1st HPDE coming up, questions about tires for stock S2K, etc

WillDeere

Hi everyone,

I will be attending my first DE with NASA at the NCCAR for Spring Brake. I am very excited but also anxious. I am already planning on changing oil/filter, differential fluid, MTF, and brake fluid. However, my biggest concern is tires. I have a stock 2003 S2000. The previous owner had replaced the rear tires with a cheap all-season and the fronts are still the original S-02s!

I'd love to find a good set of AP2 wheels instead of just replacing the tires but I do appreciate the looks of the AP1 wheels and I understand that they won't be holding me back.

Would you all suggest I keep the AP1 wheels and just replace the tires? If so, would you go with something like the Star Specs or Hankook RS-3s? Or rather a max performance tire like the Conti DW?

On the other hand, should I pick up a set of AP2 wheels?

Am I over thinking this?

what brake pads are u running?

if it's yer summer car and u don't have money to have second set of wheels, i'd just get new tires.

which wheels u run are a personal preference. has little to do with whether u'll have a funner track day in HPDE. if u got the money and place to store it, yea sure get a second set of wheels with track tires and just go with long lasting all seasons on the other set.

its not completely nessecary, but having the same type tire all around would be one less thing to think about while you're out there.

If you're pretty sure that you're going to get into this then the 2nd set of wheels would be my recommendation

what brake pads are u running?

The stock pads are on it. There is plenty of pad left. Is a pad upgrade necessary?

if it's yer summer car and u don't have money to have second set of wheels, i'd just get new tires.

It is my three season/weekend car only. I can technically afford a 2nd set of wheels.

which wheels u run are a personal preference. has little to do with whether u'll have a funner track day in HPDE. if u got the money and place to store it, yea sure get a second set of wheels with track tires and just go with long lasting all seasons on the other set.

I doubt I'll put more than 6K miles on this car in any given year so tire wear is of little consequence.

its not completely nessecary, but having the same type tire all around would be one less thing to think about while you're out there.

If you're pretty sure that you're going to get into this then the 2nd set of wheels would be my recommendation

I want to get new tires whether or not I get into DEs. I just thought that some input from folks involved in track and higher performance driving would be a good idea. I am 80 percent sure I am going to get into this. I am cutting it close before my first event.

I suppose the 2nd question would be....if I get a set of 17s, which set (16 or 17) would be better for the track? And would a max performance tire be more than suitable for the occasional track day (Conti DW or Yoko S.Drive)?

I run starspecs on my Lotus and I highly recommend them for a street/part time track tire. For your first few DE days you want a street tire that is going to give you good feedback before they let go. The starspecs are pretty good in this regard. I would not spend the money on new rims just yet. I'd save it until you have some track time under your belt to determine what you need and prioritize from there. Since you have two different compounds front to rear, I'd say replacing the tires is a given though. Also, when doing the brake fluid flush, make sure you use DOT 4. Past that, all the regular maintenance items you spoke about are a good idea.

Hello Will. This will be my fist NASA event too.

I think both the 8 y/o tires and the cheap all seasons must go. Stat Specs are probably the best bang for your buck summer tires available. However, any good summer or max perf. tire will serve you very well given the fact that you will keep stock brake pads.

16's or 17's for the track? That's a question of how much money you want to spend and how many tire options you want to have.

I run starspecs on my Lotus and I highly recommend them for a street/part time track tire. For your first few DE days you want a street tire that is going to give you good feedback before they let go. The starspecs are pretty good in this regard. I would not spend the money on new rims just yet. I'd save it until you have some track time under your belt to determine what you need and prioritize from there. Since you have two different compounds front to rear, I'd say replacing the tires is a given though. Also, when doing the brake fluid flush, make sure you use DOT 4. Past that, all the regular maintenance items you spoke about are a good idea.

Thank you for your input! I've already chosen ATE Super Blue so I should be in good shape there.

Hello Will. This will be my fist NASA event too.

I think both the 8 y/o tires and the cheap all seasons must go. Stat Specs are probably the best bang for your buck summer tires available. However, any good summer or max perf. tire will serve you very well given the fact that you will keep stock brake pads.

