Classing my Turbo Miata in TTB, but it looks like TTS

hustler

psst - the tire size thing was to remind you that with the reclass the tire width used to calculate your tire points changes too

TTB is based off 265s (I think, double check me), so if you're on 225s you get a pretty big chunk of points back

- KB, who should try doing this TT/PT Consulting stuff for money...

My -40 results in 10 points back at me, which I need to stay in my class. I'm happy to buy you a beer for your altruism. lol

Yes, and with a TTA* re-class, you get 19 points back for tire size on 225's.......again, making the higher hp, lower weight TTA* re-class option the hot setup. And, I don't know if you will see one in Texas or the Southeast, but I'm pretty sure you will see one at the Championships. Vette vs Miata

Personally, I think this is very cool. The hammer vs the scalpel with what....about 600lb difference in weight?

I said this last year and got ridiculed by by a couple of jerkweeds on this very board but now it's happening. I personally think that if the Miata can keep up with the Vette in the straights that it will be the better car because it would seem to have the advantage everywhere else. You can't draft a Miata. Forget about out-braking it with an extra 600lb or so. Handling.... maybe that could be a draw. I don't know for sure about the handling factor but the extra weight isn't going to help the Vette. (No disrespect to the Vette guys...this is just my opinion)

So, Question for the bored:

How do you set up a PTA/TTA Me-otter?

Start with the Mazdaspeed turbo? PTA national champ. That's pretty good.

LS-1 swap +cam? 200whp and 250ft-lb?

Grand-Am type normally aspirated engine? Grand-am Conti miata went 1:43 at Barber and a 2:12 at VIR but you can do a LOT more to the engine under NASA rules than Grand-Am rules.

Supercharger? Seems to work well in "D" and "E" but will that success extend to higher HP applications?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hustler

• kbrew8991

• awdracer

• drivinhardz06

You can't draft a Miata

Uhh, yeah you can. A.) Have you watched a Spec Miata race before???! B.) I've done it plenty myself too

Of course an SM can draft an SM. Of course a little tiny MR2 is going to get something off a Miata. Do you think that a Miata is going to poke a hole in the air big enough for a Corvette?

I have passed up to 22 SM cars in a single race before and I've never felt a draft from one (PT and SM run in the same group in M-A)

It seems like most people get really excited when the SBC Miata is brought up. However I must say that I rarely see them go fast. I've been on track with plenty of them and I don't have any desire whatsoever to do that swap, which I could have done for the same price if not cheaper than building my car. I know there are a few fast ones hiding out, but at this point they're unicorns to most of us Miata guys.

Hmmm... Not sure I agree with that.

Edited by Guest

• National Staff
Is there a way to unsubscribe from a topic?

See that little link at the top of the page under the "New Topic" and "Post Reply" buttons that says "unsubscribe topic".......

Is there a way to unsubscribe from a topic?

You can not click on the link over and over. That would work. If you need a button, Greg can probably work something out for you.

How do you set up a PTA/TTA Me-otter? LS-1 swap +cam? 200whp and 250ft-lb?

if you are only getting 250 ft/lb from an LS1 swap, you must be running a 25mm TB

this one does right @ 400 ft/lb to the tires

inthecorner.jpg

ls6mockfit5-1.jpg

Z06miata.jpg

L

Z06 Is that yours? LS1? That is bad-ass.

Can you get it down to 200/250 or is that unreasonable?

LS1 starts at 325 so 200 is not going happen. There are Aluminum 5.3 that might be tuned down.

psst - the tire size thing was to remind you that with the reclass the tire width used to calculate your tire points changes too

TTB is based off 265s (I think, double check me), so if you're on 225s you get a pretty big chunk of points back ;)

- KB, who should try doing this TT/PT Consulting stuff for money...

My -40 results in 10 points back at me, which I need to stay in my class. I'm happy to buy you a beer for your altruism. lol

Yes, and with a TTA* re-class, you get 19 points back for tire size on 225's.......again, making the higher hp, lower weight TTA* re-class option the hot setup. And, I don't know if you will see one in Texas or the Southeast, but I'm pretty sure you will see one at the Championships. Vette vs Miata :mrgreen:

While it is physically possible to run 225's on a V8 Miata I would have to see this thing come off a corner before I believe it could keep up. My car, with less than 160hp and lots less torque than an SBC, on 225's, has no problem getting wheelspin off of tight corners. On a track like Mid-Ohio with the Keyhole leading to the back straight or Miller with Wind-Up before the front straight there's just no way to get on the gas early enough. Wider tires are going to be necessary to make it competitive.

Patrick

I'm not so sure about that either. I have a track oriented V8 Miata, stock LS1/T56/8.8 Truetrac (like a Torsen) with 3.5:1 gears, running NT01 225/45/15 tires. At Texas World Speedway, going CW, exiting the carousel, I was able to carry quite a bit of throttle out of the corner. I could not go WOT but then I suspect most other V8 cars, like a Vette, cannot go WOT either. It is a slow corner. Not Hallett-Bus-Stop slow, but slow. If I had 275 Hoosiers I'll bet I could really drive out of there with a lot of throttle.

A V8 Miata is not an unruly beast like many suspect it is. I have let a couple of others drive the car on track and they were all surprised at how well behaved it is. It is not a point-and-shoot car. 275 Hoosiers would definitely make it faster but it is capable of sub 2:00 lap times at TWS on NT01s no problem.

Z06 Is that yours? LS1? That is bad-ass.

Can you get it down to 200/250 or is that unreasonable?

a friend of mine (but my old motor ) did the project here in my shop. it's an LS6 with a 224/224 .581 lift cam on a 114 LSA. It only made 5 less RWHP in the miata config than when it was in a C5Z06. (post trans driveshaft, 8.8 IRS, miata exhaust/intake-less optimal flow path than a C5)

not really built as a track car, although he's putting brakes on it now and will hopefully be running it this year. it will get to kill you speeds in a hurry

A local guy did one of the first LS6-Miata swaps about 5 years ago.... he fabricated it all himself. When I last saw the car his had a 383 cu.in. stroked LS6 in the car making about 440 rwhp. He said the killer was the custom headers he had to make to fit... they just couldn't flow enough.

GM makes a 4.8 liter LSX too... Katech makes a special high RPM motor using a LS7 block and the crank from a 4.8 (big bore, short stroke).

A local guy did one of the first LS6-Miata swaps about 5 years ago.... he fabricated it all himself. When I last saw the car his had a 383 cu.in. stroked LS6 in the car making about 440 rwhp. He said the killer was the custom headers he had to make to fit... they just couldn't flow enough.

GM makes a 4.8 liter LSX too... Katech makes a special high RPM motor using a LS7 block and the crank from a 4.8 (big bore, short stroke).

Is the 4.8 aluminum?

Is the 4.8 aluminum?

It's a truck motor so I'd assume it's an iron block. You could just use the crank in a normal LSX block and make a high rpm screamer. Dimensionally it's the same block as all the rest of the LSXs... my understanding is that it's a 5.3 w/ a shorter stroke.