Toyo Tires and earthquake

b f cybronetics

The earthquake in Japan has taken out Toyo's largest manufacturing facility in Sendai Japan. This city was very close to the center of the earthquake and tsunami. Currently on a global basis Toyo Tires has been running at 100% of plant capacity. I suspect we get our tires from their Georgia facility. We MAY,( and it is too early to tell), experience slow delivery of RA-1's. As a suggetion racers may want to buy in sooner rather than later.

Found this:

OSAKA, Japan (March 12, 2011) — Toyo Tire & Rubber Co. Ltd. is reporting it has suspended production at its tire factory in Sendai, Japan — near the epicenter of the March 11 earthquake that shook Japan — and is attempting to verify the “safety and welfare” of its employees in the area.

Toyo said production at the plant in Sendai was suspended due the loss of power in the region. The company said it is taking “appropriate steps to respond to the crisis,” including setting up an emergency crisis center.

Once power is restored and the safety of the plant has been confirmed, Toyo said it plans to restore operations, but it is not yet clear when this might happen.

The Sendai plant employs 1,200 workers, making passenger, light truck, medium truck, industrial and racing tires.

Toyo said none of its plants was affected by the tsunami that followed the 8.9-magnitude earthquake that struck off Japan’s northeast coast at 2:46 p.m. March 11, and that it appears none of its facilities has suffered significant damage.

At this time, it is not yet known what the company’s financial losses or the impact to business results will be from this earthquake.

I wonder if Toyo will be willing to extend the expiration of any Toyo Bucks that would expire in the midst of a global shortage?

Gents-

Working on seeing what fallback plans we can put in place. We will get something out there as soon as we know anything.

Thanks as always for the patience.

-JWL

I wonder if Toyo will be willing to extend the expiration of any Toyo Bucks that would expire in the midst of a global shortage?

They refused to during their other shortages, and this time it's actually not their own fault, so I really wouldn't expect anything.

Update from John Lindsey - makes it clear where we are at now:

Eric-

After spending some time on the phone today, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that anything on a truck should be OK to be delivered so it sounds like Tires Direct will get theirs. Phil's Tire also has 100 tires coming in two weeks and they are confirmed to be in the country and on a truck now. I also found 16 tires at Bob Woodman and 8 tires at Toyos Only.

The bad news is that there are not any left in the warehouses.

So we will have tires for the short term, soon.

We will need options for later this year.

Options are being considered. Stay tuned. My advice is to get RA-1's while you can.