alignment

sean

i did an alignment on my dads spec 3 today, but had a few small issues. i was not able to get as much of a camber travel out of the front or the rear as i had expected and left me wondering what alignment specs everyone else is running. the rear camber maxed out at -1.5 on both sides and the front maxed out at -2.5. i have the caster set to the mots negative setting to allow full camber range, but i am still not able to get as much as i expected and wanted. are you guys experiencing the same limitations?

your rear camber settings seem to be normal with the stock adjustment range. The fronts seem to be all over the place with different people. I might be somewhere around -2.8* in the front, but I think I'm at the max caster setting and haven't changed it since.

Someone else on the spec3 forum was having a big issue with their plates, but I don't remember who it was. Check some of the older posts here and on bimmerforums and see if you can find it.

well i guess its good to know that i'm the same range as most others. i am still dissapointed as i wanted -3 or more in the front and expected to have more range of movement than i needed. i wanted the rear closer to -2, but you are right it is about at factory spec.

should be able to do the alignment on my car on saturday or early next week, then i'll have something to compare it with.

Are you using the strut top reinforcing plates? They need the lip trimmed to allow the Vorshlag plates to attain full negative camber. Note that the camber plates ship in Max Castor position. They will need to be changed to mid or min castor position to get max neg camber.

well i got my car on the rack today after work. the drivers side of my car had the adjustment range i had hoped for. front camber went all the way to -3.5 rear caber to -2. the passengers side was more or less the same as my dads car, with front camber maxed out at -2.5 and the rear camber at -1.2. my final specs are basically the same as my dad's -2.5 up front -1.5 ish in the rear. unfortunately i am left even more confused and irritated after doing my car.

• Members
well i got my car on the rack today after work. the drivers side of my car had the adjustment range i had hoped for. front camber went all the way to -3.5 rear caber to -2. the passengers side was more or less the same as my dads car, with front camber maxed out at -2.5 and the rear camber at -1.2. my final specs are basically the same as my dad's -2.5 up front -1.5 ish in the rear. unfortunately i am left even more confused and irritated after doing my car.

Has that chasis ever been in a driver's side accident?

Is the front strut tower deformed at all?

It is very easy to have these cars change through a fender bender.

the car has had front and right side impact damage. i thought i had changed all of the affected parts. none of the unibody looks like it was bent, everything bolted on without issue other than the radiator support on the passenger side. i guess you cant really see a half degree difference with your eyes though. i guess its time to get out the sledge hammer again.