advise for car set up hpde3

freddiehebert

i am going to run hpde3 at Infineon next month on the 12th & 13th.

I am driving my 2008 mustang v6 automatic car.

i have done the following upgrades to the car.

dual exhaust from the cat's back, rear sway bar, 17" gt wheels and tires, i have also unplug the ABS unit to get a better feel on the pedal.

also i have on order should be here next week is the eibach lowering springs with their struts.

who else out there might be running a mustang like mine?

what tire pressure should i be running.

anyone have any tips out there.

Also if there is one thing that i could add for say a couple of hundred bucks that is a qwik add to the car what would you ad.

thanks freddie

Well if you are registered in HPDE3, you must have some track experience so you should know what to expect. I wouldnt disable the ABS, I think its important in the learning stage. I still use it in my race car. I would focus on brakes. What kind of pads/fluid are you running?

Edited by Guest

I am not running any special pads and regular dot 3 fluid.

any advise what to run?

thxs freddie

Well if you are registered in HPDE3, you must have some track experience so you should know what to expect. I wouldnt disable the ABS, I think its important in the learning stage. I still use it my race car. I would focus on brakes. What kind of pads/fluid are you running?

Just curious, what kind and how much track experience do you have? By HPDE3, all of these questions are common knowledge. Maybe you have come from a different form of racing.

Ya, wouldn't expect these questions from a DE3 driver but....

I would say a set of dedicated track pads, Hawk DTC-60's maybe or Carbotech XP10's

..... high temp brake fluid

..... ss brake lines

Is HPDE 3 the same in all regions?

Under NASA it should be.

Whether it should be or not it is not. I know a person that signed up for their very first track event ever in HPDE3 in one of the California regions. I can't remember if it was Norcal or Socal for sure, but I believe it was Norcal.

I know a person that signed up for their very first track event ever in HPDE3 in one of the California regions. I can't remember if it was Norcal or Socal for sure, but I believe it was Norcal.

Here in the GL region, we have a pretty advanced group 3/4 who run together. Pretty early in the weekend, we move to open passing anywhere but the braking zone. Point-bys become optional, but most everyone uses them. I could not imaging someone running their first event under those conditions.

On a side note, where has the OP been?

Edited by Guest

Hopefully in HPDE1 getting his head straight. This is the kind of crap that terrifies me. Clearly unprepared, unpredictable novices out there where they shouldn't be.

I know a person that signed up for their very first track event ever in HPDE3 in one of the California regions. I can't remember if it was Norcal or Socal for sure, but I believe it was Norcal.

Here in the GL region, we have a pretty advanced group 3/4 who run together. Pretty early in the weekend, we move to open passing anywhere but the braking zone. Point-bys become optional, but most everyone uses them. I could not imaging someone running their first event under those conditions.

We are pretty much the same in the South East. Which was my point. I can't imagine a person completely new to the track out in one of our sessions. But it happens some places.

Yep. It's not that there aren't various levels of horsepower and driver talent, it’s just the speeds are much faster in DE3 and 4. You just have to know how to play well with others. At the very least, I recognize most of the cars out there when I'm on the track, as well as knowing them personally and I've only been on the track 1.5 seasons. Here's a clip from our last event at Putnam Park and from an earlier one at Mid-Ohio.

Everyone plays nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM_-oF6ZQbU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwkdOSUqVkY

Wow Stu, your car sounds just like mine. Do you drive it in the street like that?

Eric

Haha! Thanks for the tip (pun intended). No, not on the street. I just pull the axle-back when I get to the track, put on the dump pipe and swap it back before I go home. It is fun creeping around to the hotel Friday and Saturday night.

Between my Dad and me swapping tires/exhausts and repacking my track-tire/tool trailer, we are always the last to leave.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Is HPDE 3 the same in all regions?

Under NASA it should be.

Whether it should be or not it is not. I know a person that signed up for their very first track event ever in HPDE3 in one of the California regions. I can't remember if it was Norcal or Socal for sure, but I believe it was Norcal.

all HPDE2 and HPDE3 entrants in the MA region have experience checks done to assure we do our best to properly place the driver. While nothing is perfect, we do make a valid attempt to make sure no one is in the wrong group.