TurboShortBus

PBIR Time Trial entry list for December 4-5, 2010

obzezzed350
Evo's still down, needed to fix more then expected, $$ blah blah. I'd like to get my w2w wick wet, anyone got a cheap ride? I'd like to help out the pink porsche crew but I don't have that kind of coin.

I got a goped you can borrow!

Balroks
Evo's still down, needed to fix more then expected, $$ blah blah. I'd like to get my w2w wick wet, anyone got a cheap ride? I'd like to help out the pink porsche crew but I don't have that kind of coin.

Haha, i'd rock it, I ain't scur'ed!

Thanks Jimmy, she's at AWD so she's in good hands. Leaking BOV, bad MAF (cracked honey comb) so i'm switching to SD which likes VTA so two birds there and less parts to break, I "may" have a broken valve spring, clutch is pretty much toast (oem), electrical gremlin with my oil gauges, I'm still rubbing with those big ass tires so some massaging to do, and i've been overheating due to lack of air movement/shielding. Robispec's also visiting for the PRI show so i'm gonna guinny pig some goodies for him as well hopefully. All in all maintence items for such a machine so might as well get it all done and be ready for 2011 ST2 style Go out and get you a used pickup Jimmy and come join me

obzezzed350

You are gonna be lonely in ST2...

Balroks

If you race it, they will come, isn't that what you said?

obzezzed350

That doesnt apply to ST2

BlkGt3

Thanks Jimmy, she's at AWD so she's in good hands. Leaking BOV, bad MAF (cracked honey comb) so i'm switching to SD which likes VTA so two birds there and less parts to break, I "may" have a broken valve spring, clutch is pretty much toast (oem), electrical gremlin with my oil gauges, I'm still rubbing with those big ass tires so some massaging to do, and i've been overheating due to lack of air movement/shielding. Robispec's also visiting for the PRI show so i'm gonna guinny pig some goodies for him as well hopefully. All in all maintence items for such a machine so might as well get it all done and be ready for 2011 ST2 style Go out and get you a used pickup Jimmy and come join me

Man after reading that list of repairs/problems I'm glad I don't own an Evo,

Peter

TurboShortBus

With that being said, did Harry sell his Evo or is he just leaving it at home and bringing the old TTU Corvette because he actually wants to complete a single lap without the clutch going stupid on him?

Mark

32EVOIX

Dude, how in the world did all this happen? Not to jinks myself, but I think I have missed one event in the last three years or more, still running stock clutch, stock BOV. Broken Honeycomb, how does that happen? Need to roll the fenders more if possible raise the ride height for the rub. Now I know that Robi likes to run the car lower in the back part of his set up (which by the way, I do not understand) but you are going to have to raise it if you want to run those big meats.

32EVOIX

With that being said, did Harry sell his Evo or is he just leaving it at home and bringing the old TTU Corvette because he actually wants to complete a single lap without the clutch going stupid on him?

Mark

Don't know, I hope not.

32EVOIX

Peter

Peter,

What do you mean? I drive the piss out of my car and it is truly my daily driver as well. Again not to jinks myself, I am a very superstitious guy I am thinking I should not be having this conversation.

911s

Jimmy,

Performance Tread has made you a much more agreeable person. Who knew?

In that spirit, I would like to make a ungentleman's agreement with you that you let me win both days even if it is just the two of us. Remember, I am a customer too. The customer is always right yada, yada, yada....................

obzezzed350

Harry has the MR, which is pretty much a fancy automatic The ECU kept bugging out because the tranny was getting too hot or something. Roger at Japtrix tried all he could to get it to run but it would still start shifting early, well before redline. I think he is retiring it/trying to sell it.

32EVOIX
Jimmy,

Performance Tread has made you a much more agreeable person. Who knew?

In that spirit, I would like to make a ungentleman's agreement with you that you let me win both days even if it is just the two of us. Remember, I am a customer too. The customer is always right yada, yada, yada....................

I don't need to let you win you do a fine job all on your own.

32EVOIX
Harry has the MR, which is pretty much a fancy automatic The ECU kept bugging out because the tranny was getting too hot or something. Roger at Japtrix tried all he could to get it to run but it would still start shifting early, well before redline. I think he is retiring it/trying to sell it.

My tuner knows the problem and can fix it!

obzezzed350

Talk to Harry then, I would hate to see him take the loss on the sale of the car.

32EVOIX
Talk to Harry then, I would hate to see him take the loss on the sale of the car.

I have, but as the old saying goes “you can take a horse to water but you cannot make him drink”. Harry wants a car that he can just jump in and drive, to get that car to that point you have to tweak it several times. Furthermore, you cannot tune a car like this on the Dyno, boost has a direct relationship to load, and you cannot simply load the car on the dyno as you need to get it to work on the track. I too would also hate to see him get rid of that car I think it is the perfect car for him.

