bpanther

Instructor Clinic - January 15th

bpanther

NASA Texas will be holding it's first Instructor Clinic of the season!!!! Saturday January 15th at Harris Hill Road (H2R).

http://harrishillroad.com/

San Marcos, TX (Near Austin)

Who: The NASA Instructor Clinic is open to any advanced driver (HDPE4 equivalent, TT or racer) who would like to learn what it is like and what it takes to become a NASA certified instructor. You do not need to be a current NASA member to attend and we often see instructors from other organizations attending to "keep on top of their game".

The Clinic is also open to any current NASA instructor as you will likely learn something new every time and you will be looked upon to help coach the new candidates.

What Happens: The NASA Instructor Clinic is a one day format and is split between in-classroom and on-track sessions. On-track sessions involve role-playing scenarios as well as just some time to just drive. In classroom sessions cover coaching techniques, dealing with unique situations, personal interactions with HPDE students and theory on why we teach what we do in the NASA HPDE program.

What you need to bring: A car suitable to use on track for scenarios (a normal street car with passenger seat), a helmet and a desire to learn.

What happens after all that: After completing the NASA Instructor Clinic, you will decide along with the NASA Chief Instructor and HPDE Group Leaders if NASA is a good match or not. Instructing with NASA is not for everyone, but this clinic will help you decide if it's something that you would enjoy or not. Likewise, the clinic gives the NASA staff some time to evaluate you as a potential instructor for us. If you pass and are invited on board to Instruct with NASA you'll be invited to come out to events and participate as a Provisional Instructor. After a couple of events with positive feedback from your HPDE students and you'll become a certified NASA Instructor with all the full benefits.

Who runs the Instructor Clinic: The Chief Instructor and crew of HPDE group leaders are your hosts for the day. For the first clinic, we will have help from some of the HPDE staff from NASA Rocky Mountain. Over the past 4 years, they've hosted half-dozen clinics, attended coaching seminars and graduated dozens on new instructor candidates.

More details to follow (i.e. any costs, times, etc)......

Edited by Guest

bpanther

Group Leaders...... Above I mentioned HPDE Group Leaders a couple of times. Ryan Logan and I are going over the list of current NASA Texas instructors looking for potential group leaders.

An HPDE group leader is someone who is in charge of each particular HPDE group. Student assignments, on-track supervision, running of download sessions and being the go to person for that group are a few of the responsibilities. We will be looking for 5-6 people to have as group leaders in NASA Texas.

If you think you might like the added responsibility and have the person, presentation and organizational skills to do a top notch job, please contact Ryan Logan or myself.

yakisoba

I'll definitely be at this one. Right in my home city. Perhaps in a couple of years, we can hold one at the F1 track?

bucketlist

Sounds like fun!

jvetthead

Normal street car might be a problem...

Will a vert with no roll bar work?

Other than that I would have to bring the non-street car or a truck.

kbrew8991

Joe - just call Hertz

Does HHR have sound restrictions..?

bpanther

A street car is preferable, but we can work around that. The big things is that the car must have a passenger seat and then the noice requirements at H2R.

The noise isn't terrible (no worse than most California tracks ), but straight pipes won't cut it.

And no, just like HPDE a vert w/o rollover protection won't work.

And while I don't condone rental cars, they would work perfect for this and have been used many times in the past.

Racebrat

My thoughts went immediately to David Love when thinking about an HPDE group leader- he instructs for TWS and is a regualr Tx racer!

johnd253

I'm up for this as well. Might be fun to share the addiction!

AllZWay

Dave... I have cleared my work schedule and plan to attend the clinic.

James Proctor

marshallmosty

Dave,

I will be there as well.

Marshall Mosty

(Current NASA TX Instructor)

bpanther

I am getting ready to put a registration page up for it. Just waiting to get H2R added to the list of tracks.

yakisoba

Cool. I have a photographer friend who was interested in coming. Is that OK?

tacovini

I don't see why a photographer friend couldn't come out.

Especially if he takes lots of pictures of the day and posts them for all to see!! <><>

-=- Todd

K Shaw

Dave count me in buddy. What ever you need. Just dont make me get on the intercom and call any more races

kyle

rlogan

At the rate my car is coming along I'll be calling Hertz...so sad!

Joe - just call Hertz

2bars
At the rate my car is coming along I'll be calling Hertz...so sad!

Joe - just call Hertz

hey ryan, it's john z. (red big wing miata, ttb) anywho, i'm not sure if i can make this instructor clinic before the first event, but i wanna turn in this instructor application i've had all year. (kept forgetting to give it to somebody at the events) i have been instructing for 3 years with pca, bmw, etc.. and did take the national instructor cert. program through pca in 2008. please lmk, and also keep us posted on cost for this clinic, if possible i'll try to make it and maybe i can turn it in there. thanks

mini_racer

I am registered and looking forward to the fun. See you guys there.

bpanther

Great turnout so far. We have 20 of the 30 allocated spots filled!!!!

AllZWay

I haven't gotten a hotel yet... where is everyone staying?

James

mitchntx
I haven't gotten a hotel yet... where is everyone staying?

James

I have one for Friday night in San Marcos.

mini_racer

Bump warning:

There has recently been some surface work done at H2R to address some bumps. I am happy to report that ~90% of the worst of it has been repaired. However, there are still a few bad spots, one of them is even coned off. Since I would expect there will be some on-track role playing, etc., even though we may not be at full speed it will be fast enough to be affected by the rough spots. Softer springs for this clinic are a plus.

mitchntx
Bump warning:

There has recently been some surface work done at H2R to address some bumps. I am happy to report that ~90% of the worst of it has been repaired. However, there are still a few bad spots, one of them is even coned off. Since I would expect there will be some on-track role playing, etc., even though we may not be at full speed it will be fast enough to be affected by the rough spots. Softer springs for this clinic are a plus.

The bump at the middle of the kink on the back stretch was a "hoot" first time the Caddy and I went sailing through there.

bpanther

Cool. We will work that into our scenarios.

With NASA TX and a few other groups coming on-line at H2R, they are starting to add some items and keep on top of bumps/etc.

Over the past few months I understand they have:

Added an AMB timing loop

More corner stations

Addressed a few bump concerns.

Very Nice!!!!