadwear tires.

I agree with Mark, a one line credit to catch all street tires above a certain tread wear would work IMO...

Edited by Guest

I agree with Mark, a one line credit to catch all street tires above a certain tread wear would work IMO...

That might work, but I HIGHLY feel that a 180 street tire has no chance in hell of competing with a 40 r-comp. No matter how wide you allow the street tire. You'd have to allow a lot of points for the street tire for things such as power, aero or weight to come close to making up the difference.

For instance, a 275 A6 absolutely trumps a 315 NT01... and that is a 40 UTQG versus a 100 UTQG that is 40mm wider. This has been proven in TTA multiple times this year. A treadwear 180 tire will be at an even bigger disadvantage to an r-comp.

For the Z06s in TTA, any points you give in return for street tires would go for modifications that would bump the car into TTS due to other reasons (ie power-weight ratio, minimum weight, etc).

-Kevin

I do think that, if tire points changes are on the docket, it would be great if the 2011 rules came out before the December 15 deadline to cash in our tire contingency forms.

Mark

How about making TT a Spec Tire group and everyone has to Run RA-1's or 888's and get Toyo to come on board and support Regional events and Championships like they do race groups.

If your gonna dream.

How about leaving the rules alone for a year or two so we don't have to spend money just to stay where we are?

Agreed.

Spec tire for TT? Go with Toyo and throw Hoosiers continued generosity out the window? Crazy talk!

I say we turn it into a contest of who can come up with the most ludicrous and unrealistic suggestions. Go.

just posting the most ludicrous and unrealistic suggestion LOL