Rules clarification please - Timing

mitchntx

Does a TT participant log lap times all through his/her HPDE sessions AND the specified TT sessions? And then submit his/her fastes for the day?

Or

Are the only lap times that are valid are those run during the specified TT session?

The Timing and Scoring rules can be interpretted either way, as far as I can tell.

Thanks ...

In most regions (including OH/IN) any HPDE/TT session is timed and scored for the event. OH/IN normally has combined HPDE 4 and sometimes HPDE 3/4 with TT, and every session is timed.

That is the way I interpreted the rules.

But the definition of "event" kind of made me scratch my head a little ...

Because there IS timing during an HPDE session, does that have the potential to negate the "Driver's Education" portion of the event?

In the past, the DE moniker was the saving grace for an insured driver being covered in the event of an accident. DE suggested an educational and non-timed event ...

Just looking at it from different angles. I know this has to have been discussed before ... I guess my search skills are not up to snuff ...

• National Staff

Same in SoCal. Sometimes we have combined HPDE4/TT run groups, and sometimes we have TT only run groups (even on the same day). Any run time designated for TT drivers will count, except that in SoCal we do not count the first run session of the weekend. Although we have not had any major problems with TT drivers in this first session, we are being proactive as a safety measure to let drivers concentrate on learning the track and dusting off the cobwebs since most drivers have been off for a month or longer.

That is the way I interpreted the rules.

But the definition of "event" kind of made me scratch my head a little ...

Because there IS timing during an HPDE session, does that have the potential to negate the "Driver's Education" portion of the event?

In the past, the DE moniker was the saving grace for an insured driver being covered in the event of an accident. DE suggested an educational and non-timed event ...

Just looking at it from different angles. I know this has to have been discussed before ... I guess my search skills are not up to snuff ...

NASA HPDE is not like most DE's .. this is a High Performance Driving event. if your in HPDE 4/ TT your skill level should be very good and only need to work on the high performance part, or just tweeking your driving stlye. you still are learing, but you are in an advance group.

If your ins company will cover you at a DE (mine will not!), and you would like to keep this coverage(worried about it beeting timed) you can run HPDE 3..

Thanks, Brian ...

When I address the DE students about entering Time Trials, I anticipate this being a question ...

• National Staff

Also, a lot of major insurance companies have dropped coverage during any track event, regardless of whether it's "driver ed" or not. This has occurred over the past 1-2 years, and I think that a lot of people think they are covered, but aren't. However, if something were to happen on the way to a track or on the way home, that would be covered

• 2 months later...
Also, a lot of major insurance companies have dropped coverage during any track event, regardless of whether it's "driver ed" or not. This has occurred over the past 1-2 years, and I think that a lot of people think they are covered, but aren't. However, if something were to happen on the way to a track or on the way home, that would be covered

Actually, Progressive states that even if you ran 1 driving event during the course of the year, they wouldn't even write a policy for you for the 364 days on the track. Crazy, but true.