Toyo RA1 275/35/18 Availability

limp1969

This is stupid. The spec tire seems to be back ordered til March and is $80 more a tire than 888's.

I know the ra1 is a faster tire But you have to be able to buy the spec tire. Does any one have a lead on 275/35/18.

Why does NASA have this as a spec tire when you can't buy it. And to boot they removed the 888 from the 2011 rules.

<>

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• limp1969

• svttim

• JWL

Should be a protest this is weak! 888's are not as fast but if you can't buy the spec tire for 90 days at least you could run something. RA1 also are $80-100 more per tire which is crap too.

Auto Trend has 8 made in 2007? LOL still wants $358 per. for a 4 year old tire!

I am really hoping this will be fixed or perhaps others carrying. 4 yr old tires and not even available isn't a good thing for those of us racing in the feb and march timeframe.

Its not gonna be fixed by toyo they are not doing another run til late March so i guess nasa needs to do something or have people like me and you not race.

Nasa are you alive do something!

Guys-

This morning's post was the first we have heard of this problem. Will put some feelers out and see what the story is but it might take a couple of days to find out the answer so try to stay calm while we figure this out.

Stay tuned...

-JWL

John Lindsey

Chief Divisional Director

NASA

Hey Limp Guy,

You're coming in at a 12 and we need you more around 7 or 8. Thanks for bringing the problem to our attention. I've heard of a few other people having difficulty finding 18" tires and after a few phone calls were able to locate some in other regions of the country. Per JWL's note, NASA is looking into it, so it's got the right attention level.

In the future, lets try to be a bit more reasonable and constructive though. I went back and moderated your posts.

Todd Covini

Guys don't mean to come off strong. Sorry

Just a bit frustrated I have spent hours searching.

My car is ready to rock after a long and costly rebuild.

The only thing I'm missing is the spec tire.

If anyone has 4 I'm interested

No disrespected

Thank you

As always, management is looking out for the s197!

Im new here (yes, S197) and as such, have kept my mouth shut. But, Ive been around for a long time and have raced Fords the entire time. That includes the times when all my race parts came from a junkyard while the GM boys picked up a catalog. I could have switched but, I worked within the rules and tried to change some as I went. Didnt complain a lot, I choose which car to race. Im not trying to be confrontational, just dont quite understand.

Ironically, some of the people complaining about favoritism have the signature with Champion in them ????? Very confusing.

Every race series featuring different manufacturers will have arguments for parity, we have them in Grand-AM they exist in WC and NASA is no different sanctioning bodies will forever be accused of favoring one manufacturer over another or some cars will be viewed to have an advantage over another- and there will be good logical arguments to support people/cars on both sides- one could argue that in ST-2 or ST-1 the way the rules are written if you don't drive a Corvette with 335 rear and 315 front A compound Hoosiers and some good aero on your car you have no chance to beat Danny, Ken or James? so what would be the sense in bringing your SN95, S197 or F-Body there? (even though I did it with my SN95 and had a blast running sticky tires) And in AI I am sure I will come up some highly logical argument as to why TJ of the famous No-Tech Racing Team is Kicking my Arse even though I have an S197 ...but either way- It is going to be a fun season!

Guys-

Quick update. Phil's Tire Service has 8 in stock and I have feelers out to try and find more.

Oh, and these are the special ones that fit GM and Mopar cars too...

-JWL

Guys-

Quick update. Phil's Tire Service has 8 in stock and I have feelers out to try and find more.

-JWL

Guys-

-JWL

I called Phil's right away but never heard back. Found a set of 07 date codes and grabbed them. Sucks to have to buy 3 year old tires. No one seems to have anything and certainly not newer (Cassidy, Sierra, ToyosOnly, TiresDirect, about half dozen others). I am sure Phil's will now post that they have 2010's and I will bang my head on my damn 14" rotors but it is what it is. Should not be this hard to find tires to start a season...am I wrong?

I think thats a fair question. I have to assume Toyo writes a big check to NASA but, if the tires are not available, how does that help. (Thats a question, not a smart a$$ remark)

Date codes don't matter with Toyos. 2007 was a good vintage.

If you really get stuck, I've got a set I'd sell.

Don't you still have a few sets from 05 or 06? They're probably the ones you beat us on at Putnam.

j

Guys-

-JWL

I called Phil's right away but never heard back. Found a set of 07 date codes and grabbed them. Sucks to have to buy 3 year old tires. No one seems to have anything and certainly not newer (Cassidy, Sierra, ToyosOnly, TiresDirect, about half dozen others). I am sure Phil's will now post that they have 2010's and I will bang my head on my damn 14" rotors but it is what it is. Should not be this hard to find tires to start a season...am I wrong?

Yes I tried to buy the ones you got off Cassidy missed them by 10 mins? $339 each and $90 shipping from chicago $1446

Phil does have them $1627 to my door 07 build date and will only sell them shaved.

Seems like alot of $$ for 4 year old tires.

Toyo is really dropping the ball. I can get local if they were in stock for $330 no shipping

Thats $300 more to buy 4 year old tires. or a weekend of track fees gee!

And no they are 07's and a few 08's Phil has.

Date codes don't matter with Toyos. 2007 was a good vintage.

If you really get stuck, I've got a set I'd sell.

Don't you still have a few sets from 05 or 06? They're probably the ones you beat us on at Putnam.

j

Nah, the ones at Putnam were 08s with about 30 heat cycles. I corded the 05s at Putnam the year before.

I bought some 2003 scuffs at the end of last year. Those things are going to be sweet. I think Toyos are like wine, you have to age them before they're really good.

As always, management is looking out for the s197!

Im new here (yes, S197) and as such, have kept my mouth shut. But, Ive been around for a long time and have raced Fords the entire time. That includes the times when all my race parts came from a junkyard while the GM boys picked up a catalog. I could have switched but, I worked within the rules and tried to change some as I went. Didnt complain a lot, I choose which car to race. Im not trying to be confrontational, just dont quite understand.

Ironically, some of the people complaining about favoritism have the signature with Champion in them ????? Very confusing.

This is funny. I was looking at my 88 mustang coupe today thinking what is still ford. And it ain't much.

This is funny. I was looking at my 88 mustang coupe today thinking what is still ford. And it ain't much.

When people at work hear that I race, they ask what and I reply a Mustang, but in body only. Then I started adding up the "body" that is original... Floor pan, firewall and roof. Everything else has been replaced or altered in some way.

j

Phil does have them $1627 to my door

One thousand six hundred and twenty seven dollars.......still looks like a really big number even when you spell it out.