Jan in Omaha

2011 Mustang V6 TT class?

Jan in Omaha

Greetings,

I see that the 2011 Mustang GT is tentative for TTB (is that with the Brembo option?)

Any idea what class a 2011 Mustang v6 with the track pack option would be in?

Thanks!

TurboShortBus

Hi Jan,

For new cars that do not yet have a base classification, please email TT National Director Greg Greenbaum at [email protected] for the quickest and most accurate response.

There will likely be a base classification for a "plain" 2011 V6 Mustang, and you will add up the points for all items that the Track Pack modifications affect.

Mark

TurboShortBus
I see that the 2011 Mustang GT is tentative for TTB (is that with the Brembo option?)

Not likely, as the Brembo package is (as you stated) an option, and the appropriate points will apply just as points apply to any optional or non-OEM part that is above and beyond what the base listed model is equipped with from the factory.

Mark

smbstyle

reviving an old thread....

...what did this car end up being base classed in? after seeing the C&D Lightning Lap where it was on par with the 370z, and was also on the speed limiter for 15 seconds on one part of the track, I think this would be an excellent car with a fairly low entry and operating cost.

TurboShortBus

...what did this car end up being base classed in? after seeing the C&D Lightning Lap where it was on par with the 370z, and was also on the speed limiter for 15 seconds on one part of the track, I think this would be an excellent car with a fairly low entry and operating cost.

Ford Mustang V6 ('11)---TTD** 3600 lbs (1-18-11)

New and/or revised car classifications are generally posted here: http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13578

and here: http://www.nasa-tt.com/Rules/p2005_articleid/29

Mark

Varkwso

Ford Mustang V6 ('11)---TTD** 3600 lbs (1-18-11)

New and/or revised car classifications are generally posted here: http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13578

and here: http://www.nasa-tt.com/Rules/p2005_articleid/29

Mark

TTC may have a new contender!

Smike
TTC may have a new contender!

Its very tempting. 11 v6 Mustang is a TTD** 3600 car.

Since I have a "special edition" (Performance Package) I'll be:

+4 for 265 tires (OE was 255)

+2 in axle back exhaust

+3 for 3.31 gears (PP opt)

+3 for dampeners

+2 for springs

+2 for RSB

+2 for Panhard (even though its just a non-OEM so I could adjust for

susp change)

Scaled to 3630 with me in it and 1/4 tank.

TTD+14+16 = TTD + 30 = TTC car. Hmmmm.

TurboShortBus

Scratch that; axle gears are free per item I.d.4.

Mark

Smike

Scratch that; axle gears are free per item I.d.4.

Mark

Awesome! She might have to make one TT event this season.

TurboShortBus
TTD+14+13 = TTD + 27 = TTC car. Hmmmm.

I'm not sure how competitive it will be in TTC, but it might depend on your region. Just to analyze the adjusted weight/hp ratio (not that it means a lot):

3630 lbs / 270 rwhp (high estimate, as 306 flywheel x 85% driveline loss = 260 rwhp) = 13.44 lbs/rwhp

+0.4 for 250-275mm tires

+0.4 for 3600-3649 lbs

=14.24 lbs/rwhp

The TTD minimum is 14.25 lbs/rwhp (you are right on the money), and TTC is 12.00:1. You won't be at a favorable ratio for TTC, for sure. However, cars that aren't maxed-out on the ratio have been competitive in the past down here, but your ratio is off by a full class.

IMO, your best bet is to keep your modifications to no more than +5 points and stay in TTD, although the ** head start doesn't even allow for a +7 tire compound. I also noticed that you aren't assuming any points for a tire compound with a 200 treadwear or lower, and that will hurt you considerably.

To get 8 points back and stay in TTD:

Use 255mm tires (+1 instead of +3, so 2 back)

Reinstall stock panhard (2 back)

Reinstall stock mufflers (2 back)

Reinstall stock rear sway bar (2 back)

Total 8 points back

It might be worth considering reinstalling the stock springs to get 2 points back, and using a +2 tire compound.

