JUST POSTED: 2011 SM Rules

sn8byte

http://http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/spec_miata_rules.pdf

None of these changes would prohibit a SCCA configured vehicle from competing with NASA. NASA wanted to get the 99 cars closer to the actual weight of the 90-98 cars to make it perform the same under braking and corner exit. Here are the major changes:

12.1: Restrictor plate and minimum weights (NASA e performed dyno tests to derive these numbers)

* 90-93: 2285lbs (no change)

* 94-97: 45mm (no change) @ 2340lbs (-35lbs)

* 99-00: 37mm (-4mm) @ 2390lbs (-60lbs)

* 01-05: 41mm (-2mm) @ 2390lbs (-60lbs)

13.2: NASA allowing both the 4.1 and the 99+ upgrade 4.3 but the 4.3 is mandated for the Nationals. It has not been determined yet if the 4.3 will be mandated for 2012.

14.1: NASA has mandated the 27mm front bar on the 94-97 for Nationals

15: Steering rack - NASA is allowing shimming between the rack & subframe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

a couple of questions...

1) Is there a specific distributor that we need to purchase the new restrictor plates from?

2) Will there be any changes to the racing format in 2011? (I heard that we might go from 2 races on Saturday and 1 race on Sunday TO a 1 race on Saturday and 1 race on Sunday) - When will the MSRH race schedule be posted?

Thanks,

Trevor SM90

Trevor,

I think most of you #2 questions are specific to the Texas Region. Hopefully Myron will lobby for 3 or 4 races per weekend like the AI/CMC folks get.

2) Will there be any changes to the racing format in 2011? (I heard that we might go from 2 races on Saturday and 1 race on Sunday TO a 1 race on Saturday and 1 race on Sunday) - When will the MSRH race schedule be posted?

Not sure who told you one each day, but probably not likely unless that is what is lobbied for.

It will change from weekend to weekend, but you could have anywhere from 2 races per weekend to 5 and ranging in length from a 15 minute qualifying sprint to a 40 minute stretch.

Weekend schedule usually goes out a week before the event. Plan on 2 each day for MSRH.

• 3 weeks later...

Any word on when the new smaller 99 plates will be available. Mid-A first race is approaching and we're running out of time to schedule dyno time and do the chassis setup.

Duncan

• 5 months later...

I may be behind the 8 ball here but can anyone tell me if SM is allowed to run an alternative tire now that we have this Toyo shortage? I know AI and HC are running exclusively on Hoosiers because of said shortage. Thanks.

NASA still requires Toyos for SM. That particular size hasn't been hit like the other classes tire size(s) which lead to them being opened up.