2011 WERC Season

Karen Salvaggio

Greetings Endurance Racers!

I am honored to serve as Series Leader for the Western Endurance Racing Championship (WERC) Series in 2011. The WERC has a long and significant history within our organization, and as we've grown over the years, adding 6-, 12-, and most recently 25-Hour competions to the race schedule, the WERC Series has developed into a truly signature series for the National Auto Sport Association (NASA).

Many of you have competed in the WERC Series since its inception, and you hold the collective memories from the early days in our Series. You have watched/facilitated the growth and changes over time, and I truly look forward to learning from your experience. The Series has grown considerably from those early days, and has now become the proving ground for semi-pro and even pro teams, as well as the stomping ground of fiercely-enthusiatic, grassroots endurance racers like yourselves, whom we've all had the honor of sharing pitspace alongside and holding in awe their commitment and passion to this sport.

To check your level of endurance racing sanity.....If you believe there's nothing like wandering up and down a foggy/rainy/muddy pit row at Thunderhill at 2:00 AM, going trailer to trailer, looking for a replacement part, or seriously considering cannibalizing a friend's (or better yet, a complete stranger's) street car in the name of procuring the parts needed to get your race car back on track....Well, you just might be an endurance racer..;.)

As a little personal history....I ran my first endurance race in 1993 in a vintage C-Production car. Now that I look back at it, it was a "simple" little 2-hour enduro, but to our team, it was the greatest challenge we ever faced. Finishing that race, well, you'd have thought we won Daytona or LeMans....I still remember the celebration in the pits (and we didn't win...We just finished!)....That race left an indelible mark in my memory....I was hooked on endurance racing! In the years since, I've grown to love endurance racing even more, and have been very fortunate to share the track with many of you in WERC competitions over the last four years, including the 25 Hours in 2007-2010.

The WERC Series attracts a wide range of racers and folks who have the uniquely competitive spirit of endurance racing running through their veins. To me, this Series is following in the historic footsteps of the greatest endurance racing series in the world, and for those of us with a passion for this sport, we see endurance racing as the ultimate test of teamwork, logistics, driving skills, and sheer grit and determination (and yes, Lady Luck has a hand too!).

I look forward to working with each of you this year, and in facilitating discussions which will focus on the unique aspects of endurance racing. Working together with everyone here, our seasoned veterans along with racers for whom this may be their first foray into the endurance racing ranks, we will continue to develop and present the finest in endurance racing competitions.

(Ok......Off to watch the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona!)

Karen

Karen Salvaggio

FFR #28 Type-65 Coupe

FFR #28 Challenge Series Roadster

2010 West Coast Champion

2010 Southern California Champion

2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship (WERC)

April 9, 2011 - Buttonwillow (3hr)

May 15, 2011- Thunderhill (1 + 2 hour)*

June 25, 2011 - Buttonwillow (3hr)

August 13-14, 2011 - Thunderhill (1 + 2 hour)*

October 8, 2011- Buttonwillow (3hr)

December 3, 2011 - Thunderhill (6 hr)

*This endurance race will during 5pm -6pm on Saturday night. The cars will be stopped on track and impounded. The race will continue from 8am-10am on Sunday morning. This allows teams to tow on Saturday and return on Sunday. If also allow a later start time for other drivers on Sunday.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for posting here......I look forward to working with you.

I have read the other thread(s), and believe I understand the concerns. It sounds like there may be other folks with similar concerns as well, and at some point in the very near future, I'd like to re-start that discussion. What's unfortunate, is that we cannot know how many (or how few) of the regular WERC competitors, or potential competitors even visit this forum, so getting the word out to enduro racers will be very helpful.

I'm working with Jerry to get an e-mail list for everyone so we can invite folks to the party here...I believe we'll be able to move forward quickly, however, it's going to take a small amount of time to form ourselves as a group, hold a discussion among interested individuals, and look for potential solutions to any or all aspects of the WERC...With the 2011 Schedule obviously the first issue to tackle.

Please understand that I am not a person that wants to engage in the old "anaysis paralysis" notion of deciding things by committee (I hear that's how the camel and elephant were both invented)...However, I believe as we move forward in forming ourselves as a group, it will be important for us to make an effort to include as many folks as possible when hearing concerns and advancing ideas to Jerry/NASA.

Like you, I only became aware of the 2011 WERC schedule once it was posted here on the forum, and I've not had discussions with Jerry about any potential changes that could be made for this season. I do, however, agree with the suggestion from one of the other threads, that it will be more productive to formulate a collective voice about these things.

You're the first person to acknowledge this thread (thank you), and it would be great if you would PM/E-mail a contact phone number and I'll be glad to give you a call so we can discuss further. Would love to talk with Mike, Richard, and others from the previous thread as well......There's certainly lots to discuss.

E-mail: [email protected]

(I'll build an e-mail group and/or we'll open a new thread and we'll get this going)

Thanks again, and it would be great to hear from other folks as well. April 9th is right around the corner!