16's or 17's for the track? That's a question of how much money you want to spend and how many tire options you want to have.

Thanks for the post. I look forward to seeing you there.

Also, when doing the brake fluid flush, make sure you use DOT 4.

In my experience its better to shop for track-use brake fluid by boiling point(s) instead of whatever the DOT rating is. Sound advice otherwise though

u need to get your own. besides, do u really want a helmet that some other person has gotten all sweaty in?

if you want to go on doing this for a while, SA2010 will get you longevity as it won't expire until 2021(?) however if you want to save some money right now, u can get a SA2005 and it'll be good for another 5 years or so. go try out helmets either at an event or at local race shops. it needs to fit you by contour of head, not just S/M/L/XL size

Hi everyone,

I will be attending my first DE with NASA at the NCCAR for Spring Brake. I am very excited but also anxious. I am already planning on changing oil/filter, differential fluid, MTF, and brake fluid. However, my biggest concern is tires. I have a stock 2003 S2000. The previous owner had replaced the rear tires with a cheap all-season and the fronts are still the original S-02s!

I'd love to find a good set of AP2 wheels instead of just replacing the tires but I do appreciate the looks of the AP1 wheels and I understand that they won't be holding me back.

Would you all suggest I keep the AP1 wheels and just replace the tires? If so, would you go with something like the Star Specs or Hankook RS-3s? Or rather a max performance tire like the Conti DW?

On the other hand, should I pick up a set of AP2 wheels?

Am I over thinking this?

My .02:

Get a new set of rotors just for track use. Cheap Autozone/Advance/etc will suffice for DE.

Budget brake pads: NAPA Adaptive One. I ran them all last year. Great pad for what it is. Less than $100/axle.

Mo' money brake pads: Hawk HP+, hard on rotors. will need new rotors after the track weekend. Around $175-ish/axle

Carbotech XP10, easy on rotors. Amazing pad for DE. Period. Around $175-ish/axle

TIRES: Dunlop Star Specs. I currently run these. Love them. Love them. Love them. Did I say I love them?

Hankook Ventus RS-3. Haven't ran these. Heard great things about them. About the same price point as Star

Specs.

Conti DW. Great tire. Little more slick than the two above. Not as good turn in as the two above, good through

the middle and exit. IMO, the two above are more responsive.

Hope this helps. Good luck out there.

Having been at NCCAR I suggest you bring tools to rotate your brand new star specs!

If you don't have all the tools, bring the correct socket that fits your lug nuts.

You can always find a jack, battery impact and help. Its a good chance someone will have the right socket, but why chance it.

If you want even wear on your tires rotate at lunch and the end of the day each day.

I ran a worn out set of Khumo V710 and by lunch on Sunday I was wishing I had rotated them. My driver front was smooth and the other three wereto the point where you could tell at one time they had two groves in them.

Are new rotors and pads so important for my first HPDE? I will surely tackle them before the next one either way.

I'll go ahead and get my own SA2010 helmet.

I ordered star specs today. Couldn't justify any other tire. Look forward to driving with them on.

I'll see you next weekend, bat guano.

I wouldn't worry about getting new rotors for your first DE, but the pads would certainly be a very good idea. I don't know about NCCAR, but I know I went through about half of my pads at CMP over the course of two days. If those pads have been in use for a while, you really want to have something left for your drive home. Also, another thing that will be helpful is a set of wheel chocks. Not completely necessary, but really helpful since the parking brake is generally a bad idea coming straight off the track.

Also, are helmets available to rent?

Will,

I have a Bell M4 helmet, SA 2005, size medium that I'm willing to sell. PM me if interested.

Greg

Are new rotors and pads so important for my first HPDE? I will surely tackle them before the next one either way.

I'll go ahead and get my own SA2010 helmet.

I ordered star specs today. Couldn't justify any other tire. Look forward to driving with them on.

I'll see you next weekend, bat guano.

