What Would AI2 Have Looked Like?

tacovini

Any DOT tire - Which means, everyone buy Hoosiers, which have the best grip, but only last a few sessions. $$$

Dave, Look into the BFG. Really. Its as fast as the R6 and its competitive lap times last as long as the shaved RA1.

@Bruce, Straight face here. Right now, with 18" wheels its significantly less expensive to race on BFG's than the Toyo. At 17' it might be marginally more expensive on the BFG.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• D Algozine

• nape

• Tommy55

but I do think there are alot of AIX cars "parked" (or running other series) because owners feel they don't have enough power to compete. (thankyou Chris and Paul F)

I really don't get this sentiment. Why do you have a problem with people that read the rules and built their cars to the limit of those rules?

There has never been "a lot" of AIX cars and I don't buy the excuse that the current power level is keeping them away. Paul Brown came to nationals in 2009 with ~500RWHP and ran faster than Chris did if I remember correctly. I THINK that Ernesto had the fast lap of the weekend when he was at Mid Ohio for the Nationals before he was running a turbo.

In my opinion the current power level has become a convenient excuse for people that either couldn't or wouldn't be able to complete if the power level was lower. If they REALLY wanted to race they would be out with us.

I can only speak for our region but AIX car counts haven't really changed since the power level went up. There were very few when it took 550RWHP to compete and there are very few now.

but I do think there are alot of AIX cars "parked" (or running other series) because owners feel they don't have enough power to compete. (thankyou Chris and Paul F)

I really don't get this sentiment. Why do you have a problem with people that read the rules and built their cars to the limit of those rules?

There has never been "a lot" of AIX cars and I don't buy the excuse that the current power level is keeping them away. Paul Brown came to nationals in 2009 with ~500RWHP and ran faster than Chris did if I remember correctly. I THINK that Ernesto had the fast lap of the weekend when he was at Mid Ohio for the Nationals before he was running a turbo.

In my opinion the current power level has become a convenient excuse for people that either couldn't or wouldn't be able to complete if the power level was lower. If they REALLY wanted to race they would be out with us.

I can only speak for our region but AIX car counts haven't really changed since the power level went up. There were very few when it took 550RWHP to compete and there are very few now.

+1

If the rule reads unlimited HP, there is absolutely no reason for anyone to complain about guys who built more HP. Seems crystal clear to me.

Based on an unlimited HP number, exactly at what level of power did guys go overboard? Apparently, no one has gone over the limit, there is no limit

Todd. If you could let us know what your intentions are asap that would be great. I need to know what to do as far as a 2011 race car. Thank you

I think if we can add a 18'' wheel, add a little hp, remove abs, keep the toyo and reel in the 18'' price, we might have a series this year.

Todd. If you could let us know what your intentions are asap that would be great. I need to know what to do as far as a 2011 race car. Thank you

Tommy , I'm pretty sure all this talk is for down the road. If I'm not mistaken the 2011 rules are already posted.

Are we trying to accommodate for the new factory cars or are we trying to accommodate for the pro drivers to come to our series.

Great question, Tommy. I don't think any of this has been said and as Mark keeps asking, what data or feedback are they basing this proposal on. Todd seems to be enamored with all things Grand AM. (Dash rule!, height measuring proposal- "just like GA", Repeated statements justifying rules changes or direction about "making it easier for WC, GA, GT"- pick the series- to make the transition to AI. I interpret this as he thinks (or possibly has been asked by pro teams) to make an AI car closer to what they race so if they wanted to race with us, it wouldn't require major changes to their cars. I don't know how many "Rehagen's" there are out there. I'm presuming Dean races in AI as a marketing tool for his customer services. The fact that it is fun and an opportunity to get on the track is a plus, but I doubt the primary factor. (Dean, feel free to correct me) As a business man, I would see it as a fun marketing tool.

j

I think if we can add a 18'' wheel, add a little hp, remove abs, keep the toyo and reel in the 18'' price, we might have a series this year.

in the interest of brotherhood , I would gladly give up ABS on my new S197

Tommy , I'm pretty sure all this talk is for down the road. If I'm not mistaken the 2011 rules are already posted.

let's announce changes in June or July and implement January 1, 2012 - 2-3 year implementation periods seem odd to me, I have run in many different series in the US and Canada and for most a change is discussed and made in the off season and implemented at the start of next season.

Let me restate that. I would like to build a car that will last for more than a couple years. As I remember this is still amatuer racing. Shouldn't have to change car every year. As I am prospecting a new build it might help to know where we are going as a series to know what to build or where to go. I just wa.t to race on equal grounds where it is still a drivers series for the most part

I just want to race on equal grounds where it is still a drivers series for the most part

Bingo - We have a winner.

This one gets my vote for best quote.

