New REQUIRED Part for ALL Spec3 Racers

Jon M.

• Members

All,

I am extremely pleased that in three short weeks since this season's opening event and through the input and support of the following groups, NASA National, NASA Mid-Atlantic, and BimmerWorld, we have managed to find a great solution to both a safety and compliance issue.

Beginning with the March 25-27 VIR NASA Mid-Atlantic event, all Spec3 competitors will be required to install BimmerWorld Part #Chip_BWS3 into their vehicles ECU. This new advancement will immediately address two key issues we face: the safety of the stock speed limiter and compliance of all competitors' engine programming. We have worked with the manufacturer to keep the costs of the chip as low as we can. Here are the details of the part:

Overview:

This chip is a performance chip with a stock rev limit for engine durability. The compliance aspect of the chip will prevent the field from either cheating or evolving naturally into the need for custom tuning that will raise a competitive car’s chip spend to approximately $1000. This also addresses a major safety issue by removing the 125MPH speed limiter which is hit regularly at longer tracks.

Technical:

Rev Limit – 6500rpms

Remove Speed Limiter

Tuned specifically for open race exhaust

Cost:

Initial (existing) participants - $150

New participants - $200 initial cost, $50 gift certificate rebate after sending documented NASA participation (receipt for entry – HPDE or Race)

Compliance:

This chip comes on a specific decoder board. No other chip will run on this decoder board, so in compliance testing, you can open the ECU, require that a decoder board be on the ECU, and then give the competitior one of your compliance chips. If it won’t run the car, the decoder is not valid and their previous chip was not legal. Chips will be supplied as reasonably needed to regional administrators at no charge for use in compliance testing.

Where to Buy:

http://store.bimmerworld.com/spec3-performance-chip-p1627.aspx

Deliveries to VIR for all of next weekend's competitors if you order by Wednesday March 23rd.

Thank you to all parties involved in this process for quickly addressing a serious safety concern in a timely manner.

All the best and please post all questions here or email/pm me directly.

Regards,

Jon M.

There is a speed limiter?

I kid, I kid. Thanks to everyone who made this happen, I know that a rules change after the season starts can be cuumbersome to push through.

I look forward to NOT hitting the speed limiter next weekend.

• Members

For those looking for the chip to be delivered at the track next weekend, please make sure you include that comment with your order.

Obviously, everyone else can just have it shipped.

Thanks,

Jon

Thanks guys. I will have all Track Delivery orders with me at our transporter. Please come by and pick yours up. If you want to bring your ECU we will pop it in for you.

Thanks guys. I will have all Track Delivery orders with me at our transporter. Please come by and pick yours up. If you want to bring your ECU we will pop it in for you.

Excellent! Now I just need to figure out what box is the ECU Never been there before..