2004 Z06 mod question

johnalley

I am wanting to do TTA in 2011 once I get experience doing some HPDE's. My question is can I add extra cooling to the car, oil cooler, tranny/ diff cooler and still run the car in TTA ?

Currently the only mod to car is a Vararam air intake and I am working on putting GM T1 sway bar kit on the car. I have read the rules and cannot find any points to add for cooling but am not sure. I understand that the '04 Z06 starts out with 7 points added and the air intake adds another 5 points. So I am starting out with 12 points beofre sway bar and tires, any help will be greatly appreciated as I am just getting started in this and am trying to learn as much as possible before I show up for my first NASA HPDE event.

The Vararam is a cold air intake, not an intake manifold.

So you take one point for this:

13) Modification of the OEM air intake/box, air filter location, air piping to the turbo/

supercharger/intercooler/throttle body/carburetor, or hood/fascia/fender air inlet(s),

outlets, or vents +1 (air filter upgrade alone—0 pts.)

Not sure where you got 5 points for the intake unless you were taking points for both of these:

19) Non-OEM or modified/ported throttle body +2; independent throttle bodies +4

20) Non-OEM, modified/ported, or deleted intake manifold: 4 cyl. +1, 6cyl. +2, 8 cyl. +3,

12A &13B rotary +2, all other rotary +3

The oil cooler/cooling mods would be under No Points Modifications:

13) Radiator upgrade/shrouding/fascia modification (drilled or cut holes/slots) that only provides

increased airflow to the radiator or oil/transmission coolers (without aerodynamic or engine

air intake improvement)

16) Oil systems and coolers other than added dry sump

Hope this helps.

The Vararam is a cold air intake, not an intake manifold.

So you take one point for this:

13) Modification of the OEM air intake/box, air filter location, air piping to the turbo/

supercharger/intercooler/throttle body/carburetor, or hood/fascia/fender air inlet(s),

outlets, or vents +1 (air filter upgrade alone—0 pts.)

Not sure where you got 5 points for the intake unless you were taking points for both of these:

19) Non-OEM or modified/ported throttle body +2; independent throttle bodies +4

20) Non-OEM, modified/ported, or deleted intake manifold: 4 cyl. +1, 6cyl. +2, 8 cyl. +3,

12A &13B rotary +2, all other rotary +3

The oil cooler/cooling mods would be under No Points Modifications:

13) Radiator upgrade/shrouding/fascia modification (drilled or cut holes/slots) that only provides

increased airflow to the radiator or oil/transmission coolers (without aerodynamic or engine

air intake improvement)

16) Oil systems and coolers other than added dry sump

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for the info, it does help a lot. I still have 4 points to play with...just don't know what to use them on. Really looking forward to 2011 and getting my seat time in with the HPDE's so I can move up to TT

Thanks a lot for the info, it does help a lot. I still have 4 points to play with...just don't know what to use them on.

If you have sway bars and an air box upgrade that's only 3 points. You still have 9 to spend.

Thanks a lot for the info, it does help a lot. I still have 4 points to play with...just don't know what to use them on.

If you have sway bars and an air box upgrade that's only 3 points. You still have 9 to spend.

On the classification form it says if you have a star next to your car on the master list you have to add 7 points. If I am reading the chart correctly is shows a star next to a 2004 Z06

On the classification form it says if you have a star next to your car on the master list you have to add 7 points. If I am reading the chart correctly is shows a star next to a 2004 Z06

Correct. You have 19 points to stay in TTA. 19 less the 7 for the star, and 3 for the mods leaves you 9 points.

The best use of the last 9 points would be the 275 Hoosier A6's

As listed below the base tire size for TTA is 295, by running a 275 you will get -4 so the 275 Hoosier A's are a 9 point tire.

