Coolant flush

Scany

No way to avoid the mess when draining the block. But it's a lot easier with a) water and water wetter since you don't have worry about catching all the antifreeze and b) the A/C compressor and stuff out of the way so you can get to the drain plug.

Oh, don't forget about the washer for the drain plug. It really sucks having to redo the whole job because you forgot to put the washer on (don't ask how I know that).

you can do a slow drain on the block overnight by just loosening it enough to where its just barely coming out...then the next day you can fully open it and it own't be as messy as just completely removing it and having it splash on the headers/frame rail/etc.

That's a good idea Mike! I ended up creating another mess, but next time I'll use your suggestion. Best thing would be a banjo bolt with a capped off hose that you could direct right into a bucket.

Here's something peculiar I can't make sense of (probably because I haven't really sat down and thought about it). So after all the coolant had poured out and with both plugs out, I poured water into the exp tank, and it came out from the block!? Then I loosened the upper coolant hose and poured water in there to flush out the radiator, which made sense to me. On my 5 series I put a hose into the water pump opening, but I was hoping to not do that, or remove the thermostat. Should I flush again you think? After running the car warm I couldn't find trace of coolant in the exp tank, if that's any good indication that all coolant is out. But as far as I can tell, my system is flushed, but I'd do what I can to make sure I don't bring any coolant.

If you only flushed once, you didn't get it all, as the heater core is a low point in the system (If you still have your heater core). Make sure you set the heat controls to hot for a while while running the engine to flush it out.

Remember that the block drain plug is right next to the exhaust manifold. Anything you put there will COOK.

If you only flushed once, you didn't get it all, as the heater core is a low point in the system (If you still have your heater core). Make sure you set the heat controls to hot for a while while running the engine to flush it out.

Remember that the block drain plug is right next to the exhaust manifold. Anything you put there will COOK.

I'll do again to make sure. After seeing the results on Eric and Max's cars I want be very sure.

you can always take the t-stat out undo your radiator hoses and run some running water down the suction side hose with the engine running if you want. drain the tap water out and fill with distilled.