Suit Repair?

avu3

the zipper broke on my nearly new suit, and the manufacturer is based overseas and not a viable option for repair. Anyone know anyone who can/will repair a suit? it needs a new zipper sewn into it.

Thanks,

Scott

Since nobody else has answered, I'll give it a try. What brand? Did you buy it from an overseas dealer or a domestic dealer? If domestic, have you contacted them? The zippers in these suits use fire retardent tape and brass zippers, not really obtainable just anyplace. Your local tailor can probably replace it if you can find a zipper. Most manufacturers will replace the zipper and pay for all shipping costs but they have to make the repair. Suit manufacturers are not really eager to just send someone a zipper for self replacement because of the liability and, lets face it, there are some really stupid people out there.

I answer a lot of questions on forums like "what kind of helmet or suit should I buy?". Here is one great thing that people should take into account when making a buying decision. I'm not trying to ridicule you, just trying to use this example.

Howard Bennett

Racer Wholesale

Yep, what you said is all true. The suit is from overseas, and I got a killer deal because the company was doing a large purchase to establish their relationship. I would never have imagined needing to replace the zipper, so I never considered it...

Unfortunatley, due to supply problems (not quality) they ended their relationship, and no one else in the States seems to have established one.

Scott

I know a place in Berkeley, CA that manufactures and repairs all types of outdoor equipment, such as tents, backpacks, sleeping bags. When I burned a hole in shell of a leg of my Hein Gericke wet weather motorcycle pants, they repaired it so well you could hardly see it. They have also repaired backpacks and other items with blown zippers for me. I'm not sure they have experience in fireproof materials, but it could be worth your while to call them and discuss your situation if you haven't alreay found a solution.

They are called Narain's and are located in Berkeley on University Ave,

(510) 527-2509.

Winecountrymotorsports is full service. They are at Infineon Raceway. They fixed my suit when the zipper blew out rather badly at a test and tune session...

• 3 weeks later...

I owe Howard a huge thank you. He sent me the perfect zipper for my suit! Thanks! Thanks also for the suggestions on places to get it fixed. I did contact WCM at Sears and they indeed can and will fix it in case anyone else needs it.

Scott

• 5 months later...

Just to close the loop, I took my suit to WCM at Infineon, and they subbed it out to Sonoma Tailoring on Napa street in Sonoma. I was well taken care of. WCM got it done quickly and saved me the drive into Sonoma for a whole $20. The suit is perfectly repaired.

Thanks again to Howard and the folks here who suggested options. The zipper Howard sent was perfect.

I did check out the folks in Berkeley, and they could certianly of done it, it was just closer for me to head to WCM.

See you guys at the track,

Scott