lexan windows

speedlab93

Technically the answer is probably Home Depot or Lowes.

You can also buy it from Shields or a few other places but then it isn't cheap as it is preformed and scratch resistant.

the money is well worth it for the front window. If you go cheap you will regret it shortly after you use it because you won't see out front. If you are not willing to spend what is required for the right part just stick with the glass.

What makes the Lexan (polycarbonate?) material different when you buy it from Home Depot/Lowes vs. Shields?

How do they make it scrach resistant?

I bought some used lexan off a Busch car and am attempting to make it work. I'm currently doing a horrible job at it. It's a 1/4 thick and frankly, not much lighter than stock glass. I weighed it at 20 lb's. Claims are made that stock glass is 71 lb's but that's BS. Try 38-40.

On the "other car" I used speedglass and it turned out really well. (I had help) We got it as close as I felt humanly possible. Three day job to do the front and rear with two guys.

If I have the car done, it'll be at Road America with this glass. I bought a couple extra pieces just in case I screwed this one up. It came with tear offs and so had very few scratches. Man I wish I had fab skills so I could pop these puppies out for a profit.

• 4 months later...

Dredging up an old thread here; what were the weight savings you saw from installing lexan? I'm trying to justify the $ vs the lbs.

Thanks!

you might be okay with the Home Depot sheet of Lexan if you put on the peel offs right off the bat..

I have been researching this for a while and it might cost you about 40 a sheet of peel off which to me is worth it in the long run.

Front, rear and 1/4 windows weigh a total of 22 lbs on an SN-95 car. I'm not really sure what the stock parts weighed since I never had them.

• 1 month later...
Dredging up an old thread here; what were the weight savings you saw from installing lexan? I'm trying to justify the $ vs the lbs.

Thanks!

The windshield from my 95 weighed 27.5 lbs. Shields windwhield 3/16" replacement polycabonate weighed 14 lbs.