What class should I start in???????????????????????//

inplansight

I have been looking over the classing for TT and can not seem to find my car maybe someone can help.

The car is a 1986 dodge omni GLH turbo

thanks paul

Since I have had one or more of most Shelby Dodge cars over the last 15 years, I asked some questions regarding them last year.

If you look in the classification list, you will notice that the Shelby Charger is classed in F. So is the Shelby Lancer. Although the Lancer came equipped with an intercooler and better intake, resulting in about 25 more horsepower, it weighs quite a bit more. Even though the Omni GLH is a bit lighter than the Charger, I think it should still be classed in F since it is essentially the same car with a less aerodynamic profile. Now, if you have the GLHS (whether the 86 Omni GLHS or the 87 Charger GLHS), I would give it a plus 5 points for its base classification. The plus 5 is in recognition of the intercooler, the intake, and an extra 2 points for the adjustable shocks as compared to the "performance" shocks that were on the regular Omni GLH or Charger GLH. I would also put the Shelby Shadow CSX in the same category as the Shelby Charger and Lancer. The weight is right in between these other two, and the Shadow aerodynamics were also fairly poor. Same with the CSX-VNT (although given the few examples, I doubt that we will see any at the track).

BTW, I currently have a GLH and a Shelby Charger. Might consider taking one of them to the track some day.

• National Staff

BTW, I currently have a GLH and a Shelby Charger. Might consider taking one of them to the track some day.

How about just getting yourself out to the track Dave ? I thought we might see you at Fontana, but I guess not.

Cars that have not been classified need to be evaluated by the TT Director in the region that they will be competing in. A provisional base classification will be made at that time. When it's time to do the next year's rules revisions, the car will be looked at again, and a final base classification will be made that will be put in the rules. If you are in the SoCal region, then Dave has just given you the answer (Dave has great knowledge regarding these cars, and his evaluation sounds spot on).

Greg... as you may recall, I was thinking of running Spec Neon, but I have yet to find anyone else here in SoCal that will be running (hey, wait a minute... that means I might have a chance at the regional championship). In any event, I have at least 3 cars that are potential candidates (other than the GLH or Charger); two Neons and a surprise that could be fun (if not a big bust). Still working on all three. Got most of the parts; just have to snap them together. I will probably come out to Fontana to see what the competition is running.

BTW, that GLH could be a real sleeper... depending on the add-ons. Good friend has one that he uses on the street (complete with A/C, etc.) that has a best run time of 7.51 in the 1/8 mile at Irwindale Drag Strip. I haven't seen an SRT-4 come close to that time, although most of the drivers seem to have difficulty getting off the line. The GLH (and GLHS) are definitely fun cars, but the technology (suspension, etc.) is outdated (they were designed in the mid 70's).

Should be interesting to watch.

Thanks I was thinking of class F when I saw the charger in there.

And yes the car was designed in the late 70's so I have done a number of updates including coil over's, koins, camber palates, quiaf diff and BIG brakes I am holding off on the motor this year.

paul

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Should be interesting to watch.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>