Karen

Karen,

Thank you much for taking this job!!

This series needed nothing more than a qualified leader, and there in not anyone I know of that is more qualified then Karen Salvaggio. Congratulations on another Championship in 2010!

I now look forward to competing in the 2011 WERC, and to the possibilities of increased participation due to better organization and promotion of our series. (but hey, no pressure!!!)

I/we here at Lynam Racing are ready to help where we can.

Troy Lindstrom

Jager Super Truck 66

2010 WERC ES Champion

2010 25hr ES runner up

Hi Troy!!!! Thanks so much for the warm welcome and kind words! I'm really looking forward to working with everyone in creating the best endurance racing series yet!! We have lots to do, and I will truly appreciate your help along the way.

I'm in the process of forming a Yahoo Group for the WERC and will be sending out an e-mail invite, as well as posting a link to the group here on the forum in short order.

Congratulations on your championships last year as well!!! Awesome teamwork and outstanding performance!!!

Thanks again!

Karen

Thanks to everyone that has signed up for the group e-mail list, and to those spreading the word out there..The response has been very positive, and I truly appreciate the enthusiasm out there! I''ll be sending out a group e-mail invite as well (spam blockers are good, so having to send in small groups)...If you receive and have already signed up, please disregard.

We need to get the discussion going on the schedule, so will begin a thread this week.....Thanks again everyone, and please let your fellow endurance racers know to sign-up for the e-mail group!

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/NASAWERC/

Karen

I don't chime in these forums, but i feel pretty strongly about this series. i think what we, as racers, need to remember is (i have read all four pages of the former topic) is that we are racers. we make our own change by reading and pushing limits of the rules, (E2 E1 E0) are just some good examples) when you're group started it was not as it sits right now. but by working with what you had, the WREC has become very a sought after series by other racers.

When ever change comes up in any race group there are always people gawking at it. (another example) nascar's car of tomorrow. (I'm not a nascar fan) everyone was crying about how they hated this car. and when richard petty was asked he said i don't understand what this is all about, we race nascar, if nascar re-writes the rule that we have to have three wheels, than we go back to the garages and figure out which wheel we need the least, and we wil see you next weekend with three wheel, because that is what we do, we race. and to prove that we can SOLVE any NON-COMPETITIVE issues with the schedule, please reference fueling with out a dry break. think about how long it took to empty a 5 gallon jug. now how long does it take now (maybe a 1/3 of the time) we made that happen by working with what we have. E0 cars can now compete ES cars because of that by the way.

So with that said we are adding dates (more racing, good thing) to a series we are all craving because it pushes us. because it has become a proving ground for all level of driver (rich poor big and small) because this series has ingredient's that of an aphrodisiac. so rather than react to less race dates i suggest we get behind it. SOLVE what we can until the clock runs out and the first race starts, then prove what we see. i have never met a NASA official that doesn't make a decision with out good racing in mind, and more racing is good for racing. if there is something wrong with way we are getting to it than they will fix it. on paper this might be the best way to start given the organization's adversity. i love to argue, i really love it, I'm good at it. i love messing with people, i love annoying people, I'm great at that. i don't even like these 1-2 events, i scratch my head, but i don't see this as a good argument. i see this as something we need to work on, all of both dates.

i wouldn't want karen job and neither do you. you want to race your car. so help her fix this and it will get fixed.

• National Staff
i love to argue, i really love it, I'm good at it. i love messing with people, i love annoying people, I'm great at that.

Sounds a lot like Meze

Pete, are you sure that you aren't a distant relative of Shawn M. ?

WERC Series Update:

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone, and for all of the input and feedback on the WERC Series for this year. Lots of great ideas have been advanced, and it's easy to see from the comments, just how much passion we all have for endurance racing.

From the discussions here and over on the WERC Forum http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/NASAWERC/, these are some of the things I'm working on:

1. Thunderhill Enduros: The split races are a definite challenge for racers (logistics, overall cost, on-track/overnight security, etc.), and I've had some initial conversations with NASA regarding modifying the format. The proposal is to change from the current split race format (1-hour and 2-hour), to scoring these as two spearate races (1 on Saturday, and 1 on Sunday). Also looking to expand the Saturday race to a minimum of 90 minutes...I realize a 2 hour race (or more) would be preferred, but unless we can bring a boatload of folks to the grid, it doesn't sound like it will be happening.

Important Note: If the TH races are modified to scoring as two separate events, this would also result in an 8-race WERC Season. The suggestion would then be to allow two drops in determining the overall WERC season championship...Again, these are discussions, nothing etched yet.

2. Timing and Scoring: Working with NASA and interested, knowleadgeable parties to effect a live timing and scoring system which would be in place for all enduros throughout the year. Several folks have been very helpful in the early discussions around the logistics and challenges in this area, including Dave Balingit from the Rocky Mountain/Texas Regions). I will be working on this with the timing and scoring folks (Gene and Merle Anderson and others), as well as Ryan and others at the upcoming CA Speedway event to gain a better understanding of the existing systems and past experiences to develop a viable direction for the future.

