So...the Boss 302

LateApex2121

Ahhhh I did

Pretty car but will get spanked by a TTB GT vs stock TTA Boss. You can build a faster base GT and so the legend dies...

I dont mean to resurect a dead thread... but.....

I have a 00 GT with less than 300RWHP. All in all the car is worth maybe 15k if I found the right buyer, half that if I was to sell it to anyone on the street. American Muscle did a comparo of the Bos 302 and the Camaro SS around NJMP Lighting, the Boss Ran 1.20 and the camaro 1.22 by I'd imagine a somewhat skilled driver.

My average times on that track are 1.16-1.17, in a car with about 100hp less, a lot less money, and classed in TTB.

So is the Boss a cool street car yes, cool DE car sure. Something I would buy to be competitive in TT - far from it.

The difference between your posted times and American Muscle is the standing start. Boss had a horrible start and Camaro smoked it's tires. I am sure your posting lap times at speed. Also, what mods have you done to the '00 GT? Times quoted on street tires?

By all appearances, the Boss and Camaro are bone stock lapping on street rubber.

Pretty car but will get spanked by a TTB GT vs stock TTA Boss. You can build a faster base GT and so the legend dies...

That is not true. Having owned an '11 GT and now a '12 Boss, the Boss has a much stronger motor than the GT. More hp equals faster lap times. Also, my stock Boss is 2 seconds a lap faster than my old GT (stock) in 101 degree heat.

Ahhh I did not realize they were from a standing start. Your right, on lightning (if your starting at the start/finish line, that has to be good for 4-5 seconds

I saw your above thread, and maybe your power losses are car specific. I'm within hundreths between my 3rd lap of a session and my 20th lap of a session.

My car is modded somewhat, maybe 290ish HP @ the wheels. When I ran 1:16-1:17 it was on street tires (Azenis). I'm hoping to be a bit quicker on a 100 treadwear tire now.

No doubt the 100 something hp more the Boss has is going to make it a faster car, but overall, it may not be quicker around the whole track, and of course it depends on the track.

Watkins Glenn - it will whoop me

Thunderbolt or lightning - I think i'd still have a good chance.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Z06

• LateApex2121

• Varkwso

• obzezzed350

The newer Mustangs ('11-'12) are light years ahead of the SN95.

A couple guys posted they have seen numerous Mustangs dead on the track. They never answered what year. I can believe they saw old 5 liters dead. Those cars suck! The newer 5 liter is reliable.

I checked mylaps and the '11 GT i had was faster than AI cars at MSRH, but I got to drive that car home after turning laps. Its going to be interesting to see what the lap times for a prepped Boss will turn.

The Boss is no shrinking violet.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a chance to drive a student's boss at MSRC. It handled much like a corvette C5: It went where I pointed it, when I pointed it. Very very nice car. Can't wait to see them out in TT with us.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

3 events so far with a Boss. One track I don't like. And two I tracks I do like.

The Boss in street form is not competitive in TTS. Meaning it wont beat Sean and his rocket sled. Lacking aero and weighing as much as Rosie O'Donald it just isn't going to set any track records. Completely bone stock, it wouldn't compete in TTA either.

Reliability: it's problems are self inflicted. Throttle body issues from the FRPP 90mm TB. At least the one the I bought has idling issues and now acceleration issues. It doesnt open and close properly.

Broken diff or axle or both from poor workmanship at a local shop. They removed the axles to install wheel studs and I don't think they reinstalled things correctly.

Cooling issues and we aren't even in the summer months. 280+ oil temps and 214 water temps. Put the 302S hood on and still didn't lower temps significantly.

Overall: I really like the car. Would I take this course again? Yes. It really is a fun car. Stable and quick.

Missing my Corvette though. Think Ill fix it.

3 events so far with a Boss. One track I don't like. And two I tracks I do like.

