• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dans2k

• kbrew8991

• wlfpkrcn1

• TurboShortBus

• National Staff

It is still 1 inch lower than OEM, has a different shape, etc. Even if the back part was "shaved", it would not end up being the same shape and size as OEM. The end result is that we are likely going to approve non-OEM tops on convertibles for +5 points, as long as the top does not go rearward of the forward/leading edge of the OEM trunk lid. Additional features such as vortex generators would still take points, etc. So, the "fastback" style tops would not be legal still, and non-convertibles would not be permitted to mod their tops.

Risen.....

• National Staff
Risen.....

And just in time for Easter! *bada-bing*

Mark

I doubt that this thread will be our savior. Scratch that. I know that this thread will not be our savior.

• National Staff
But I just spent $3000 on a new top. Now you want to make those cheap knockoffs legal? WTF

With all of the talk of the LS1 Miatas in the ST Forum, I wonder if one will come out with a fastback style top (or in TTS/TTU).

It is still 1 inch lower than OEM, has a different shape, etc. Even if the back part was "shaved", it would not end up being the same shape and size as OEM. The end result is that we are likely going to approve non-OEM tops on convertibles for +5 points, as long as the top does not go rearward of the forward/leading edge of the OEM trunk lid. Additional features such as vortex generators would still take points, etc. So, the "fastback" style tops would not be legal still, and non-convertibles would not be permitted to mod their tops.

Risen.....

What if it passes the leading edge of the trunk lid, but only by an inch. That inch isn't going to make a difference. So it's still 5 points right?

• National Staff

Risen.....

What if it passes the leading edge of the trunk lid, but only by an inch. That inch isn't going to make a difference. So it's still 5 points right?

No, it would be illegal under the proposed rule change. Why would anyone manufacture a non-OEM top that crosses over the trunk lid, preventing it from being opened, unless it goes to the limit of being a "fastback" style? From the photos I've seen, it appears that the Mugen, Mugen knock-offs, and Miata non-OEMs all allow for opening the rear trunk lid by not crossing over the edge. Are we missing something?

This is like a bear shits in the woods question...

If the national director makes the top legal for 5 points and there is nobody left reading the thread. Does it still count?

But I just spent $3000 on a new top. Now you want to make those cheap knockoffs legal? WTF

$600 per point saved. Glad we have a resolution! Now those of us who already bought the knockoff top CAN compete until we can afford the OEM.

Thanks Greg.

$600 per point saved. Glad we have a resolution! Now those of us who already bought the knockoff top CAN compete until we can afford the OEM.

Thanks Greg.

does this mean you're runing TT then rob?

Thanks Greg.

Not yet Dan, still in DE3. Well, just started DE3 but it should not be long. I don't plan on running TT too long as I would rather run wheel to wheel in PT or HC.

Not yet Dan, still in DE3. Well, just started DE3 but it should not be long. I don't plan on running TT too long as I would rather run wheel to wheel in PT or HC.

Awesome!

now its cheaper to get a cage than fully prep the car for TT with an OEM top I'm thinking about running H2!

We could have a good little group of honda challenge s2000's down here in the south-east

Awesome!

Well.......I've been in DE for 2 years so obviously not in a hurry. In time, that's were I want to be. It would just be easier if I didn't have to work so hard to make the money to do the few events a year I attend.