Rob, regarding tires. TOYO is the sponsor tire company for NASA, and is the spec tire for all spec tire classes. Regardless of what everyones opinion is about other brands, I really don't see this changing unless there is a major change in the relationship between TOYO and NASA. If tire option is open, it will get silly and very convoluted fast. Havng a spec tire is another way to promote stability within the series. Its one of the corner stones of AI, Equal tires and HP to weight.

Jim, I like your questions.

Rob, regarding tires. TOYO is the sponsor tire company for NASA, and is the spec tire for all spec tire classes. Regardless of what everyones opinion is about other brands, I really don't see this changing unless there is a major change in the relationship between TOYO and NASA. If tire option is open, it will get silly and very convoluted fast. Havng a spec tire is another way to promote stability within the series. Its one of the corner stones of AI, Equal tires and HP to weight..

Dave, I agree that Toyo is the only spec tire provider for NASA. My purpose for my comments was purely to debunk the idea that Toyos are cheaper and that going to another tire would triple my tire costs. For me Toyo is more expensive and by a significant margin.

Also, as I pointed out Toyo's treatment by Toyo of recent has not been very good. As of today Toyo Ra1's in my size are not available for purchase and likely will not be til sometime in May even that not being a guarantee. We will be racing AIX at CMP in two weeks because there are no RA1s available. Isnt that a basic that if there is a spec tire for a series that the tire must be in stock and available?

Isnt that a breach of the Toyo-NASA contract?

Now can we nix this ai2 idea, move cmc into cmc2 and call it AI challenge, move the AI pwr to 8.7:1, let AIX run free and be done with it

Sounds good except this won't meet the implied intent of the proposed change of having pro race teams join us at our events with no/limited mods to their cars.

Afterall, Scott Pruett just won the Rolex 24 hours. In the winner's circle, someone asked Scott what he wanted to do next and he said, "Go racing with NASA so I can win a $6 trophy!"

j

Should have had a spoiler alert... I haven't been able to start watching the DVR footage...

Should have had a spoiler alert... I haven't been able to start watching the DVR footage...

Sorry about that everybody. Being the first race of the year, I couldn't imagine not watching it live. I was trying to make a seperate point and didn't think it through to consider those not as fortunate as me.

j

Sorry about that everybody. Being the first race of the year, I couldn't imagine not watching it live. I was trying to make a seperate point and didn't think it through to consider those not as fortunate as me.

j

Some of us were at OUR first race of the year I wouldn't call that unfortunate

OK, we are getting ice/sleet/10+ inches of snow. If you can race this time of year, you deserve to be told the winners.

OK, we are getting ice/sleet/10+ inches of snow. If you can race this time of year, you deserve to be told the winners.

What about me??? I'm dealing with the exact same weather as you!

LOL

Ron

Sounds to me like ya'll boys need to move down here where men are men and sheep are scared.

Oh wait a minute that's Texas.

Robert

warm and cosy

Not to be the cold water but it's ok to talk about rules but don't dish teams or racers or are directors on a forum.

First you have no idea what they are thinking do you. And perhaps they race with us because they actually enjoy it even more than the other series they run.

This post was clearly not for everyone more just the folks who decide to bash those lead or support our series.

Alright off my soapbox. Please return to your regularly scheduling complaining about rule changes..

Ok, just read through 17 pages of posts on this topic - wow! While I like Robin's proposal a lot but I can also understand the logic put forth by Jim P. I am not sure we have the car counts high enough in all the regions to add another class. Maybe makes sense down the road but for now I think keeping everyone in AI would be a lot more fun rather than to cannibalize the class. I am envious of classes like SpecE30 (wouldn't race one) that have super high car counts. Seems like we can give allowances/apply restrictions to the breadth and diversity of our class (from the older carb models to the newest high tech models) that would make it fair to all racers. The SCCA touring classes do this. In AI, the best races are the ones where we have 5+ cars.

Seems like we can give allowances/apply restrictions to the breadth and diversity of our class (from the older carb models to the newest high tech models) that would make it fair to all racers. The SCCA touring classes do this.

Oh god, whatever you do, PLEASE don't suggest that NASA appoint a CRB to handle all the competition adjustments!

Seems like we can give allowances/apply restrictions to the breadth and diversity of our class (from the older carb models to the newest high tech models) that would make it fair to all racers. The SCCA touring classes do this.

Oh god, whatever you do, PLEASE don't suggest that NASA appoint a CRB to handle all the competition adjustments!

Sorry, Matt, your comment has been declared "inconsistent with class philosophy."

When are we going to hear more about this AI2 thing. Is it something that is going to happen or are you just testing the waters to see what rule changes to make in AI?. I would like to build a new car but not knowing what to do. I don't want to build something for this season then have to totally change it for next year. Todd, can you fill me in with at least a reply or a pm.Thanks. I am getting really antsy to go racing. I want to build a cost effective competitive car. Is there going to be an AI2 for 2012 season??? What can we expect??? I don't want to take a year off to find out. I know your plate is full, but i kinda need to know.

Thanks Todd