bedlam

SCCA C Prepared Car in NASA

bedlam

I was looking at the NASA rules for car classing. I did not read them in depth but....I did not see any class where, I could run my SCCA C Prepared car. Does NASA have a class for these cars? It would be nice to be able to run with you guys. I've been reading over your forum and I like what, I've seen. I may have simply over looked in the rules.

Thanks/Greg

getfast

Hi Greg, instead of what you're used to (i.e. "you can do just these things and nothing more to stay in this class"), NASA-X uses a points system no matter what you've done to the car. That is, a CP car would take points for all modifications above and beyond the equivalent bone stock base model, and be upclassed accordingly from its base class, just like every other car in NASA-X.

The 2011 version of NASA-X classing, i.e. the link above, will be released soon. Also please let us know if you don't see a base class listed for your car.

Hope it helps,

Jon

bedlam

What I did was, class the car as a pre 98 Z28 camaro which, placed it in the NXE class. The car started out as a 87 IROC. Then I started adding points. I added the points up (105) so, that bumped the car up 5 classes to whatever that is if, I started with the right class.

If I read correctly, membership is about $45 a year plus, I am looking to get my competition license and living in KY has some limits to it. It seem that NASA offers more and closer events during the year so, a better chance for me. The HPDE program looked interesting also as, did the time trials.

I don't know if, my car being a 87 IROC-Z is classed as NXE. I did not know how, the R, S and U classes were determined.

Thanks/Greg

getfast

That car would start in E** which means you already have 14 points. That plus 105 points = 119 = top of "S" for NASA-X, where you would mostly play with various Corvettes and modded Evo/STi type turbo awd cars. S, U, and R in NASA-X are just points extensions of regular A through G classes (it's not this way in TT and PT roadracing though despite a very similar points system, in those it's essentially all power-to-weight.)

Kentucky is within striking distance of several NASA regions. HPDE, TT, and getting your comp license are all do-able.

bedlam

Jon, I sent you a PM

Greg