What Counts as a "Piggyback" Circuit on the ECM?

Kubs

I have a ROM board that my engine tune is on which Greg told me was no points, but what about a little module wired in to let the fuel injectors fire?

Heres the background, I am removing the CCM (central control module) from my '90 Corvette because the only thing it does is control the light, factory gauges, radio, door switches, etc. everything that I have removed. However, one important thing it does is send a signal to the ECM to allow the ECM to fire the injectors. Without this signal the car will not run. It is part of the anti theft system, the CCM looks for the computer chip in the key, then makes sure the clutch is pressed, then lets the ECM start the car. However, I have removed all of that.

This signal is just a simple 30Hz 5v squarewave. Would it count as a "Piggyback" and require points if I make a module to take the 12v battery input and convert it to a 5v output so the ECM thinks the CCM is still there? It has nothing to do with the tune, or engine power, its just a "fuel enable" signal.

• National Staff
I have a ROM board that my engine tune is on which Greg told me was no points, but what about a little module wired in to let the fuel injectors fire?

Heres the background, I am removing the CCM (central control module) from my '90 Corvette because the only thing it does is control the light, factory gauges, radio, door switches, etc. everything that I have removed. However, one important thing it does is send a signal to the ECM to allow the ECM to fire the injectors. Without this signal the car will not run. It is part of the anti theft system, the CCM looks for the computer chip in the key, then makes sure the clutch is pressed, then lets the ECM start the car. However, I have removed all of that.

This signal is just a simple 30Hz 5v squarewave. Would it count as a "Piggyback" and require points if I make a module to take the 12v battery input and convert it to a 5v output so the ECM thinks the CCM is still there? It has nothing to do with the tune, or engine power, its just a "fuel enable" signal.

Why remove it if "one important thing it does is send a signal to the ECM to allow the ECM to fire the injectors. Without this signal the car will not run."

I am removing it because I am removing all the wires and functions it controls, except for the fuel enable signal. It is easier to eliminate it all together and wire in a simple signal module. Since I am going to push button start and not using the column, the CCM wont get the signal from the key and be useless anyway.

• National Staff

I suppose it could be considered a sensor input (sensor for the coded key). However, you need to make sure that all you have is a simple ROM board, because the first thing that I would look at in inspecting your car is the ECM with no key, a lot of removed circuitry, etc.......

I suppose it could be considered a sensor input (sensor for the coded key). However, you need to make sure that all you have is a simple ROM board, because the first thing that I would look at in inspecting your car is the ECM with no key, a lot of removed circuitry, etc.......

Gotcha! Thanks. I sent you an email a while back about my ROM board for the tune (including pictures) and you said it was no points. I could see the concern though. All the wires I am removing have nothing to do with engine function, except the one I just asked about.