Pad and rotors ARE A NECESSITY for ANY track use. Trust me, I learned the hard way. I ruined my street pads on the FIRST SESSION of my FIRST DE! Read my previous post about brake pads. Get new rotors so you can bed the rotors to the NEW pads. Keep those rotors with the pads. Pads have different "bed in" compounds. Please, please, PLEASE do not skimp on brakes. Who cares if you can go 130 down the straight. Can you stop? I've been doing this for over a year now and I preach brakes to any and all newcomers.

Good choice on the tires. You will LOVE them. They communicate very well. I'd shoot for 36-38 psi, HOT. My target psi is 36 hot. They seem to do best at those pressures.

Alright cooper, if you insist!

I will order a new front axle of rotors and pads.

Already done:

New tires (love them and they're not even broken in!)

New oil/filter.

Changed/bled brake fluid to ATE Super Blue

Still to do:

Get those new rotors and pads

Differential fluid change

Maybe a MTF change.

I will order my helmet tonight and I should be just about ready to go.

Already done:

New oil/filter.

Still to do:

Maybe a MTF change.

Please don't think I'm trying to be a prick. I just don't want you to go through what I went through at my first DE. I think you'll thank me later for this advice.

Glad you like the tires! (told ya!)

Since you live in Charlotte, we should get together sometime. I live in Spartanburg, SC and I frequent Charlotte.

Just remember to be careful out there and keep the shiny side up!

Already done:

New oil/filter.

Still to do:

Maybe a MTF change.

For the S2000, if you do get new rotors, you should get both front & rear axles. It's a very cheap insurance.

Given that the S2000 is a very light car, you will be running Star Specs and this will be your first HPDE, I would not get into track specific pads (XP-10, HP+, etc.). Both Hawk & Carbotech have very good, less aggressive pads. Axxis is another company that make good pads for the S2000.

I know Lee (batguano) is running Start Specs in HPDE2 with stock brakes without any problems. I am running Sport Maxx TT tires with Satisfied GS 6 pads and they consistently provide more braking than the tires can take, even when the tires are warm. I am switching to Hawk HPS though.

Please don't think I'm trying to be a prick. I just don't want you to go through what I went through at my first DE. I think you'll thank me later for this advice.

Glad you like the tires! (told ya!)

Since you live in Charlotte, we should get together sometime. I live in Spartanburg, SC and I frequent Charlotte.

Just remember to be careful out there and keep the shiny side up!

I definitely know you're not trying to be a price. I asked these questions because I wanted experienced folks to help me out.

For sure.

For the S2000, if you do get new rotors, you should get both front & rear axles. It's a very cheap insurance.

Given that the S2000 is a very light car, you will be running Star Specs and this will be your first HPDE, I would not get into track specific pads (XP-10, HP+, etc.). Both Hawk & Carbotech have very good, less aggressive pads. Axxis is another company that make good pads for the S2000.

I know Lee (batguano) is running Start Specs in HPDE2 with stock brakes without any problems. I am running Sport Maxx TT tires with Satisfied GS 6 pads and they consistently provide more braking than the tires can take, even when the tires are warm. I am switching to Hawk HPS though.

I already made the order. I'll see if I can change it but otherwise I might wing it for this first event.

I ended up getting StopTech pads. Read good things about them being ok for street as well as light track/auto-x usage. I know they might not be good enough for the upper levels of HPDEs, but that is down the road for me.

Good to hear about the tires. It is hard for me to imagine breaking them lose, especially with the lack of torque in my car.

I already made the order. I'll see if I can change it but otherwise I might wing it for this first event.

I ended up getting StopTech pads. Read good things about them being ok for street as well as light track/auto-x usage. I know they might not be good enough for the upper levels of HPDEs, but that is down the road for me.

Good to hear about the tires. It is hard for me to imagine breaking them lose, especially with the lack of torque in my car.

I've never used Stop Tech, but I hear they are good.

At corner exit our cars are very capable of braking the traction of any street tire. It's just a matter of smooth inputs.

I've never used Stop Tech, but I hear they are good.

At corner exit our cars are very capable of braking the traction of any street tire. It's just a matter of smooth inputs.

I read a lot of reviews and most of them were very positive and the price is very reasonable. Did the whole axle for $170 incl shipping.

I believe it. Its just hard to test the traction on city streets.