West coast AI2!! 4K in prize money and YOU make the rules!!!

47car

I'm out this weekend. The forecast gets worse every time I look at it. Probably going to go to BW you should come.

WEAK. I raced a CONVERTIBLE rain or shine for 15 years. We race rain or shine across the country. If you're going to get car count up this AI Asterisk group needs to have a new rule that you sign up early, regardless of others who are signed up and race whether its sunny, rainy, cloudy or overcast. Track conditions change hourly...make the decision whether to go on track in the hour before....not week before!

(Does anybody race for a regional season championship anymore???)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 47car

• tacovini

• z28racergirl

• Timmay

I'm out this weekend. The forecast gets worse every time I look at it. Probably going to go to BW you should come.

A little tornado warning keeping you home. Good time for the H/D list

Interesting idea hope it works out for all you guys on the west coast. But it sounds like the rules might just be an easy excuse. Time will tell I guess.

I will be at BW next month. The open tire rule sounds appealing with penalties for low tread-wear DOTs and larger widths. Adopting some of the ST2 rules makes sense to me…. luckily I haven’t bought tires yet . Even with the tire penalties I am still under the 8.7 power limit but am OK with the number if it brings more folks on board.

I am in.

Steve

I will be at BW next month. The open tire rule sounds appealing with penalties for low tread-wear DOTs and larger widths. Adopting some of the ST2 rules makes sense to me…. luckily I haven’t bought tires yet . Even with the tire penalties I am still under the 8.7 power limit but am OK with the number if it brings more folks on board.

I am in.

Steve

Welcome to the group Steve. That makes 6 so far! So tell me a bit more about where you are at power wise. What range can you hit?

Think you can make it to the next BW race?

Thanks, looking forward getting out there with you guys.

I have not had the car on the dyno yet, hope to get there by the end of the month. A guess based on performance thus far is about 300whp. The motor has a stock shortblock with bolt ons ( TFS heads, Perf RPM 2 intake, mild cam). I'll see what they can tune it to, not really sure what it will make.

I plan on racing at the April BW event.

Steve

FWIW, the Seven's Only shop at BW runs a 248 Dynojet at $85. for 3 NASA pulls IIRC. They're usually available during Friday's test day for those interested....

Corey, I hope to be back late this year.

Gary

Right on Gary! That would put us at 8 if Vageli dusts off the rust from his car. Who else is on board? If anyone knows somebody that isn't monitoring this AI forum please let them know about this new group.

I will be interested in this later this year. I should be able to get my back in the car in June if the doc sayes it is ok.

My vote on power is wherever the masses want it to end up.

My vote on tires is a spec tire that will last more than 2 weekends. The open tire rule will end up having to run sticky tires to be competative. If you are going to be a front runner in st2 you better be on hoosier's. When Anderson showes up to run in AIX under AIX rules he will win the contingency. So I don't think contingency should be a driving force on the tire selection for this ......"American Outlaw" group.

Edited by Guest

I will be interested in this later this year. I should be able to get my back in the car in June if the doc sayes it is ok.

My vote on tires is a spec tire that will last more than 2 weekends. The open tire rule will end up having to run sticky tires to be competative. If you are going to be a front runner in st2 you better be on hoosier's. When Anderson showes up to run in AIX under AIX rules he will win the contingency. So I don't think contingency should be a driving force on the tire selection for this "outlaw class".

Alrighty then. That would be nine firm maybes by later in the year! Welcome to the outlaw class or should I just say "the outlaws" since we are not a class.

So your possible power range is pretty open then? Cam you give us that range? The masses won't let this turn into a one set per weekend slick festival. There are too many of us against that. We can make the power penalty too great for that to be an advantage.

editted my post.

Okay. I reread it and now I see your point. Someone might just come clean up in aix because of a high car count for the contingency money. Yeah. Maybe we can talk a tire company into sponsoring our group. If we have a good car count, I would think we could make that happen.

Corey,

I am building a new engine, Knowing I was going to miss half of this year and then the indication there was going to be a power change for next year has me polarized. This could help me make some decisions on my engine. I would be comfortable with 8.7 hp. range and corrosponding tq no.

Corey,

I am building a new engine, Knowing I was going to miss half of this year and then the indication there was going to be a power change for next year has me polarized. This could help me make some decisions on my engine. I would be comfortable with 8.7 hp. range and corrosponding tq no.

So you are pretty open then? There is talk of running a n 8.7 or above power level this year then dropping it to something lower next year like 8.2 or something like that. More definite info to come.

My vote on tires is a spec tire that will last more than 2 weekends. The open tire rule will end up having to run sticky tires to be competative. If you are going to be a front runner in st2 you better be on hoosier's. When Anderson showes up to run in AIX under AIX rules he will win the contingency. So I don't think contingency should be a driving force on the tire selection for this ......"American Outlaw" group.

Spec’ing a long life tire for the future makes sense. In my previous post I didn’t mean to suggest that we permanently allow a tire compound that wears out in a weekend or two. That is one of the things that drove me to AI vs. ST2. I do however like the freedom of tire sizes they allow. Currently I am running Nitto NTO1’s, which are similar to the Toyo’s in my opinion. They offer some alternate sizes and I have been able to get about 6 weekends out of a pair. You can also get a 315-35-17 for under $220 at discount tire.

The 8.7 hp limit sounds good to me as that is about where I was planning to be next year. It may also help with getting folks from ST2 as they wouldn’t have to retune. I am not too hard over on the future hp level though as I still have a motor to build.