1) The following DOT-approved R-compound tires: Hankook Z214 (C90 & C91 compounds

only), Hoosier A6 +13

5) The following tire sizes will be used as the base tire size for each Base Class for all

vehicles regardless of their OEM tire size(s). All vehicles in a given base class may use

this tire size (or smaller) without a points assessment:

TTA: 295 mm, TTB: 265mm, TTC: 255mm, TTD: 245mm, TTE: 235mm,

TTF: 215mm, TTG: 195mm, TTH: 175mm

Tire width points assessed or points credited are determined by the difference between the

width of the largest tire on the vehicle and the assigned base tire size as follows:

Equal to or greater than: 10mm +1, 20mm +4, 30mm +7, 40mm +10, 50mm +13,

60mm +16, 70mm +19, 80mm +22, 90mm +25, 100mm +28, 110mm +31, 120mm +34, etc.

Equal to or less than: -10mm -1, -20mm -4, -30mm -7, -40mm -10, -50mm -13, -60mm -16,

-70mm -19, -80mm -22, -90mm -25, -100mm -28, -110mm -31, 120mm -34, etc.

So if you take your 9 point tire add +1 for your Vararam +2 for your sway bars you are at 12 mod points, then add +7 for the * and you are right at 19 points. Now all you have to do is work on getting your weight down. The minimum weight for your car is 3118 - that's with you in the car and whatever fuel load you're planning on running. If you can get the weight down it will help those 275's work a lot better. There also is a very long list of free mods that you can do which will help you out a bunch.

with alot of these TTA 'vettes you also have to watch that you'll be good on that adjusted hp/weight cap as well. It'd have to be a weaker dynoing car to be good on that adjusted hp/weight limit at 3118 iirc, even with the 275 tire width credit.

Yes, with a weight of 3118 and 275mm tires, the actual wt/hp ratio is 8.3? Thus, 3118/8.3 == 375.66 rwhp. That's with no margin. So, you can bet 370 would take care of dyno weirdness and so forth. A good LS6 with no mods can kick that out pretty easily, even with stock exhaust and so forth.

There are many ways to get to the ideal wt/hp and points sweet spot, but the most successful seems to be to start with the stickiest tires you can get and base everything off of that.

Also remember that very soon, the rules will be revised for 2011. Thus, some things might change.

OK , I think I am about done with questions ...for now. In looking at suspension mods for my 2004 Z06 I want to do the following:

1) pfadt sway bar -- 2 points

2) pfadt control arm bushing kit -- any points for this?

3) pfadt chamber kit --- any points for this ?

4) pfadt sway bar pillow block kit -- any point's for this?

Already have Vararam air intake -- 1 point

Z06 -- 7 points

Hoosier R6 tires -- 6 points

Sway bar -- 2 points

Looks like I have 3 points left if I want to go with A6 tires instead of R6. That is assuming that items 2,3 & 4 above are 0 point mods.

Am I on the right track?

Wanting to stay in TTA with the 2004 Z06

3) may fall under this...

7) Replace or modify control arms (other than plates, shims, slots, or eccentric bolts/bushings for simple camber/caster

adjustment only) or RWD/AWD rear trailing arms (may have spherical/metallic joint(s) for connection to the

spindle/knuckle) +4

Edited by Guest

you sure Joe? read whats in the parethisis AFTER looking at the part in question...

That's a very common +0 mod on the SpecC5Z06s I mean TTA cars... or something

I read his second mod, the control arm bushing kit, as just controls arms...my mistake. It could be 0 points, not sure how the corvette guys achieve camber. The Z needs aftermarket control arms for camber.

OK , I think I am about done with questions ...for now. In looking at suspension mods for my 2004 Z06 I want to do the following:

1) pfadt sway bar -- 2 points

2) pfadt control arm bushing kit -- any points for this?

3) pfadt chamber kit --- any points for this ?

4) pfadt sway bar pillow block kit -- any point's for this?

Already have Vararam air intake -- 1 point

Z06 -- 7 points

Hoosier R6 tires -- 6 points

Sway bar -- 2 points

Looks like I have 3 points left if I want to go with A6 tires instead of R6. That is assuming that items 2,3 & 4 above are 0 point mods.

