Toyo RA1 275/35/18 Availability

limp1969

Are these RA-1s built in 2010 the same as the ones built in 2005-2008 or are they some mix of 888 carcass/compound with an RA-1 tread pattern?

Toyo won't tell me.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• limp1969

• svttim

• JWL

Stan from Toyo called me back today and said they had a problem with making the RA1. And that we will not see the tire til mid April. Also that he called all of his motorsport dealers and no one has them in stock.

I think NASA should have a temp spec tire.

Stan from Toyo called me back today and said they had a problem with making the RA1. And that we will not see the tire til mid April. Also that he called all of his motorsport dealers and no one has them in stock.

I think NASA should have a temp spec tire.

Not good..

HQ is aware and continuing to work the issue with Toyo. Let's not get hurt jumping to conclusions. If we need to go to a Plan B, we'll do so after any and all RA1 alternatives have been exhausted.

Stand by...

-=- T

Goodyear 335x18 dots I paid 1500 OTD, glad I don't have to buy those RA1's.

lot better tire out there than a RA1 if you have to spend over $1600 bucks IMO. for a 275/35/18 to boot!

lot better tire out there than a RA1 if you have to spend over $1600 bucks IMO. for a 275/35/18 to boot!

That's fine if you don't own a Toyo. For those of us who have a bunch in the crawl space, changing tires right now makes me cringe.

its all a choice. i have an S197 that came with three sets of the standard 18" wheels for 275-18 tires.

these wheels were designed by ford for the 14" 4 piston brembo kit. going to 17's is an entirely different story.

we've been thru this, but I'll say it one more time. The Toyo is $30-50 cheaper at 275/40-17 than the competing sticker DOT tires. That makes perfect sense is a selling point at a spec tire provider.

The 18" 275 Toyo, however, $100 more expensive than the 17" and that price bump makes the Toyo now the MOST expensive DOT tire at that size. I can buy a BFG for $75 less than a Toyo. I can buy a World Challenge Pirelli PZero SLICK for the same price as the Toyo.

Its a $300 penalty per set of tires to run 18's in AI.

HQ is aware and continuing to work the issue with Toyo. Let's not get hurt jumping to conclusions. If we need to go to a Plan B, we'll do so after any and all RA1 alternatives have been exhausted.

Stand by...

-=- T

Todd....The points racing season in the SE begins in three weeks. By the middle of March two race weekends will be in the books. If I miss them both, my season in AI is over before it starts.

Rob...The Texas season starts in 20 minutes with cars on course for open track testing at Motorsport Ranch Houston.

Race 1 is tomorrow morning. The NASA HQ folks who have direct communications with the right Toyo contacts will be here to kick off the season. They're working it......

-=- Todd

Rob...The Texas season starts in 20 minutes with cars on course for open track testing at Motorsport Ranch Houston.

Race 1 is tomorrow morning. The NASA HQ folks who have direct communications with the right Toyo contacts will be here to kick off the season. They're working it......

-=- Todd

I am sure they are. How are you dealing with potential AI competitors this weekend in TX that have no spec tires?

its all a choice. i have an S197 that came with three sets of the standard 18" wheels for 275-18 tires.

these wheels were designed by ford for the 14" 4 piston brembo kit. going to 17's is an entirely different story.

we've been thru this, but I'll say it one more time. The Toyo is $30-50 cheaper at 275/40-17 than the competing sticker DOT tires. That makes perfect sense is a selling point at a spec tire provider.

The 18" 275 Toyo, however, $100 more expensive than the 17" and that price bump makes the Toyo now the MOST expensive DOT tire at that size. I can buy a BFG for $75 less than a Toyo. I can buy a World Challenge Pirelli PZero SLICK for the same price as the Toyo.

Its a $300 penalty per set of tires to run 18's in AI.

I am in the same boat. I'm running a drop spindle and to get the correct bump steer and clearance a 18" is the only wheel that will clear.

This keeps me on 18"s which IMO is very over priced.If I would have known this ahead of time I would have went another route.

I'm waiting for the out come as my car sits on jack stands with wheels and no tires.

There must be a contract that outlines the Toyo deal in regards to if they can't not produce? In this case they can not til April.

Standing by.

That's fine if you don't own a Toyo. For those of us who have a bunch in the crawl space, changing tires right now makes me cringe.

Your sitting on a gold mine right now!

I think Toyo just needs to bring the price down on the 18" and make them.

I don't get why a 18" is $100 more per tire?

i think tj's toyos are 17's and of no value to you.

I offered to sell a set back on the first page in this thread. I was talking about 18s but I think I've got a set of shaved 17s too.

limp1969: I've got stickers, scuffs, and thin to wins. Let me know if you want to buy a set.

Couldnt find them so just running hoosiers first few events and AIX.

Saved a few hundred and if I do well over weekend could win a whole set of hoosiers ($1400) vs $300 toyo bucks

you are all about the hoosier nowdays aren't ya? we will have bfg scrubs on for cmp. i have to say that a spec tire that is not available should be a deal breaker.

I dont know if you guys tried these two, hardly anybody runs 18"s out here. Its a slim to no chance im sure.

(they are calling me back in an hr)

Lynn and Lori Heaps

Topless Performance

(928) 636-1222

(877) 728-0914 Toll Free

NEW Email: [email protected]

BRP(Buttonwillow Raceway) 661 764 5333 (no anwser yet)

Edit: They are both out of stock. Sorry guys

Is there any issue getting Nitto NT-01's? They're apparently the same rubber compound, and we've seen similar performance out of them, not to mention a much more reasonable price. They seem to be an easy drop-in replacement for RA-1's. Several of us 944 guys have been dealing with RA-1 supply problems for the past few years, only to be told "there's no supply problem". Unfortunately, such statements do not magically put tires on the shelves of dealers, so a number of us have been moving towards NT-01's. Potentially having to split off and form our own class over it is still a much better deal than having no tires to race on, or even paying Toyo's prices in general (even considering the Toyo Bucks that 5 out of 20-30 cars would get).

I appreciate the efforts to exhaust every opportunity, but if the manufacturer said "no one has them in stock." and "we will not see the tire til mid April."

For the regions that started racing already, sounds like it's time for Plan B.

j