Time Trial Logo?

Luke P.

• National Staff

Jake, not really. It was just what got posted when we made the website.

Hey, Dave and others! It is NASA Time Trial, not "Trials".

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TrackRat

• STRINGER

• speedengineer

• Greg G.

• National Staff
At least I got it right in the thread title.

So if we agree on something do we need to get it approved by NASA? Anyone know how that works?

Yes, anything that uses the NASA trademarked logo or series name needs to be approved by NASA. If not, it is a trademark violation.

I like the digital timer better than the stopwatch, and why not a checkered flag and maybe a fictitous road course track design. The clock has to be prominent like the earlier logo. Put like a 1:26.85 or something on it instead of zeros. Let ppl know what TT is about. I have NASA and TT stickers all over my car and when I drive it on the street I am still constantly asked "do you race it?" "what kind of racing?" Sorry, no graphic skills.

Luke,

I like some of what you produced. Could you try one without the circular "20th Anniv." logo? Also, I like the cleaner look of the 1st, 4th, & 5th...maybe try a "Time Trial" text as a banner splitting the NASA flag and the stopwatch time?

Anyway, here's another thought. Have you all seen the NASA logo on the HPDE Wizard page? I think it looks great, and we could easily replace the circular "tach" image with a circular "stopwatch" image. Here's what it looks like currently:

NASA%20Logo%20on%20HPDE%20pg.jpg

An added bonus to modifying that image is that we're pretty consistent with existing imagery.

Just a thought.

Hey, here's another thought: we cold also change the base color to red and then change the "flag" to "flames" to get a more intense race against the clock feel (rather than race to the checker feel, which is a bit misleading for TT). I dunno, just rambling now...

Best,

-j

Thanks Philostang, Here are some more. Let me know what you think?

NASABANNER10.jpg

_______________________________________________________________________________________

NASABANNER11.jpg

_______________________________________________________________________________________

NASABANNER12.jpg

NASABANNER13.jpg

NASABANNER14.jpg

NASABANNER15.jpg

NASABANNER16.jpg

NASABANNER17.jpg

NASABANNER18.jpg

NASABANNER19.jpg

NASABANNER20.jpg

1 hour, 10 minutes, and 53 seconds? That's a slow lap...

Mark

I just put numbers on it so there not zero's

Anyways can be any time of course.

And also its easy to take the S off Trials. These were just rough drafts to see if anyone likes them.

Also Philostang, you said something about flames coming out the back instead of the flag. Heres a really crappy looking rough

draft. But maybe gets the point across on what it would look like. It would take a long time to get the flames to look good.

NASABANNER21.jpg

• Members
TIME TRIAL, not TIME TRIALS.

I wonderd how long til you exploded!!!!

NASABANNER21.jpg

Ditch the flames and put a big black TT on the helmet.

[

Ditch the flames and put a big black TT on the helmet.

I really like this one a lot, so far the best one in my opinion. I do agree, no flames:

NASABANNER12.jpg

The only other suggestion would be to use the italicized NASA logo like the one above here on the forum and put TIME TRIAL in italic font, as above as well, below the NASA logo. I think that would be a winner!

Yep, I really like that modified HPDE logo! But I'm biased...

I think you're right Luke, making the flames idea work would take some time and finesse (I had in mind much smaller ones, more like the size of the original flag on the back of the driver's helmet). Anyway, the flag has grown on me now, so forget the flames.

The "TT" addition to the helmet is nice.

Just as a heads-up, the data-type convention for time is 00:00:00.00 (hr:min:sec.tenths, etc.). However, since this isn't a record keeping of data (it's a logo), you would be more visually correct to go with a graphic convention. Most stopwatches adhere to one of two, either the more common 00:00 oo (smaller numbers for the tenths, typically 3/4 the size of the minutes and second numbers) or the more classic 00' 00" 00 (min' sec" tenths, etc.). Occasionally you'll see 00:00.00 (min:sec.tenths), but I find this is more typical of stopwatch programs (for a computer or pda), betraying the data-biased conventions.

Just a geek-out moment from a former graphic designer.

Best,

-j

I think as drivers, we think/prefer digital time, however, graphically, I really like the analog stopwatch in front of the driver. I think is very expressive and representative of the sport. I do think either a "TT" or "Time Trial" needs to be added. After that call it done and send them them to print!

I think as drivers, we think/prefer digital time, however, graphically, I really like the analog stopwatch in front of the driver. I think is very expressive and representative of the sport.

Agreed.

The analog stopwatch (what with its revolving hands) seems to convey the passage of time much better than the digital numbers. This sets the logo visually "in motion/in time" better than the digital numbers.

At any rate, I'm a bit torn on the "TT" vs. "Time Trial" addition. Clearly, one seems to need to be added, I'm just torn on which. We saw the "TT" become Pi, so there's a danger in that. The full "Time Trial" is a good deal of imagery (as far as logos go), so the font selection and treatment needs to be carefully done.

In the end, I suspect that Shawn's previous suggestion to italicize the text (along with updating to the more current italicized "NASA") will be the way to go. Now that font...ugh! I used to agonize over dozens of iterations. Wow, you can take the geek out of the studio, but you never really get the studio out of the geek.

Good luck Luke!

-j

I like the checkered flag background, but visually, I really like the stop watch in front of the driver. I think it implies the driver is really watching the time. I think visually, it's more expressive. The newer NASA log is good, but what about a different font for the "Time Trial"?