Brembo 2000R Brake rebuild kits?

Admiral

I can't find these anywhere (guess I'm google challenged). Can anyone give me a part number and supplier for a rebuild kit for the Brembo 2000R Cobra front calipers? Thanks in advance!

Maximum motorsports carries them. I don't see them on their site, but I remember a conversation that they do have them. I'd suggest calling them.

805-544-8748

Mark

Wow, do I feel dumb, I bought my brakes from MM. A fellow racer said he called MM and was directed to Brembo. He made 3 calls and left 3 voicemails about these kits over a 3 week period, no response yet so I didn't try myself.

I'll give MM a shout today and ask. Thanks for the help Mark!

MM doesn't have them, said to call "Brembo Tech" whatever that is. If someone's got a part number for a rebuild kit or can help me I'd be most grateful!

Mike,

Talked to my Brembo guy. The company line is that Brembo doesn't typically sell rebuild kits for "street" calipers. In the Brembo world there are two types of calipers-- "street" calipers which are intended for road use and "race" calipers which are race-only. The stuff that Brembo sells through their aftermarket/high-performance operation in the US is all based on street calipers. This includes the '00R caliper.

Their position is that for a street caliper the only thing that is serviceable is the outer dust boot. As long as the dust boot is kept in good condition (not torn/melted) the inner pressure seal and piston shouldn't ever need to be serviced. When a caliper gets to the point where the seal or piston is damaged (most likely due to contamination from a damaged dust boot), it is likely that the caliper body itself is also damaged and the complete caliper needs to be replaced.

A race caliper doesn't have dust boots, and it is expected that the caliper will be torn down and rebuilt every race. Parts for these calipers are available.

Now the guys here in the US don't necessarily agree with the above views, but that's how Italy sees it, so that's how it is.

However... the seal geometry is the same for all the calipers, so it would be possible to use a "race" pressure seal in your caliper. The seal itself will be different than what came in your caliper-- different material, and it will have different seal rollback characteristics. Pistons are not generally available, and even if they were to sell them to you, with their pricing you'd probably be better off buying a new caliper.

Anyway, the relevant part numbers are:

20.4872.44 36mm Dust Boot $7.95

20.4872.46 40mm Dust Boot $7.95

05.5955.56 36mm Pressure Seal $12.95

05.5955.58 40mm Pressure Seal $12.95

As you can see, not cheap at over $80/caliper just for seals.

Wow, thanks for chasing this one down. If I'm understanding the logic, if your outer dust boot on the street calipers gets damaged or cracked from age/use then you need to replace it otherwise the caliper may be contaminated?

If so, I'm wondering now if I've "thought" I had race calipers and didn't worry about the outer dust boot and have basically ruined my calipers or significantly shortened their lifespan. Guess I better get the dust boots back on there pronto to try and salvage the situation. Thanks again for the info!

Guess I better get the dust boots back on there pronto to try and salvage the situation.

Every time I ran with dust boots on with PBR's, they either got hard and brittle and cracked from heat, or started on fire, no kidding. One time after a race the corner workers followed me to my pits to see if they needed to put out the fire by my wheels. It turned out it was just the boots burning off. I even run two big ducts to the brakes.

I have even had the boots get brittle on the Stop-Techs and come off.

Maybe I'm just hard on brakes!

I was the one that called the Brembo Tech line and never got responses.

Hmm, I'm not sure how to respond to the info Jeff posted...

The Brembos that I have on my car the boots are dry and cracking or have half missing. I was looking to replace the seals and boots. Thanks for getting the info.

a search on the part number came up with this:

http://www.truechoice.com/store/bresults.asp?brk=1

I guess I never paid much attention to the piston sizes, are there two different sizes, inside and outside on the 00R's? 36mm and 40mm

David D.

I meant to note that those were list prices... with the prices on that link, you're down to $60/caliper.

The calipers use two different piston sizes on the leading and trailing ends of the pad to minimize/eliminate taper.

MM doesn't have them, said to call "Brembo Tech" whatever that is. If someone's got a part number for a rebuild kit or can help me I'd be most grateful!

Sorry for the misguidance. I was told they had them, but obviously that particular person was wrong.

Out of curiosity, why are you rebuilding them?

Mark,

Doesn't look like I'll get the chance. When replacing pads about a week ago I noticed the dust boots completely eaten away and a small metal band fell out of one of the calipers. I did a visual check trying to determine what it was for, bled the brakes and tested them prior to the race weekend but was hoping there was a rebuild kit available, I'd throw one in the trailer in the event I needed it. Guess I can't do that with these calipers. FWIW the brakes work fine still but that metal band had me worried, was it part of the dust boot or something more important? I'm not the best mechanic and certainly don't have much knowledge about these Brembos as is probably apparent, lol.

I thought a bunch of AI racers were running these calipers and it would be a simple item where I'd get the info and get the kits needed and go from there, doesn't seem it is quite that easy. Now I'm wondering how I determine if they need maintenance beyond a new dust boot and if so, how I go about doing said maintenance.