Rule changes for harnesses

HalM3

Does anyone know what 4 point harnesses are still allowed after April 11th? I currently run the Schroth 4 point quick release units for the BMW and they have mod for 5 point. With a full interior, not many options.

Does anyone know what 4 point harnesses are still allowed after April 11th? I currently run the Schroth 4 point quick release units for the BMW and they have mod for 5 point. With a full interior, not many options.

The rules state the answer - "belts with current tags labeled FIA B-xxx.T/98 and meeting FIA 8854/98 standards may be allowed with advance special approval"

I used to have a green car very much like yours, I miss it.

NASA Club Codes & Regulations (CCR)

Specifically sections 11.3, 11.4.8 and 15.5

well, can't be any clearer than that

NASA CCR section 11.3.2

The driver and any passenger must utilize modern style* stock seatbelts in very

good condition, or a DOT approved restraint system, while operating a vehicle on

the track. Restraint system requirements are listed in Section #11.4.8. *Lap

belts used without any shoulder restraints are not permitted. Note- no four point

belt systems allowed after April 1, 2011, regardless of DOT certification or

approval, except that belts with current tags labeled FIA B-xxx.T/98 and meeting

FIA 8854/98 standards may be allowed with advance special approval.

• 3 months later...

I have emailed one of my local NASA reps and am waiting for a reply. However, reading CCR v2011.6, section 11.3 regarding restraints appears to me to open the door for use of the Schroth QuickFit ASM 4 point harnesses in HPDE. This is what it says in the section:

Effective

May 1, 2011, the only four-point belt systems that are allowed for use in HPDE /

TT are 1) those that carry an “FIA B-xxx.T/98 certification, or 2) those that carry a

label from the belt manufacturer stating that the belts meet Federal Motor Vehicle

Safety Standard (FMVSS) 209 AND that the belts were designated for the

specific vehicle (e.g. “For use only in BMW E36 models”). Such label must be

easily visible to the NASA inspector. Note- four-point belt sets that have a DOT

certification alone are not allowed.

I use the Schroth harness in my 2003 Mini Cooper S, and it specifically says on the harness that it is designated for use in R50 based Cooper and Cooper S models only, and also has a plastic buckle with a stamp indicating it is tested to FMVSS 209 standards.

I will let you know when I hear back from NASA as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Why not just put a 6 point in. The sub-belt can be fasten to the rear seat mount bolts.

Because if he's like lots of other people, he would rather spend the money on a big brake kit and sub-woofers than safety items that (he feels) he will not likely need.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but it's all too common to worry about performance upgrades before safety and I'm having a bad day....

• 3 weeks later...
Why not just put a 6 point in. The sub-belt can be fasten to the rear seat mount bolts.

Because if he's like lots of other people, he would rather spend the money on a big brake kit and sub-woofers than safety items that (he feels) he will not likely need.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but it's all too common to worry about performance upgrades before safety and I'm having a bad day....

I always slid my seat back a few notches, fastened the seat belt and locked it, and pulled the seat forward and locked myself in pretty tight. I never had a problem of sliding around. If you don't do this, give it a shot.