So...the Boss 302

LateApex2121

I have the monster oil pan (14 qts) on mine and I was running 250 on the oil temp at TWS.

220 water and 230 cht

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Z06

• LateApex2121

• Varkwso

• obzezzed350

you sure gutting the thermostat was the way to go? I've heard of that causing issues - something to do with water not staying in the radiator long enough to cool off. No expert though, just a suggestion of something to investigate further

Read why that theory isn't valid: http://www.stewartcomponents.com/tech_tips/Tech_Tips_3.htm

My 2004 Cobra engine over-cooled itself with no thermostat (and no bypass circuit) at highway speeds, to the point that the fuel map started going back into cold-start mode (non-OEM ECU). It was at 162*F and still dropping when I decided that the experiment wasn't going to work for a mostly-street car with a fairly thick Griffin stock car radiator. It might work better in a track environment, though.

In a remote thermostat system (as is used in the 4.6L DOHC modular engines, if this applies to the Boss 302), you will need to delete the bypass circuit that serves to get the thermostat up to temperature if you want to delete the thermostat. I'm not familiar with the thermostat setup on the new 5.0Ls, but I think they have a similar bypass plunger to the 4.6L DOHC thermostats.

Mark