first DE1, overpowered car.

super_pablo_

Hello, Ive been checking out these forums recently and I wanted to introduce myself.

I drive a mazda mazdaspeed3 09 as a daily driver, and ever since I bought this car 1.5 years ago Ive been learning a lot about cars in general, from modding and tuning to basics of racing etc... Im still a big noob in most of it, but I have learned a lot as well. A couple of months ago I had my first track experience at arroyo seco raceway with some fellow mazda club members and I really enjoyed it. I was obviously pretty slow because it was my first day ever and I didnt wanna do anything that would put me or my daily driver in a dangerous situation. That said... I do feel I improved a lot by the end of the day, and since, Ive been planning on getting into some HPDE driving.

As I mentioned in the title, my speed3 is definitely not a slow car, Ive got almost all basic bolt ons and tune and a couple of weeks ago I dynoed at 304hp 331 tq. in a dynapack. Ive also done some minor suspension work, with lowering springs and a stiffer rear sway bar. I have some pretty nice tires (yokohama advan AD08 180 treadwear)... so... clearly this car is way over my limits.

I just wanted to ask people for any advice as well as introduce myself.

I know theres probably hundreds of "noobie here .. advice please" threads so, mainly I was just wondering what your thoughts were on my car considering I may only have basic driving skills. I consider myself pretty savvy compared to how I was 2 years ago, but compared to some of my buddies that track their cars... im a complete noob haha!... so, yeah.

Im excited to do this!

I did something very similar to you except more so and with a Honda. By the time I did my first track day I had swapped the motor and supercharged it and done some moderately extensive suspension work. I will tell you with no hesitation that the car scared me and that seriously hampered my learning to drive decently.

That being said I had a hell of a lot of fun along the way.

the real questions is what is your goal? If you are getting into this with the goal that you want to go wheel to wheel racing as soon as possible then I would say you might want to consider getting another car. On the other hand if what you want to do is go to the track and have a lot of fun and drive fast then stick with what you have.

I certainly am not looking for that at this point.

Given this is my daily driver, Im still paying it, and I am just a grad student, I gotta make sure I take care of the car.

Im looking to improve my driving skills, learn a lot, and have as much fun as I can along the way. I wanna see what the car can do if you push it, but I dont wanna find out where its maximum limits are (at this point, hehe)... Im confident I could get to HPDE2 relatively soon if I get into it, but Im not particularly in a hurry to get to DE3.

I may change my mind as I gain more confidence but... either way, my main goal is to have fun with the car.

First off, DON'T be in a hurry to get to DE-2! With DE-1, you'll have an instructor in the car with you, and you'll learn more (at this point) with one in the car than you will without one. Once your instructor tells you to pit-in, hops out, and tells you to go back out, you'll know you're ready for DE-2. Until then, absorb all the pointers you can. There's a lot more to learn than just the line and basic vehicle dynamics, and if you stick with your instructor as long as you can, you may find yourself learning a few things that others didn't. Having big power will force you to be very precise and smooth with the throttle, which really isn't a bad thing. When you learn how to get on the power before you get to apex, you'll suddenly find yourself in a whole new world...

First off, DON'T be in a hurry to get to DE-2! With DE-1, you'll have an instructor in the car with you, and you'll learn more (at this point) with one in the car than you will without one. Once your instructor tells you to pit-in, hops out, and tells you to go back out, you'll know you're ready for DE-2. Until then, absorb all the pointers you can. There's a lot more to learn than just the line and basic vehicle dynamics, and if you stick with your instructor as long as you can, you may find yourself learning a few things that others didn't. Having big power will force you to be very precise and smooth with the throttle, which really isn't a bad thing. When you learn how to get on the power before you get to apex, you'll suddenly find yourself in a whole new world...

+1

Umm, I don't think your car is overpowered at all. I started this hobby in a 554rwhp supercharged Mustang Cobra with a 4.10 rearend.... and stock brakes. With a square head on your shoulders, you are just fine with your car as it sits.

-Kevin

I agree with brkntrxn. Building up to your potential within your abilities will give you a good skill set to carry into competition. But power and weight eat up tires and brakes.

My first time on the track was this February at CMP in HPDE1. My car had 1,515 miles when I pulled on the track for the first time. 2 days of HPDE and one more track day at CMP toasted my front tires, brakes and rotors.

I think I can learn more with less expense using more of a momentum car and I am looking around for a track car.

IMO, the best way to get to HPDE3 is through HPDE1, not HPDE2. The longer you stay in DE1, the better driver you will be. Besides, flying around the track in DE1 with an instructor (and their weight) in your car passing those DE2 students, is a good time.

My progression was more of a "1,1,1,1,2,3,3,3" etc. I've seen a lot of people do the "1,1,2,2,2,2,2,3 and still slow" technique. The instructors are there for a reason, very well trained, and are included in the price of admission. You might as well get their expertise for the same price as the other group.

Too much power? Take each corner in the next higher gear than you otherwise would. That will give you an easier gas pedal and give you more time to think ahead.

David

Too much power? Take each corner in the next higher gear than you otherwise would. That will give you an easier gas pedal and give you more time to think ahead.

David

I took this farther and did my first couple of days in my '07 Mustang GT in one gear. Fourth was fine all the way around TWS. This let me pay a little more attention to the instructor and not worry about braking and downshifting into corners. Yes, it might be a little frustrating coming out of the slower corners in a higher gear but you're not going to get a trophy anyway.

