Roman1539105743

Atlanta - Coolant in Race Groups

Roman1539105743

Jim - or whoever is making the desision:

What is the ruling on coolant for Road Atlanta this weekend in race cars? Latest weather forecast shows overnight temps down to 36 - getting kind of close for comfort.

Thanks. Looking forward to trying out NASA this weekend.

Roman

SpecMiata #32

wildhorsesracing

All race tracks we go to require water in racecars, but you can always add an additive such as 'Water Wetter' to help it when the temps get close to freezing.

All race tracks we go to require water in racecars, but you can always add an additive such as 'Water Wetter' to help it when the temps get close to freezing.

Jim you realize that Water Wetter has a zero or negative impact on decreasing the freezing point of water right? In fact right in the technical notes for water wetter (http://www.redlineoil.com/whitePaper/17.pdf it states that water wetter will infact "expand by 9% upon freezing which can cuase severe engine damage"

Both Mid Ohio and Nashville (LM being the director at both races) allowed the competitors to run a mix of water and antifreeze because of the low temps expected (and received) during the night. At MO it even snowed on us overnight and throughout qualifying last year.

Roman1539105743

Jim,

Water-wetter doesn't do squat to help with freezing temps. I don't want to be a dick about it, but the risk of a cracked block isn't worth it to me. Please advise so I can make appropriate plans.

Roman

SM #32

wildhorsesracing

Sorry, I was mis-informed about water wetter, there are other additives out there that will keep your water based coolant from freezing, but I do not have the time to do the research.

We will not check your radiators for contents, you are free to run whatever you choose to use in your cars. We are only passing on what the track's tell us, if you choose to run coolant at a track that requires no coolants then you are responsible for any issues that arise as a result of using it.

"I am not trying to be a dick" either - as long as you understand any additional fees, cleanup, etc incurred by using coolant will be passed on to the driver involved.

Karl

I just installed a new radiator and flushed/filled the system with water only. And Im not the least bit concerned. It takes a long while of colder than freezing tempatures to freeze the radiator or block.

Edited by Guest

Roman1539105743

Thanks Jim,

I appreciate you passing on the info. Looking forward to meeting you this weekend. Rain or shine, it will be a ball.

Roman

SM #32

4re308

They are now calling for low temps around 45 degrees with a high on Saturday and Sunday close to 60 degrees, it will not get anywhere near freezing this weekend. No worries guys!