Steve

Christine! Where is Christine? No dashboards needed for this class!

A personal call-out! I got your email Corey, thanks! I'm just catching up on what's going on. Unfortunately no way would I be ready for BW in 3 weeks after not running for 2+ years. Maybe I need to call Ginsberg and you too to find out what the heck is REALLY going on. To be blunt, I'm hesitant about giving the finger to the AI group. I wasn't part of your splinter group although I have a ton of respect for you, Wheeler, Ryan W, B-Mac - all the guys. I had said that I supported your idea to run in ST2, which I now know you're unable to do.

Why are we ditching AI? Only to run AIX? I thought everyone was against the third class AI2? I'm out of the loop and this all seems a little out of left field, to me. If anyone can get me up to speed I'd appreciate it.

As it stands I had quite a bit of work (for me) done to my engine 5 ish years ago to get it to the AI power ratios. Because it's a computer car (not carbs) and because I have no idea how to tune the car on a dyno myself, doing more tuning to get to a different ratio will be time consuming and expensive for me. So I'm not interested in a lower ratio.

Anyway, thanks for calling me out, and thanks for the email notifying me to check up on this thread. If anyone wants to get me up to speed, I'm listening.

Christine

Christine! Where is Christine? No dashboards needed for this class!

A personal call-out! I got your email Corey, thanks! I'm just catching up on what's going on. Unfortunately no way would I be ready for BW in 3 weeks after not running for 2+ years. Maybe I need to call Ginsberg and you too to find out what the heck is REALLY going on. To be blunt, I'm hesitant about giving the finger to the AI group. I wasn't part of your splinter group although I have a ton of respect for you, Wheeler, Ryan W, B-Mac - all the guys. I had said that I supported your idea to run in ST2, which I now know you're unable to do.

Why are we ditching AI? Only to run AIX? I thought everyone was against the third class AI2? I'm out of the loop and this all seems a little out of left field, to me. If anyone can get me up to speed I'd appreciate it.

As it stands I had quite a bit of work (for me) done to my engine 5 ish years ago to get it to the AI power ratios. Because it's a computer car (not carbs) and because I have no idea how to tune the car on a dyno myself, doing more tuning to get to a different ratio will be time consuming and expensive for me. So I'm not interested in a lower ratio.

Anyway, thanks for calling me out, and thanks for the email notifying me to check up on this thread. If anyone wants to get me up to speed, I'm listening.

Christine

Let me clarify something here. We are not giving the finger to AI or NASA. Quite the opposite actually. Many of us in this group are loyal AI guys that are just trying to stir up some excitement and it is working. AI west is just in a temporary funk. That is clear. I think just due to a string of unfortunate events. I think AI west will come back around (I hear there are some good changes coming) and until then we can do this and we are still running the American Iron banner.

I am sorry to hear you cant come out and race with us.

Update on this group.....just to let everyone know that this has not died.

There is about 5 of us that have been emailing back and forth coming up with an initial set of rules for the group. (Brian, please shoot me your email address so we can include you) things are going very well and should be able to post some basics here pretty soon. By next week I suspect.

Looks like we have 5 solid cars on board for the next BW race with a few more coming on in the near future. Very exciting for the west coast indeed. Haven't seen 5 cars in an Ai run group in years! NASA has also agreed to let us try out the new traqmate units which should be very cool. stay tuned...

Outsider Inquiry

First, great to see renewed interest in AI on the west coast.

As best that I can tell, west coast AI doesn't appear to have any major changes planned from the current AI rule set. Curious, what has put the spark back for everyone?

Edit : to clarify

Edited by Guest

Outsider Inquiry

First, great to see renewed interest in AI on the west coast.

As best that I can tell, there doesn't appear to be any major changes planned from the current AI rule set. Curious, what has put the spark back for everyone?

That would be Corey looking into AV8SS and trying to do his own thing.

Hmmmmm... All this AI/AI2/AI Lite, running a "special" group within the AI/AIX sanction... what gives?!?!?!

Seems pretty confusing. I think GR45 may be onto something....

We have 5 cars signed up two weeks early for AIX. When was the last time that happened? This is about car counts and having some fun at the track. I think WE are on to something. I am not making the rules to this as the other members of the group will confirm. Griggs and maximum equipped cars are welcomed and encouraged to compete and are eligible for the purse.

I did look into the AV8SS since the west was going down hill. It sounded like a great series and I would run that before I would run a true AIX car but I felt it was too much for your typical AI car build and anyone trying to race on a lesser budget.

I think it's great that there's a push to get cars out to the track and renewed interest in some AI car owners to get out and race. Obviously Chris and I haven't been out in quite a while.

What I'm not quite understanding about this sort of splinter group that's going to run in AIX is why can't they just run under the AI ruleset and run in AI. If the participants in this subset are going to decide on a ruleset, why not just decide on the AI ruleset and call it a day? I understand there's some upset about continuously changing rules, late in the off season rule changes, etc..., and I sympathize. But is there some fundamental disconnect between the AI ruleset and what Corey is trying to achieve that makes settling on the AI ruleset impossible? I think that's the question that has Chris and I scratching our heads (and admittedly we don't monitor nasaforums.com AI section as well as we should).

One thing on which I fully agree with Corey about is the use of GoToMeeting to get together and have a conversation!

Jason <-- Sponsored by GoToMeeting via my paycheck