Also, regarding the brakes, you don't gain that much by standing the car on its nose into every corner. Brake a little sooner and easier and concentrate on having the correct speed at the correct turn in point. You gain a lot of "fast out" if you are under control and at the right place at the beginning of the corner. Most driving books say that you don't gain a lot by "late braking" anyway and it is typically the last place you look for speed.

I took this farther and did my first couple of days in my '07 Mustang GT in one gear. Fourth was fine all the way around TWS. This let me pay a little more attention to the instructor and not worry about braking and downshifting into corners. Yes, it might be a little frustrating coming out of the slower corners in a higher gear but you're not going to get a trophy anyway.

Also, regarding the brakes, you don't gain that much by standing the car on its nose into every corner. Brake a little sooner and easier and concentrate on having the correct speed at the correct turn in point. You gain a lot of "fast out" if you are under control and at the right place at the beginning of the corner. Most driving books say that you don't gain a lot by "late braking" anyway and it is typically the last place you look for speed.

Underline all of this.

thanks for all the info....

Ill definitely try to get as much help as I can in DE1... like I said, Im in no hurry to jump categories, just wanna learn more.

not sure Id wanna do the high gear technique cause Im not really a fan of putting my car under stress at lower RPMS (we have a history of shitty bent rods for flooring at low RPM), but Ill definitely look for ways to take it easy on the power.

I might just tune down my boost targets below 3000RPM, that way i wont be afraid of flooring it.

Ill post pics once the event occurs!

Can you reduce the boost?

Here is what I would do if I was instructing you (I've had some time instructing a race prepped RX8)

Assuming it was your first or second weekend

Since I'm spending the whole first session getting you familiar with the line 0 - 3 shifts per lap

You'd be surprised how that helps to learn how to get around

During that session I'm feeling where the power band is and how you are handling it.

If you manage to get the track in a session (I've had one or two students get it), then we work on eyes up, still minimal shifting - you are getting feed from a fire hose!

When you have the layout and are looking far enough ahead we compress braking zones

By then its the last session on Sunday (if we're lucky) and we just tweak things the last session so you can drive it home in one piece.

If you have all the above down and its your third or fourth weekend, starting with minimal shifts.

One session drive the line and concentrate on smooth

One session "bump" the gators, helps to understand the whole width of the track.

Next session after a couple laps then a lap using JUST the left side of the track, then the right, repeat as necessary.

In a download session talk about ways to handle emergencies and off track excursions. Please listen! Had one student that I told "If you swing wide at this turn, straighten the wheel, slow down, then come back on track" he didn't listen and when he went wide we went for a wild ride at least he didn't hit anything.

Then we would work on good gear selection for that track and your engine's torque and hp band.

It takes a while to figure all this out!

I hope I get jimbow for my instructor this weekend. Nothing like my previous instructor from last time.

You're paying for it - demand good instruction. If you don't feel like you are getting good instruction talk with the chief instructor. Look me up at Road Atl and if we can work it in I can certainly give you a ride to help get it down.

If you are ever at a mid-atlantic event look up Mike Sarver, Jack MacAfee or any of the "On the hill" gang.

Sweet. I xould definitely lower boost... I was gonna bring down the boost at low rpm but I can always reflash a low boost map that I had from when I was almost stock. I can reflash maps every 5 minutes so ill talk to my instructor and see what he prefers

TRUST ME when I say that your instructor will much prefer one setting, ANY setting, and work off of that... In DE-1, performance of the vehicle is of minimal concern. Select a map where you have control of the car (think lower boost settings, less aggressive everything!), and learn how to drive before you worry about how fast you're going. That will pay long-term dividends!

Like others have said, the focus should be on driving technique and awareness. Some basic guidelines for car prep:

Lower the boost if you can and run 100 octane at the track.

Since you have a boosted engine, I'd keep the tank 1/2 full or more to prevent fuel starvation.

Fresh brake pads and high temp fluid (Willwood, Motol).

Monitor tire pressure, lug nuts, engine temps.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Gen 2 speed 3 and have run a few track days with her. I would suggest decent brakes for sure especially to be safe. Personally I run ATE super blue fluid and Hawk HP+ pads all around. Never had a problem fading them, the speeds have fantastic brakes so atleast your good there. Also the traction control isnt that much of a PITA at the track so I would just leave it on

On my previous track day, I was constantly getting to the point where traction control would kick in, coming out of turns... probably helping me with the power understeer Id be getting, but it got a bit annoying. I might try to take it off this time, the car feels a bit tail happier with it off, although its probably from my recent rsb upgrade.

I will stick to the stock pads for now cause I dont have enough time to replace em, but they are still in great shape, Id say about 3/4 life left on em... Im aware I may have to replace em after this track day but... thats ok. Its DE1 anyway, so I dont think ill have to be crazy aggressive on the car anyway...

thanks for all the advice, Ill give u guys an update sometime next week... maybe throw a few pics here if I get any!

• 3 weeks later...

as promised...

heres a couple

passing a nismo 350z

http://purestreetphoto.zenfolio.com/p287402403/e302fee56

nice shot

http://purestreetphoto.zenfolio.com/p287402403/e14b5e7f0

at night

http://purestreetphoto.zenfolio.com/p287402403/e2a96b875

sorry for the links as opposed to pics but... I think Id be unfair to the photographer since I didnt (or havent) purchased these.

Had a blast. Going for my first DE2 event in a month!