Am I on the right track?

Wanting to stay in TTA with the 2004 Z06

Sway bar is two points. And some of the best two points you can spend, IMO.

As long as the bushings are not spherical joints, it's no points (as far as I've been judged by tech). VB&P or Pfadt make good bushings. Mine are Pfadt.

Camber kits are fine, as they are (for the vette) just shims or modification of the eccentric bolts that change the camber.

Pillow block kits are also fine, again, as far as three years of tech says.

Am I on the right track?

I think you have that flipped around

You would have 3 points to play with if you want to run R6's.

You will definatly want to go with the Hoosier A6 once you get to TT, but when you are doing HPDE you're better off running the R6 because they will last longer and you don't need to be going through A6's every weekend or two when you're doing HPDE. Just make sure you don't do any other mods that may bump you into TTS.

Make sure you stop over by us and introduce yourself to Geff and I at your first event, we will make sure to keep you headed in the right direction. Good to see another TTA car in the region.

Am I on the right track?

I think you have that flipped around

You would have 3 points to play with if you want to run R6's.

You will definatly want to go with the Hoosier A6 once you get to TT, but when you are doing HPDE you're better off running the R6 because they will last longer and you don't need to be going through A6's every weekend or two when you're doing HPDE. Just make sure you don't do any other mods that may bump you into TTS.

Make sure you stop over by us and introduce yourself to Geff and I at your first event, we will make sure to keep you headed in the right direction. Good to see another TTA car in the region.

Sure will, as I get more into this I am sure my questions will get harder. Just having a hard time going over all these mod points. Just got the car dynoed and have some concern that my weight to hp is over before any mods other than the vararam. The car dynoed at 377.85 hp, not sure what the weight is but maybe I need to start eating a lot of pie to up the weight. I plan on doing a lot of the Midwest and Great Lakes events to get plenty of seat time in for 2011, goal is to get TT license in 2011. Hope veterns don't mind having a rookie asking a lot of questions.

...but when you are doing HPDE you're better off running the R6...

I want to be the person who sells tires to you guys.

IMO, R6s are massive overkill for any HPDE use. But hey, it's your money...

Mark

Sure will, as I get more into this I am sure my questions will get harder. Just having a hard time going over all these mod points. Just got the car dynoed and have some concern that my weight to hp is over before any mods other than the vararam. The car dynoed at 377.85 hp, not sure what the weight is but maybe I need to start eating a lot of pie to up the weight. I plan on doing a lot of the Midwest and Great Lakes events to get plenty of seat time in for 2011, goal is to get TT license in 2011. Hope veterns don't mind having a rookie asking a lot of questions.

At 378 rwhp you can't weigh less than 3180 (Remember that's with you in the car plus fuel) If you still have a full interior you will easily be over that - probably somewhere around 3350. So you'll have plenty of weight to cut to get down to 3180.

We love talking shop, so feel free to ask all the questions you want, we'll be at all of the MW events plus the Mid-O GL events next year, so we'll be around.

...but when you are doing HPDE you're better off running the R6...

I want to be the person who sells tires to you guys.

IMO, R6s are massive overkill for any HPDE use. But hey, it's your money...

Mark

Acutally we have 2 sources for used racing tires so we can get scrubs for $85-$100 per tire, cheaper than street tires and definatly more fun. Most of the guys in HPDE4 up here are on some sort of R-compounds.

Plus if this guy is looking at running TT he would want to get used to R-compounds - probably not in HPDE 1 or 2 but definatly once he's comfortable.

The 2010 TTA National champ started out in HPDE 1 this year running Hoosier A's from the start. So if your goal is TTing then maybe it's not so bad.

probably not in HPDE 1 or 2 but definatly once he's comfortable.

I took his HPDE-1 level into consideration when I wrote that, since it's more important to get seat time than to buy faster tires. Note that my low-end TTD/Mustang budget won't allow me to think about using R-comps when it doesn't matter, but Corvette-level spenders apparently have different priorities.

Mark