Mark

Smike

I dynoed 273 whp and 252 wtq on a Mustang Dyno. Ford unclaimed the 305 bhp by a bit

Car is setup for SCCA STX class; very competitive in that area of racing.

I am running street tires for SCCA. Which are not listed as a point compound tire for NASA. I do have the room to run r-comps though for TTC. If I get my hands on some that fit, I might grab them.

And the Performance Package has the GT suspension / GT500 bits. My stock springs/struts still cost me points if I am honest about it.

TTD + 27 (add +7 or +10 for tires) = TTC.

TTD+14+13 = TTD + 27 = TTC car. Hmmmm.

I'm not sure how competitive it will be in TTC, but it might depend on your region. Just to analyze the adjusted weight/hp ratio (not that it means a lot):

3630 lbs / 270 rwhp (high estimate, as 306 flywheel x 85% driveline loss = 260 rwhp) = 13.44 lbs/rwhp

+0.4 for 250-275mm tires

+0.4 for 3600-3649 lbs

=14.24 lbs/rwhp

The TTD minimum is 14.25 lbs/rwhp (you are right on the money), and TTC is 12.00:1. You won't be at a favorable ratio for TTC, for sure. However, cars that aren't maxed-out on the ratio have been competitive in the past down here, but your ratio is off by a full class.

IMO, your best bet is to keep your modifications to no more than +5 points and stay in TTD, although the ** head start doesn't even allow for a +7 tire compound. I also noticed that you aren't assuming any points for a tire compound with a 200 treadwear or lower, and that will hurt you considerably.

To get 8 points back and stay in TTD:

Use 255mm tires (+1 instead of +3, so 2 back)

Reinstall stock panhard (2 back)

Reinstall stock mufflers (2 back)

Reinstall stock rear sway bar (2 back)

Total 8 points back

It might be worth considering reinstalling the stock springs to get 2 points back, and using a +2 tire compound.

Mark

TurboShortBus
I dynoed 273 whp and 252 wtq on a Mustang Dyno. Ford unclaimed the 305 bhp by a bit

Those numbers sound more favorable for TTC, although 2WD cars can only use a Dynojet 224 or 248.

Mark

Smike

Yeah, if for dyno reclass, correct?

I did it as part of the prototype driveshaft testing. v6 + oem driveshaft + over 118 wont happen.

Smike

All Mustang and Dynapack results are to be multiplied by 1.1 = 301 whp based on my results.

12.86 for the car. Closer to TTC.

TurboShortBus

If you're calculating your adjusted weight/rwhp ratio for any reason, then you should take a look at the new, improved Appendix C in the 2012 TT rules, as well as the 2012 dyno form. Running calculations with incorrect information doesn't help much. But, for bench racing, whatever...

Mark

Trevor57

I have a very strong feeling that car would not be competitive in D. You will not get enough tire under the car. Would be interesting in C though.

Smike

Car does not need to go though a dyno reclass in my book. We'll see if I take it out for a TT weekend. My SVTF is the go-to TT car.

kbrew8991
All Mustang and Dynapack results are to be multiplied by 1.1 = 301 whp based on my results.

Only allowed for AWD cars. 2wd must use Dynojet.

Will work to help make a better guess as to if you're good on the ratio or not though.

laze1

Note: this is NOT MY CAR!!

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=49446

For Sale:

SSB Mustang V6 - SE Div Champ, track records at Homestead, Sebring, VIR, Barber, Daytona, under existing track record this year at Mid-Ohio and also at Road Atlanta. (9) wins, (3) 2nd place finishes. Car was the national points leader from the start of the season until we parked it this month until the runoffs (1 point). Built by "The Hammer" from a street car that had been babied, anyone that has seen the car in person would tell you it is sharp looking. No wrecks, minor race front bumper dings, minor rear bumper scratches. Car can also run in ITR and STU as well. Can run in NASA although I am not sure where a showroom stock SSB car is classed as it sits???

