2005 Corvette w/A4 acts like it is out of gear

johnalley

Last year I did my first event at VIR in my 2005 Corvette with A4 tranny. Car was great on straights but when I entered a high speed turn it acted like it was out of gear until I got the car straight again. This also happened at Autobahn and also when I did a low speed autocross at Tire Rack in South Bend. I have since got a 2004 Z06 for this year but am still trying to figure out why the auto would act like it was out of gear. Any one else have this experience and if so what is the fix. Could it be a tranny fluid pickup issue and if so how do I fix that problem.

Hard to diagnose w/o seeing a video or being there. My student a couple weekend ago had a 2002 auto C5 with a Magnusson supercharger on it. Once he learned the track he would force it into 2nd gear in certain areas then manually upshift it with the stick. It did ok, but it's far from optimal.

I don't remember it ever acting like it was out of gear, but there were situations where the torque converter would unlock coming through a high-speed turn as he'd roll into the gas. The stock trans programming couldn't make up it's mind if it wanted to downshift or hold the higher gear so it'd unlock the converter for a bit then decide to hold the gear and lock the converter again. It was quite annoying as a downshift at the wrong time could cause a spin... which would be very bad coming down through turn 12 at RA.

You made the right decision getting a C5 Z06... best track car for the money out there IMO.

~Brian

Best solution would be to let the car grow a third pedal... When I was coming up the HPDE ladder, I had an auto as well, and after a VERY hairy "random downshift" my instructor advised me to "put a manual in this thing before you kill yourself..." Wise advice!

Ahh come on Dave, I track an auto in TT, it's not that bad.

Your right foot just has to learn control and I do mean control.

But, what would I pick if I had a choice - manual everyday