passenger seat and harness

iroc-z

I don't know where the post is now but I know it got locked after this was all covered and settled in here somewhere last season after the 2004 CCR came out.

I also remember calling IO port for the seat back brace when I still thought my car was in question. And also remember them saying their brace is Not designed for use with an OEM seat and requires attachement.

In short, there is a seat back brace that is made by Brey and Krause that will provide proper support for a stock/OEM seat without possibly spearing the occupant. I have one, bought it with the mount early last season in case I needed to install it but since this topic was covered has never been an issue with my particular car.

Ok Chad, I am not sure what your saying here??

"What happens when the seat isn't bolted to the roll bar and you bolt the brace to the seat back then something happens and the roll bar shifts? It _could_ rip the back of the seat off, no? I have Sparco Evo's and they are fiberglass. In this scenario I'd full well expect my seat back to get ripped off."

Sparco Evo's are FIA approved. It is my understanding that they are designed to be OK without a seat back brace for 5 years. FIA approved seats must be mounted as described by their manufacturers.

Are you are saying that with the seat bolted to the floor, and the seat back brace bolted to the seat and harness bar, that the cage could move enough to possibly break the seat back?? Well, Ok, you can always manage to get in a crash that exceeds your safety equipment. The game here is to be as safe as possible, and not to have 'go faster' additions to our cars that actually could make them less safe than stock.

'1greyteg'

Do you have any idea where I might be able to find a picture of the Brey Krause Brace you described??

Mark Wieber

'1greyteg'

Do you have any idea where I might be able to find a picture of the Brey Krause Brace you described??

Mark Wieber

Found it,

The site: http://www.bkauto.com/

And the brace I have: http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9019.php

And a pic of the brace itself: r9019.jpg

And the adapter that attaches to a rollbar/harnessbar: r9021.jpg

Edited by Guest

It _could_ rip the back of the seat off, no? I have Sparco Evo's and they are fiberglass. In this scenario I'd full well expect my seat back to get ripped off.

If you have a seat that is FIA approved, DO NOT use a seat back brace with it. Any drilling of the shell will compromise its structural integrity. The seat is specifically designed to be used WITHOUT a seat back brace.

ASIDE TO ALL: Show me in the NASA rules where it says passengers/instructors must have the same setup as the driver.

I certainly wouldn't and I don't know any instructors that will get into a car that doesn't have the same protection for passengers as drivers. There is no rule in the CCR that says an instructor has to get into a car they don't feel is safe. I'd worry more about getting an instructor to feel like you have all the safety bases covered rather than just merely meeting the letter of the rules.

In cases where students bring a car like this, instructors often take the student out in their own car for a few sessions and then send them alone in the student's car.

Just found this topic. You seem to be well versed in the 'ins and outs' of the rules. Any opinions on this question..

A 97 miata, with MOMO start seats, mounted on the STOCK sliders, using the adaptor sent by the vendor. These are supposed to be FIA rated, but HOW do I know (any sticker, plate, etc) is this is a truth? I do know the seat is fiberglass, as the cloth is wearing on the bolster edge, but it is only mounted on the floor (no back brace). However, the harddog hardcore bar has a horizonal bar running from side to side, and my seat sits right up to it, resting on it in fact. If the seat did snap, it can only move back 1/2" inche, as there is no back seat with vast emptyness like a sedan. I do have two MOMO, with 5 point harness for me, and anyone who feels the need to go slow around a track.

Thought some of you real racers might chime in on this, as I only do HDPE and am not that fast, but smoothness counts (I hope).

slow_eddie

1GreyTeg:)

Thanks for the pictures. I actually looked at something very similar. Uses two through bolts at the harness bar to stop the seat back brace from rotating. Also had shims as spacers. I am thinking about something similar but welding on a couple of gussets to prevent the brace from rotating.

The 1997 Miata 'should' be OK. The potential problem is that the harness bar only touches the seat back along a very small area. I will know better after I help out with tech at Infinion on Saturday. As you point out there is really no place for the seat to go, even if it breaks.

Mark Wieber