Cage was a top dollar cage built by Robinson Racing in Atlanta and is a terrific cage, top notch. Sparco Ford Racing Seat, Scroth Profi II belts, Sparco steering wheel with quick release, wired for radio, push to talk button mounted on steering wheel, Ford racing V6 kit, Ford Racing panhard bar, (3) sets of wheels (2 black, 1 gunmetal), will include some scrubs and a set of rains mounted if I still have them. This is an ABS car and it brakes very well. Most everything is new and was/has been replaced. Will include a spare motor that can be rebuilt and a spare transmission that needs some work (bought as 4k spare but has issue) as well. Car would be at min weight with a lighter driver No transponder, wired for traqmate. Some spares included (whatever we have).

This car is available after the runoffs and can be taken directly from the track, no games etc. Or available before the runoffs if you want to pay extra to cover my already sunk housing, entry and travel costs. May be able to deliver (negotiable) on the east/south side of the country. Car qualfied fastest Wednesday qualyfier and then 2nd fastest Thursday only .160 off pole for the runoffs from the front row befire retiring with a power steering rack issue likely from an earlier visit to a gravel trap Wednesday. This car is likely the most expensive one built to date and it shows as do the results.

$17,500 OBO can work up a price without extra wheels, extra motor and extra transmission. Ford contingency money makes this a terrific deal for a proven winner against some of the toughest SSB drivers in the country, look at the results yourself this car can help pay for itself Was originally listed at $21,000 and would have sold for that after winning the runoffs, our bad luck equals your gain. Already built another car for another class so this one needs to gooooo

Car qualified fastest 1 day in qualifying at runoffs and then set 2nd fastest time last day of qualifying to start on the front row missing the pole by .160. Unfortunately lost power steering during race likely from an off course gravel visit that kinked the steering rack. This will be fixed this week or next and car is again fast enough to win anywhere, anytime and was proven fast enough to have won the big dance before the issue. Car had a healthy dose of new stuff installed for the runoffs as well that will last a season.

You can reach me at twin_turborx7 AT yahoo dot com

Smike

IMG_4513.jpg

Video:

3660 with little over 1/4 tank. Set best time near empty. Actually hit fuel starvation on last hard lap.

Car is too heavy. You will have points to spare in C. If serious with the Mustang - take points for weight reduction. Very hard on brakes. Ducts are a must. Have extra front hub bearings. First set of pads melted (EBC Blues...EBC and I will be talking about that). Went to Hawk DTC60s - fine but still cooked fluid near end of session.

Running street tires.

kbrew8991

I rarely see positive review of EBC products. I'd look at Carbotech or Hawk

speedengineer

Video:

3660 with little over 1/4 tank. Set best time near empty. Actually hit fuel starvation on last hard lap.

Car is too heavy. You will have points to spare in C. If serious with the Mustang - take points for weight reduction. Very hard on brakes. Ducts are a must. Have extra front hub bearings. First set of pads melted (EBC Blues...EBC and I will be talking about that). Went to Hawk DTC60s - fine but still cooked fluid near end of session.

Running street tires.

Car looked and sounded good out there this weekend!

As ken also mentioned, EBC=bad in my experience. I used to run carbotech, then switched to hawk and liked them better. My new favorite is cobalt though, similar in feel to the DTC-60, but are seeming to last longer.

Smike

Car looked and sounded good out there this weekend!

As ken also mentioned, EBC=bad in my experience. I used to run carbotech, then switched to hawk and liked them better. My new favorite is cobalt though, similar in feel to the DTC-60, but are seeming to last longer.

Yeah, I agree with you guys. EBCs on my 2800 lb SVTF = great. 3600 car = no so much. SVTF has a set of HT10s on it now actually. That swap was done before this issue. Oh well. Agree on Carbotechs too. We ran them on the Lemons cars for 24hrs without any sign of wear. Really awesome.

Thanks Jason! That was my old home track. Once I got used to the large footprint of the car and how it feels (cough, heavy) I was able to take it a bit harder. Once ducted with all 4 corners under good pads I think I could have late braked a few other areas and picked up some more time. Not enough to catch you. But maybe a second or two more. I think some of the points spend in weight reduction would do this platform wonders.

It was a ton of fun to fight it out with Terry. Especially since he was nice enough to give me a set of his DTC60s.

sfteague

+1 vote for the carbotechs. I bet XP10's or XP12's would be great for your 3600lb weight.