2011 Tire War: Hoosier A6 vs. Goodyear Eagle RS

s1mpsons

even if the Goodyear was faster Hoosier would just whip up an R7 & A7...

where's the article though, I can't find it. Interested in how they tested them. Sometimes their tests are good, sometimes they have some holes...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• Cobra4B

• Varkwso

• Smike

even if the Goodyear was faster Hoosier would just whip up an R7 & A7...

when I talked to hoosier at PRI they were close, and I believe they told me summer '11 (ish) to be looking out. FWIW he told me they typically shoot for a new product release when the performance is 5% (+) greater.

Well, GRM just did a comparison in the latest issue and GY was a second slower on an auto-X track. That seems to answer all the questions...

Via Miata? Hardly.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/2010-mazda-mx-5-miata/hoosier-a6-versus-goodyear-eagle-rs-ac-autocross-t/

"Shrinkage" -- tells me they don't really get it. Look at the sidewall differences. GYs have a different overall shape. Once mounted. SWs are matched to the rims. Which is why they both stack evenly between the two.

Did they heat cycle either tire? Lots of questions.

For August at Mid-Ohio, I will be testing the AC compound on my TTE SVTF. I ran the R6s for start of year. Wont be a A6 v. AC comparison. But I will have a good idea how these stack up.

I'll be there in my TTE Miata so keep me posted, curious to get some real world feedback. Too bad we can't swap rims for a session!

- Mark

Sounds good Mark. Come on over. I hope to find a spot on the far paddock (if the teen drivers are not there). Seriously, those kids could car less with all that was going on around them. Waste of good parking space for us.

Well, hopefully some folks will bite the bullet and run them. So far I've only seen 2 cars on GY and neither won.

Only if they were slicks.....

grassrootsmotorsports putting them 1 second slower on an auto-x car is not a good sign someone would have to try them to be sure but it seems the 17" sizes are not available yet.

Having seen people go realy fast on the C71 Hankook I wish I could find a C91 in a 17" size.

Reading the article it doesn't sound like any work was done to optimize the alignment and such for each tire - just a slap on and go type test. Meh...

My point as well. They did not setup the car to work with either tire.

TTE is owned by the Civic and Solstice. To get to their times I'd need to go below my weight or add more power. Neither of which will allow me to stay in E. There really is no winning in that class for me. But as long as I can battle with the Miatas, its a good day.

I shaved 1.5s from the R6 in July to AC in August.

225/45R17 AC compound. Found them to be predictable. Did not get them to talk. My R6s talked a little bit at their end of grip. I need to adjust the car for the tire. I have too much rear bar for these. Ran cold psi in the 26-28 range. Saw hot psi in 33-36 in the day. Next time I run I am going to go to 24-26 psi.

That was my last TT of this season. Need to work on a project car (not for racing).

• 4 weeks later...
grassrootsmotorsports putting them 1 second slower on an auto-x car is not a good sign someone would have to try them to be sure but it seems the 17" sizes are not available yet.

Having seen people go realy fast on the C71 Hankook I wish I could find a C91 in a 17" size.

It would be good if Hankook gave a hoot about US road racing........

It would be good if Hankook gave a hoot about US road racing........

Yes it would indeed. It would also be good if they (or anyone) made a 245/40-15 in something under treadwear 100. A Z214 in a 245/40/15 would be the perfect tire for me.

TTE is owned by the Civic and Solstice.

If you are referring to Dave Kutney's TTE 2007 Solstice Z0K that showed up at the Championships at Mid-Ohio last weekend, then note that the car is actually a TTD car and should have been all along. I bumped him up from TTE to TTD after inspecting his car and his classification forms, at which point he packed his bags and left.

If you are referring to another Solstice, then it's a good idea to check the car's classification forms anyway. "Solstice Joe" Sullivan knows the deal! lol

Mark

I spoke at length with a Goodyear representative in Ohio last week and he made it clear that Goodyear is very interested in manufacturing a top quality tire that can compete with anything that the other vendors are supplying. He was very interested in what makes a good contingency program, what sizes are popular, what setups we run and what expectations we have from the tire we choose. I see only good things to come. Competition brings out the best in everyone.

I spoke at length with a Goodyear representative in Ohio last week and he made it clear that Goodyear is very interested in manufacturing a top quality tire that can compete with anything that the other vendors are supplying. He was very interested in what makes a good contingency program, what sizes are popular, what setups we run and what expectations we have from the tire we choose. I see only good things to come. Competition brings out the best in everyone.

That's great to hear that they were at Nats doing their homework

How about a super sticky TT only compound in the 11" wide 245 size that Mark mentioned....

For $50 a tire

that's good for 300 HC's and wears like a street tire

Yes, Goodyear is very serious about getting into NASA TT and racing.

TTE is owned by the Civic and Solstice.

If you are referring to Dave Kutney's TTE 2007 Solstice Z0K that showed up at the Championships at Mid-Ohio last weekend, then note that the car is actually a TTD car and should have been all along. I bumped him up from TTE to TTD after inspecting his car and his classification forms, at which point he packed his bags and left.

If you are referring to another Solstice, then it's a good idea to check the car's classification forms anyway. "Solstice Joe" Sullivan knows the deal! lol

Mark

I knew it! Thanks Mark. He's been destroying E all season. Brian in his Civic is another E car that is 8s faster than everyone else in pack. I have video where he catches me in Thunderhill and walks away from me with power.

The Miata guys and I noted how much more speed they all have when we're back in a pack trading positions with each other.