Toyo RA1 275/35/18 Availability

limp1969

plan b is for the individual. toyo pays nasa to be the spec tire provider. there is not another mfc interested in paying the same money or else there might have been a change at the end of the past contract.

if nasa suddenly dropped toyo for having tires for part of one spec class unavailable, every other driver in a toyo class would have a fit. so, that wont be done.

that means that the only real plan b for those effected to not participate in AI.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• limp1969

• svttim

• JWL

Is there any issue getting Nitto NT-01's? They're apparently the same rubber compound, and we've seen similar performance out of them, not to mention a much more reasonable price. They seem to be an easy drop-in replacement for RA-1's. Several of us 944 guys have been dealing with RA-1 supply problems for the past few years, only to be told "there's no supply problem". Unfortunately, such statements do not magically put tires on the shelves of dealers, so a number of us have been moving towards NT-01's. Potentially having to split off and form our own class over it is still a much better deal than having no tires to race on, or even paying Toyo's prices in general (even considering the Toyo Bucks that 5 out of 20-30 cars would get).

+1

Nitto NT01 would be a viable replacement, but its not a viable stop gap. if the tires are faster than RA1 there will be complaints. If the tires are slower, there will be complaints. the idea is that everyone is on the same tire. NT01 is the same compound but it is most definately not the same tire.

Folks-

The problem child is the 275/18 size. Working on Plan B and will have an answer early next week if not sooner. Sorry for the trouble and we will do what we can to fix it up.

-JWL

John Lindsey

Chief Divisional Director

NASA

Folks-

The problem child is the 275/18 size. Working on Plan B and will have an answer early next week if not sooner. Sorry for the trouble and we will do what we can to fix it up.

-JWL

John Lindsey

Chief Divisional Director

NASA

Thanks John I will stay tuned in waiting for the out come. I understand it's not as easy as just choosing another tire.

I wish I could just run 17's but can't not due to clearance issues.

I did however just buy a set of nt01 to at least start running the car. They were almost half price compared to the 275/18 RA1.

Not cheap by any means but $900 compared to $1600 is at least easy to swallow.

tread pattern is different. who knows if the sidewall and construction are different or not. the nt01 looks more like an r888 than an ra1

I have two brand new sets of 17" for this year . I Would be highly upset if the tire is changed . I'm sure many others would be as well so lets please stop the talk about a different spec tire.

Steve-

Don't get upset just yet as the 17 inch RA1's will be fine for you and won't turn into 8-tracks overnight. I wish I could snap my fingers and make it rain 275/35/18 RA-1's but I just don't have that sort of mojo. We are trying to find a good solution to help out the guys who have to run the 18's due to their investment in setup and the fact that they have a pile of 18 inch rims sitting in the garage but this certainly is a tough deal for all involved.

So, all I can ask for here is forgiveness and patience which I will repay at the Nats in terms of free hooch for the AI drivers at my RV in the paddock in the evenings. I may be able to convince Todd to bring the margarita machine so hopefully this will ease the pain a bit unless he puts box wine in the damn thing again.

Hang in there (and sorry for the drama).

-JWL

• Members

Just heard that my normal supplier can't even get any 17 RA1's now... This aint good. Has anybody else had any trouble getting 17's? I was able to get a set at our last event in Dec (thank goodness...) and I remember them telling me that they were having a hard time getting the 17's and that I got the last of the two sets they were able to get...

Ed

looks like there is going to be an uptick in AIX entries this season.

if you can't buy the spec tire, i assume you have no alternative other than not racing american iron. is that about right? there is no actual plan b is there?

From what I have read on line the NT01 is a great tire and is a good replacement. It seems as if it's getting to the point of hurting Nasa /AI.

IMO a spec tire that is un available is not NASA fault but Toyo's. If it comes down to it they should buy back / credit anyone who has a pile of unused RA1's. But changing a spec tire is not as easy as it sounds.

i am aware of them. they are steeda's tire.

dont put the phrase good tire next the phrase comparible to the r888.

Well, I like the 888 but compared to..............

If you know what I mean

just to point out that guys that have been running RA1's have learned what they are like and have a set up for them. As similar as the NT01 might be, they are different. pressures, camber settings, suspension settings are all unknown. start from scratch stuff.

just to point out that guys that have been running RA1's have learned what they are like and have a set up for them. As similar as the NT01 might be, they are different. pressures, camber settings, suspension settings are all unknown. start from scratch stuff.

yeap thats the suck part but what else do you do if RA1's are not available?

Not race

yeap thats the suck part but what else do you do if RA1's are not available?

Not race

not race. or more specifically not race AI. AI cars race on RA1's. Same tire. Some conditions.

If I cant get RA1's, I will race ST2 or AIX. Hopefully there will be RA1s so I can get a fresh set for the nationals.

At this point thats all I need. I can qualify for the nationals running ST2 and then run AI or both.

Understood and it sucks but, If you cant get the tire???