Balroks

From most of the posts i've seen on EvoM, all he needs is a trans cooler and those new clutches from SSP maybe, depending on how much power he's making. That tranny is said to be happy up to 350whp, and with that car that's like an exhaust, filter, and tune to get that . However even with just the cooler, there are TONS of MR's out there tracking all day long so it could be something more simple. I personally haven't heard of the issue where it can't be tuned on the dyno, I've actually seen it done and didn't see any of the early shifting and such, acted just fine. Seen a new Ralliart done the same way, same tranny.

As for my car, honeycomb I dunno either, just happened. I have two, one original from this car and one given to me which is the one that broke. I've heard of some that have sucked the honeycomb INTO the turbo when running uber boost, so I figure lets avoid that all together and see how speed density works. Keep it simple stupid ya know. Said to pick up 10hp too so we'll see. The rest are really consumables that will break eventually. I have the lovely reputation of finding......unique....ways of making things break during normal use wither its a car, computer, appliance, relationship but I can always fix it!

obzezzed350

Why are you still using a MAF anyway, Matt? My slow Z is tuned via MAP.

obzezzed350
If you race it, they will come, isn't that what you said?

Looks like I am eating my words already...we have a guy in ST2 this weekend. He was supposed to be a PTA car...so much for that

32EVOIX
From most of the posts i've seen on EvoM, all he needs is a trans cooler and those new clutches from SSP maybe, depending on how much power he's making. That tranny is said to be happy up to 350whp, and with that car that's like an exhaust, filter, and tune to get that . However even with just the cooler, there are TONS of MR's out there tracking all day long so it could be something more simple. I personally haven't heard of the issue where it can't be tuned on the dyno, I've actually seen it done and didn't see any of the early shifting and such, acted just fine. Seen a new Ralliart done the same way, same tranny.

As for my car, honeycomb I dunno either, just happened. I have two, one original from this car and one given to me which is the one that broke. I've heard of some that have sucked the honeycomb INTO the turbo when running uber boost, so I figure lets avoid that all together and see how speed density works. Keep it simple stupid ya know. Said to pick up 10hp too so we'll see. The rest are really consumables that will break eventually. I have the lovely reputation of finding......unique....ways of making things break during normal use wither its a car, computer, appliance, relationship but I can always fix it!

He has a big oil cooler I believe we got it from AMS. The problem will not show up on the dyno, and yes there are people that run cars all day long and have no problems just like they get 3 weekends out of R6's. On the other hand I get a weekend if I am lucky, and when you get on the car in track conditions the computer will knock it into safe mode if you drive the car hard, unless you know how to fix it in the tune. But fist you have to replicate the problem and log it so you know what you have to do.

By the way what kind of HP are you running? Have you put the car on a dyno? You mentioned 10 more HP, I am not getting it, you are running E85 correct? If so you have all the power you need to meet the 8.7:1 limit. With a stock turbo, intercooler etc.

spericas

From talking to Harry what he has is a tranny cooling problem. Googling I found a lot of info about that for the Evo X. I don't think knocking will switch the ECU into safe mode, it will retard timing instead. Harry could be an extra radiator away from fixing the problem. Greddy has a kit that uses 2 for this very issue.

-- Santiago

32EVOIX
From talking to Harry what he has is a tranny cooling problem. Googling I found a lot of info about that for the Evo X. I don't think knocking will switch the ECU into safe mode, it will retard timing instead. Harry could be an extra radiator away from fixing the problem. Greddy has a kit that uses 2 for this very issue.

-- Santiago

I did not mean knocking as in "knocking" I meant kicking into safe mode. He has a big tranny oil cooler, but these X's are tempermental with this problem. Anyways, like I said before, it can be fixed via tune.

TurboShortBus
Anyways, like I said before, it can be fixed via a "for sale" sign.

Fixed that for you.

Mark

spericas

-- Santiago

I did not mean knocking as in "knocking" I meant kicking into safe mode. He has a big tranny oil cooler, but these X's are tempermental with this problem. Anyways, like I said before, it can be fixed via tune.

Got you, my misundestanding. But I still can't find any reference indicating that this is fixable via a tune, unless you are talking about reducing the motor's output to reduce heat. Most of the solutions out there seem to involve additional hardware. I have a friend that is looking into buying one of these in CA, so we've been chatting about this issue. Is this something your tuner found out or is it public knowledge?

-- Santiago

TurboShortBus

Put a carburetor on it. Problems solved!

Mark