new RA1 compound lacks durability BIG TIME

monstere30

I'm only getting 6-8 cycles out of my current RA-1's, used to get 10-12 no problem. I don't weigh my farts but I do keep track of my expenses and this new compound is not a durable as the old one.

I am seeing the same thing Mike. A new set of tires for every race weekend to stay competitive. Shaving to 3/32 and get about 6 heat cycles with good grip and a big fall off from 7-10.

• 2 weeks later...

FFR is starting to see the same thing. Most of us are just now starting to use 2010 dated tires as we had 2008's we were still using.

Fact:

2008 and prior dated tires - 30-50 heat cycles and fast until they corded.

2010 - 6-7 heat cycles and times start falling. Also completely wore out a left rear at Putnam in 2 days!

Using RA1s in AI, I too have noticed a big fall off in tire life and traction on last 2 set I have purchased. It almost seems as if they are using the rubber compound recipe from the 888s in the RA1s. Don't mind the performance drop off since we all have to use same tire but the durability issue costs us extra money making our 'fun factor' a bit more costly.

• 1 month later...

okay... well, finally used some 2010 dated RA1s recently

I did notice they corded on the edges and were falling off (just not the grip I was used to when getting close to done) before even cording BUT I bought them used to begin with so they might have been over heatcycled before I got them AND I still got some respectable times despite them being so bad in the end so I dunno....

• 2 weeks later...

Toyo obviously is making the 888's in the RA1 mold.

That's what I said they would do when they announced the return of the RA1 after saying it was gone forever.

Things that make you go hmmmm...