The Boss in street form is not competitive in TTS. Meaning it wont beat Sean and his rocket sled. Lacking aero and weighing as much as Rosie O'Donald it just isn't going to set any track records. Completely bone stock, it wouldn't compete in TTA either.

Reliability: it's problems are self inflicted. Throttle body issues from the FRPP 90mm TB. At least the one the I bought has idling issues and now acceleration issues. It doesnt open and close properly.

Broken diff or axle or both from poor workmanship at a local shop. They removed the axles to install wheel studs and I don't think they reinstalled things correctly.

Cooling issues and we aren't even in the summer months. 280+ oil temps and 214 water temps. Put the 302S hood on and still didn't lower temps significantly.

Overall: I really like the car. Would I take this course again? Yes. It really is a fun car. Stable and quick.

Ford is doing a much better job of targeting the enthusiast. If the local dealers were not scalping them so much I would be driving a new Boss also. The magic of depreciation will eventually make one a reality for me.

Jeff if you would stop being so tight and go dig up one of thoses jar's of money you got buried in the back yard you could go ahead and order a 2013.A friend of mine just ordered one at invoice.

Robert

Jeff if you would stop being so tight and go dig up one of thoses jar's of money you got buried in the back yard you could go ahead and order a 2013.A friend of mine just ordered one at invoice.

Robert

Hey Jeff I have a friend that can get you an x-plan. Whatever that is.

Robert

And spend my lunch money from second grade? I don't think so.

First time I have heard of anybody having axel issues. If you want to spend $$ Cool Tech has a really nice oil cooler setup. Will be real curious how mine does at Sebring this weekend.

Peter

I basically have the Cool Tech setup. We pieced it together using a Setrab cooler and the sandwich remote oil locator. Still hitting 280+ oil temps. My oil cooler is not as big though.

I basically have the Cool Tech setup. We pieced it together using a Setrab cooler and the sandwich remote oil locator. Still hitting 280+ oil temps. My oil cooler is not as big though.

Wow still 280+ what grill are you running or did you just pull the grill for track. ? Water temps didn't sound near a high as some people are experiencing though so that is good.

Peter

I run a new coyote engine and my oil temp was 300 and water was 212 so I moved the oil cooler directly in front of the grill opening and it dropped to 260.I drilled afew holes in the thermostat when it stuck and the the water temp never got above 195 from then on.I think they're surpost to run at 212 though.

Robert

The stock grill is still there but removed the fog light covers. Thought by installing the 302S hood, it would increase airflow through the radiator.

I installed a fluidyne in the GT I had. It helped that car tremendously. The needle never went past the center of the gauge. May do the same for the Boss. They claim a two row radiator but I think it's a junk radiator.

It's a learning project for sure.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Overall: I really like the car. Would I take this course again? Yes. It really is a fun car. Stable and quick

2012 Boss 302 here experiencing the same issues, concerns. Added the FRPP radiator and 302S hood and still tripped the coolant lights. Pulled the front grill and all was well. I also have a 302S grille that FRPP sent me to try... didn't solve the issue. I am at higher elevation (5200 ft), but even in Hastings it ran hot. I'll be looking into the oil-cooler, but I have a feeling that I'll be running without a front grill as long as I live at this elevation.

Things I have done to no avail since my last Boss post:

1. PWR radiator

2. Gutted grill and thermostat

3. Boxed everything around the radiator

4. Added a scope to underside of the car forcing air into the radiator

And non of it works.

220 water temp and 290 oil temp.

Fried my clutch at the last event. 1400 track miles. Until then, the car did really good in TTS. 2nd place Saturday after hitting traffic every session blowing all my laps. 3rd place Sunday running just one crappy session. The car should have placed 1st on Sunday as Sean's tires were gone and his times vulnerable.

you sure gutting the thermostat was the way to go? I've heard of that causing issues - something to do with water not staying in the radiator long enough to cool off. No expert though, just a suggestion of something to investigate further