Time Trial Logo?

Luke P.

I like the checkered flag background, but visually, I really like the stop watch in front of the driver. I think it implies the driver is really watching the time. I think visually, it's more expressive. The newer NASA log is good, but what about a different font for the "Time Trial"?

Stop watch idea noted for sure. I just threw a little something together...even though it was like the others. I think its a good start idea. As far as a font...I am open to suggestions for sure. I just kinda threw something in there. I did like the wind effect on the driver by the way. It added to the effect I think.

Give me a little bit to come up with something else. Please feel free to suggest a font to use.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TrackRat

• STRINGER

• speedengineer

• Greg G.

Updated as per request....

tt2.jpg

Of course the font for the Time Trial can be changed. I just put something different in there.

Again...I am just using ideas from the thread. None of the images are mine. I just placed them in the graphic.

tt2.jpg

Of course the font for the Time Trial can be changed. I just put something different in there.

Again...I am just using ideas from the thread. None of the images are mine. I just placed them in the graphic.

I think this is looking good. What about trying to match the font on the "national auto sport..." and maybe reducing the size of the watch just a little. Minor/picky details, but I think that would finish it nicely. Looks great!

tt2.jpg

I think this is looking good. What about trying to match the font on the "national auto sport..." and maybe reducing the size of the watch just a little. Minor/picky details, but I think that would finish it nicely. Looks great!

You find me the logo font and I will make it so for sure. As far as the watch...I can work with that a little for sure.

• Members

I personally think it needs to be simpler. With that much going on, it'll be hard to see on a car and in pictures. Plus, to make more "room", you probably dont need the "NASA" part since all cars should already have NASA logos on all 4 sides of the car. No need to double that up.

Stringer, I really like where you went with this! I kinda copied yours (sorry..) but made a couple of tweaks. Thoughts?

-added transparency on the stopwatch

-got rid of "NASA" but kept "national auto sport association"

-put "time trial" on top rather than on bottom

-although I really like the checkered background, I took it out to keep it from getting a bit cluttered

-no blur on the driver

Yes, the font sucks, but I couldn't find any that I liked...

nasattlogo.jpg

Well, I'm a fan of simple designs. So here's a few comments:

1. I prefer the non-wind-swept version of the driver.

2. Torn on the checkered background...we probably need to see identical designs with and without it to evaluate.

3. Losing the "NASA" and keeping "National Auto Sport Association" has promise...

4. Definitely a smaller stopwatch

One way to accomplish the "smaller" stopwatch and still maintain large detail is to return to the way Luke originally did it. While it needed some finishing, notice how he cropped out most of the body of the stopwatch. The later renditions (using a crisper image) have the full watch - including the stem and chain ring. If we clip those and just keep the round body (or even half of it, maintaining just enough of the glare to identify it as the metal body), we could lose some of that busy quality that has begun to creep in. Also, like Luke's original, we only really need about a quarter-pie size of the watch to identify it (from roughly the 10-o`clock position to 2-`o`clock position). In Jason's version we've got almost the entire watch showing, and I think it can be sunk down into/behind the driver quite a bit - and then enlarged to get the detail of the numbers and arms.

Now the font.

I wish I had my old programs, we could nail this puppy down. Someone might want to try Eurostile, it's decently close to the font for "National Auto Sport Association." Try using that font with small-caps. Using all-caps might work, but I find it departs from the squatter font of "National Auto Sport Association." The small-caps kind of tricks the eye a bit into making that font look more squat. If someone has the appropriate software, you could likely condense Eurostile to really fit the font we're looking for as a match.

Having said that, I don't think we need to match "National Auto Sport Association," but if we're not matching then the flood gates open. FWIW, I actually liked the font Ronald first picked, kind of a fast/future-ish look.

Well, that's all. Time to wrap presents.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!!

-john

This has my vote - clean, simple and everything we've been discussing!

tt6.jpg

Agreed, this one is my favorite of the ones you just posted. The "time trial" font and two-tone color is great!

You guys have done a great job putting together this image. I like it too, and would only suggest making the stopwatch less detailed so that it better matches the more conceptual image of the driver.

Eh, I'm not as good at this as Ronald, but here is my attempt at simplifying the stopwatch a little bit.

tt2y.png

tt1l.png

yeah, yeah, I know my font still doesn't quite match..

I agree with Joshua's suggestion that a graphic (more abstract) stopwatch is better than a photo of one. I think that's what I was trying to get at when I said the very first stopwatch attempt had a better look - it matches the rest of the logo better.

I like elements of both of the last two stopwatches. The red sweep lines off of the dial arm are a nice touch on the first, and I like the thinner lines of the second. Of course, the second one has many of the same busy details as the photo versions (the numbers around the dial, the watchmaker logo under the dial arm, and that chain loop I so dislike). The first is greatly simplified, and a pretty nice match for the abstract driver.

Stringer's font looked like a better match, but that's an easy fix. I think we're getting real close!

Best,

-j

I like this one:

tt2y.png

but do pple actually drive with their arms straight? Maybe this is why I have been slow all these years...

I like this as well. I agree with Josh that the watch should be abstract and I like this one - just not the colors. Also agree that Stringer's font is the best so far for the 'Time Trial'. On the colors for the watch - I think the logo is 'bright' and the watch is 'dull' because of the gray. Any chance of using the colors already in the logo? This would help keep the color simple.

• 2 weeks later...

My 21 yr old son thinks the stopwatch is old fashioned...I asked him if he has ever seen one, and he said "no" and he is probably right. I personally haven't seen one that looks like that in probably 20 years.