Chevy engine in a Porsche 928...HELL YES

icemang17

Well I have been searching for cheap reliable HP for my 928...& finally bit the bullet and bought a nice low mile LS2!!!!!!!!!! I figure saving 200lbs and doubling my HP should make the old 928 a bit faster!!!

The 928 engine can make big HP....but cost 2-4x as much per HP...in other words too much for me!!!!

Hopefully I will race in norcal ST2 late this year or next season for sure!!

Word of advice from another LS2 transplant owner, Plan on dry sumping it if you are running slicks... Or find a stock LS6 instead.

John

E36 LS2 TTU.

Edited by Guest

Heres mine... 408 sbc race motor, 550hp... Should be a blast once the cage is done and slicks are on. From what I've heard, the LS motors are more trouble than their worth, just go with a regular iron block and save yourself some trouble. Still weights about 150lbs less than the stock motor

182495_10150424332655145_719220144_17338175_4652431_n.jpg

Word of advice from another LS2 transplant owner, Plan on dry sumping it if you are running slicks... Or find a stock LS6 instead.

John

E36 LS2 TTU.

I'm lucky.....the company that sells the conversion includes a race oil pan, with baffles and trap doors....that + an accusump should keep it alive...since the LS6 comes with baffles..... I'll also be running on comps for a while

John

E36 LS2 TTU.

I'm lucky.....the company that sells the conversion includes a race oil pan, with baffles and trap doors....that + an accusump should keep it alive...since the LS6 comes with baffles..... I'll also be running on comps for a while

I had the same setup previously, Improved Racing baffled/trapdoor pan plus Accusump. wasn't quite good enough but if you dont have one, get a high quality oil pressure gauge to play it safe. Hopefully, it works out for you.

IN 1998 I ran One Lap of America with a team that had a custom 928 built by BodyMotion with a full-on aluminum Donovan Chevy V8 motor. It had insane HP, and was posting top trap speeds at every track. It blew near the end, but was in contention for the overall.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a local 928 with a 440ci previous LS7 dry sump in it..... Its probably 700+ hp too....

The best known 928 racer runs the 928 engine on a dry sump...makes about 515whp...so around 600hp....but it would cost $40k to replicate.....

I can get 600hp out of my LS2 for maybe $10k....

• 1 month later...

I had a 79 928 that I wanted to do a Chevy engine swap to. Never got around to it. I like the idea though and can't wait to see how it turns out.

• 2 weeks later...

The rotary motor might die off in the 2nd gen RX-7 due to how easy the LSx swap is...im holding out as long as possible.

Hard to argue with the cost effectiveness of those LSx engines...

I finally lost the argument and I am installing an LS1 in my 944S. Goodbye GTS, hello ST2.

I finally lost the argument and I am installing an LS1 in my 944S. Goodbye GTS, hello ST2.

I have been surprised at how reliable the 928 V8 is with only a couple oiling mods..... Currently 49 hours on track and still showing perfect oil analysis....

However the 928 V8 is 150lbs heavier than an LS engine and it costs at least double for similar HP..... For example a pro built 6.5L 928 engine is about $40k for about 500hp....

• 2 weeks later...

I have been surprised at how reliable the 928 V8 is with only a couple oiling mods..... Currently 49 hours on track and still showing perfect oil analysis....

However the 928 V8 is 150lbs heavier than an LS engine and it costs at least double for similar HP..... For example a pro built 6.5L 928 engine is about $40k for about 500hp....

For $40k I could by 3 Thunder Roadsters and start a "race team".

• 7 months later...

I have a 79 928 and i put a LS1 chevy engine in it and it is a completely different car. Its 100% better!!!! The car has 120 more HP and over 100 more torques. Crazy! Go for the Chevy conversion.