How are points assessed for rain tires?

Cobra4B

The forecast looks suspect for VIR this weekend so I'm going to bring my junk street wheels/tires that I use to shake down the car. I think they're friggen' Kumho runcraps. But it got me thinking... if I had a set of Hoosier Wets ready to go how would points be assessed for those?

Yep. It still goes by the treadwear rating of 40.

DOT-approved R-compound tires with a UTQG treadwear rating of 40 or less (examples: BFG R1, Goodyear Eagle RS,

Hankook Z214 (C71, C70, C51, C50), Hoosier R6, Kumho V710, etc. --note: G.A.C.& VRL Hoosiers OK) +10

Thanks guys.... dind't know the tread rating on rain tires, never owned any. Praying for no rain, but it'll be funny to see how she runs on the runcraps if it comes to that

I've yet to see a TT day / event where there wasn't at least one session dry enough to make Hoosiers or similar work - not optimally - but work none the less. I'm sure it can happen though

And yes, the "rain" versions of tires are generally treated the same as their dry weather counterparts:

Full Tread RA1s/R888s +7

Kumho W710s, Hoosier Wets +10

etc

- KB, who never bothered with rains until moving into PT

I've yet to see a TT day / event where there wasn't at least one session dry enough to make Hoosiers or similar work - not optimally - but work none the less. I'm sure it can happen though

I hadn't seen one until last weekend here in Norcal. All 8 sessions the track was wet with lots of puddles/standing

water and I had no street or rain tires

The A6's were not bad in the wet except in the standing water!

John

03 Z06 TTS

dunlop direzza star specs are cheap +2 and pretty handy in the wet although I've only realy auto-x'd them

I have run fresh ones in the rain in the lemons car, they are pretty good

spoken like someone who hasn't experienced the magic of a fresh set of Hoosier wets

The difference between regular Hoosiers and street tires in the dry is the difference between Hoosier wets and street tires in the wet

I have heard a few things about the Wets, that they will overheat and blister if it is not soaking wet, but then I have also heard they are made of A6 compound...

spoken like someone who hasn't experienced the magic of a fresh set of Hoosier wets

The difference between regular Hoosiers and street tires in the dry is the difference between Hoosier wets and street tires in the wet

That is true for most but not all street tires!

The wet tire testing in GRM a few months ago showed the Continental Extreme DW tire was closer to the Hoosier WET than it was to the third place street tire. And they won't come apart when it's a drying track.

Of course the Hoosier WET was faster than the Conti, but the Conti smoked all the other uber tires by quite a large measure.

And they are cheaper than most of the other tires as well!

The wet tire testing in GRM a few months ago showed the Continental Extreme DW tire was closer to the Hoosier WET than it was to the third place street tire. And they won't come apart when it's a drying track.

Of course the Hoosier WET was faster than the Conti, but the Conti smoked all the other uber tires by quite a large measure.

Im impressed that a street tire would be so close to a full wet, but isnt Conti owned by Hoosier?

Im impressed that a street tire would be so close to a full wet, but isnt Conti owned by Hoosier?

That came up on CF during the Rolex 24 @ Daytona.... it's a "strategic partnership", someone posted a link to an article about it. Basically the "Continental" tires they were all running on were Hoosier racign slicks w/o a blank sidewall and "Continental" painted on the sides

if I was buying wets I'd buy conti's, because they are likely going to be fresher date codes than the Hoosiers, and it's the same tire

That came up on CF during the Rolex 24 @ Daytona.... it's a "strategic partnership", someone posted a link to an article about it. Basically the "Continental" tires they were all running on were Hoosier racign slicks w/o a blank sidewall and "Continental" painted on the sides

That is only true for the ST and GS class slicks. The rain tire is new and the GT and DP tires are all Conti-made (as far as I know). The GT and DP tires were in development all thru 2010 and they switched to them in 2011 as the spec tire to replace the Pirelli tires. Hoosier (again "to my knowledge") does not make a DP tire.

Conti is easily 10x the size of Hoosier, so I do not think Hoosier would be the owner in that "strategic partnership" (if there was an "owner").

I have a takeoff set of 2010 tires from a Street Tuner team here. They started as Hoosiers, but had the cast-in Hoosier logo scraped/sanded/machined off the sidewall, along with the build date code. Then, the Continental logo was painted on a blank spot on the sidewall. It was probably done in the interest of getting existing Hoosiers to the track quickly with the Continental name on them.

I also have a takeoff set of 2011 tires from a GS team here. There are no old, scraped-off Hoosier logos remnants on them, just the painted Continental logo.

Mark

Thanks for the tip on these tires, but they are not available in 15". I'm trying to decide if it's worth investing in some Hoosier wets or just use street tires if it's very wet. Summer is coming soon!

Thanks for the tip on these tires, but they are not available in 15". I'm trying to decide if it's worth investing in some Hoosier wets or just use street tires if it's very wet. Summer is coming soon!

And down here where we run, it typically only rains in mid/late afternoon, so the weather only affects the last session of the day, which is usually the slowest in dry conditions due to the heat. I wouldn't spend too much money on them, unless you think we'll have a freak weekend this summer where it will be raining all day (and chances are that will be during a hurricane, and we won't be at the track, anyway).

Mark

Of course the Hoosier WET was faster than the Conti, but the Conti smoked all the other TESTED uber tires by quite a large measure.

Doug,

Continental Shill Fixed it for you.

Peter

Of course the Hoosier WET was faster than the Conti, but the Conti smoked all the other TESTED uber tires by quite a large measure.

Doug,

Continental Shill Fixed it for you.

Peter

I think all the other big names were represented.... I'll have to go back and look at which tires exactly were in the group.

As for the "shill" part.... Can't argue with a 340 TW street tire that will do a 2:24.3 at Sebring 12-hour course or a 2:08.9 at VIR full while on a lowly Neon.

I think all the other big names were represented.... I'll have to go back and look at which tires exactly were in the group.

As for the "shill" part.... Can't argue with a 340 TW street tire that will do a 2:24.3 at Sebring 12-hour course or a 2:08.9 at VIR full while on a lowly Neon.

A very low Neon....