3. Series Sponsorship: The WERC Series attracts a wide audience, and holds a great interest to a variety of businesses and individuals. Press coverage of our events provides some pretty spectacular photos and awesome stories of the grassroots racers who dare to take on 3-, 6-, and even 25 hour enduros. I believe series sponsorship is an area in which we are ready for further development, and while the economy certainly presents challenges, there are also a whole lot of opportunities for product development and stories from the on-track battles and the courageous efforts of awesome crewmembers in the pits.

4. Increase Participation: I've had lots of folks e-mail and send along some great ideas on how to get more folks involved in endurance racing. It seems we'd all like to increase the field, and have more folks to run with in these long races. A variety of incentive-based pricing structures have been proposed, and I will discuss the possiblities with NASA officials (Jerry/Ryan) in regards to their viability....Again, and as others have mentioned, in the end, our ability to garner increased track time will truly come down to the dollars and cents (sense) of it...Bottom line: The more folks we can bring to the grid, the better our chances of getting longer enduros, and the price going down.

5. Get The Word Out! Our first race is April 9, 2011 at Buttonwillow, so here's our first opportunity.....If we are to hold increased weight within the regular NASA schedule, we need to effect some serious entry numbers......This season promises to be a great one, so let's go!!

Buttonwillow 3-Hour WERC, So Cal event sign-up page: http://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1218

Thanks again everyone!

Karen

• 3 weeks later...

3/11/2011 WERC Update

Thanks to everyone that has provided suggestions here and through the NASA WERC group. We've been working on a number of things, and here are a few updates:

1. The WERC will be an 8-race series for 2011

2. The May and August Thunderhill events will be held as two separately scored races on those weekends (1-Saturday, 1-Sunday)

3. WERC season points will be determined as a "Best of 7"

4. One race drop will be allowed in the determination of overall season points championship

5. Only a race from the May or August Thunderhill events will be eligible as a drop

6. No other races are eligible as drops in the season points calculations

7. Teams that score points in all eight WERC races will have their lowest race score (no DQ's) dropped for points calculations

8. Live Timing & Scoring: We tested a live timing and scoring system at CA Speedway last weekend and had some good success. We still need to strengthen the signal to expand the service fully down pit lane, but the system worked and we know what we need to make it happen. Special thanks to fellow racer Roman Vaisman (owner, Ezlogy, Inc.), as well as NASA's very own Gene and Merle Anderson for their combined efforts and hard work in moving us closer to having a live timing and scoring system.

9. Enduro 101: Racers new to the endurance racing ranks will be provided an HPDE-style support system to assist them in their endurance racing preparations. Veteran endurance racers will host a pre-race driver/crew meeting, providing competitors with information on enduro pit set-up, key to avoiding pit-lane penalties, and overall endurance racing tips.

10. Valet Pit Service (VPS): Want to endurance race, but think you need a big crew? Racers will have the opportunity to sign up for our new Valet Pit Service for assistance with refueling, driver and tire changes. A limited number of slots will be piloted at the April Buttonwillow event. Special thanks to fellow WERC competitors Team RJ Racing for assistance with the pilot program, and hat's off to our friends in the NASA Rocky Mountain Region for developing this innovative program.

2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship (WERC)

April 9, 2011 - Buttonwillow (3hr)

May 14-15, 2011- Thunderhill (Saturday 1.5 Hr. & Sunday 2 Hr. )*

June 25, 2011 - Buttonwillow (3hr)

August 13-14, 2011 - Thunderhill (Saturday 1 Hr. & Sunday 2 Hr.)*

October 8, 2011- Buttonwillow (3hr)

December 3, 2011 - Thunderhill (6 hr)

*This is a Two-Endurance Race weekend, with two separately scored endurance races: One on Saturday; One on Sunday.

WERC Season Championship Points Calculation:

The WERC season championship is an eight-race format for 2011. The WERC season points championship will be determined as a best of 7 races in which the team competes during the year.

Competitor's note: One (1) race drop will be allowed from either the May 14-15 or August 13-14 Thunderhill events in determining the WERC season points championship. All other endurance races on the WERC schedule will count toward calculation of season points, and no other races may be dropped, including the 6 Hours at Thunderhill. Race teams that compete in all eight WERC events will have points from their lowest scoring WERC event finish (other than a DQ) dropped in determining their best of seven for overall season points calculations. (Club Code (CCR's) and Supplemental Endurance racing rules apply).

Best regards,

Karen

[email protected]

NASA WERC Series Leader

Good question....The entry fee will follow the same format as other NASA pricing, in that each separate event will have a slightly higher pricing than if an individual signs up for both.

Thanks so much Eric....

WERC racers will also want to check out the new "Supersize" enduro option being offered for the April 9th Buttonwillow enduro......Ryan and Jerry have been very open to new ideas, and extremely supportive of our efforts to keep the WERC as the premier endurance racing series.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1218

Karen