HPDE passing rules

Roger Davis

I am a new member to NASA and I have signed up for the June event at Summit Point. I am an experienced open tracker and also an instructor with PDA. However I am not familiar with the passing rules in NASA. I have been assigned to run Group four which I understand has more liberal passing rules. Can sombody clarify the rules for me?

Thanks,

RD

HPDE 4 passing rules sometimes differ between regions and tracks, but generally you can pass everywhere but the corners. You should check with your regional director before the event or they will explain the passing rules at the driver's meeting before you go out.

-Jim

Roger:

HPDE Group 4 is not only the most advanced group, but also the group where racers run their cars when breaking-in their engines or trying new suspension setups. It's like a race, driven at the pace of a race, but without the risks involved. Much like a warm-up session, although faster. And that's important, very important, actually.

While in a race, you might press the pedal down to the metal, even though your oil temp is up in the sky, hoping to make it through the final lap all the way to the finishing line. You are taking a chance because you feel there's a possible reward that would outscore the risk involved. However, it would be insane to risk an engine in an HPDE event.

The same maxim, but on a much more severe level, applies to passing and, ultimately, accidents.

You drive as fast as you feel comfortable with, pass where you feel it's safe, but do not--under no circumstances--take a risk of contact when passing another car. You would not want to be T-boned by someone else, and nobody else wants to be T-boned by you. The most important unknown here is the other driver. If you race, you sometimes take chances just to move up one position. But you know the guys you are racing with, can predict their behavior and moves. No such luck in HPDE. There's always a chance that the other driver gets nervous if you breath down his or her neck and makes a simple driving mistake or an error in judgement. If this happens, there should be no contact between cars because You tried to pass on the edge of a razor blade. Does that make sense?

I guess it does, even more so since you seem to be an experienced driver. As usual, safety first! The one formost, outstanding criteria that applies when considering issuing a competition license is safety. The instructors will ask themselves: do I feel comfortable to race with this guy (or gal) in the same race group?

But you knew that already, didn't you?

With kind regards,