New Member from Southern Illinois area

iamboomer2

Hello fellow NASA members. My name is Shaun, I'm 22, and I'm addicted to racing. I'm posting this to introduce myself, as well as hopefully get a little guidance in the sense of where to start. I was involved in kart racing at an early age in Florida, at age 15 my parents decided to move to Illinois, and since I haven't been involved in any type of race event. I had the intentions of sticking with it, and was getting some people to start noticing me with consistent finishes, but since moving, it all was lost. Guess I blame them for halting my dream, but I should blame myself for not immediately researching for my new area. I don't know if I still have the skill I had then, or if it can be regained but the itch to race has gotten to me and I found myself registering here instead of SCCA because it would seem there are more events closer to me. I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction I need to go to get started, I want to be a competitive racer.. simply because I love to race, I don't just like to go fast. I'm a little lost, as when starting at a young age, my parents did all of the registering and organizing. Now it's just me, and I'm starting from scratch, hoping to get back behind the wheel, preferably of a car this time though. I'm not trying to find a fast way to getting paid to race, I just want to race and let it take me where it does. I've got skill, common sense and a good understanding of pushing cars to their limits, as well as myself. I'm determined enough to sacrifice a lot to get into it, and I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks ahead of time.

• Members

First, welcome to NASA. I am, of course, biased but there is no better organization.

Depending on where you are located in Illinois, you would not be far from our Mid South region events in either Memphis (July 9&10 & November 19&20) or Nashville (Oct 1&2). You are also located near Midwest region events as well and they have one April 16&17 at Autobahn Country Club in Joliet, IL and next month, May 13-15 at Putnam Park.

My advice would be to first attend an event as a spectator, volunteer, or by signing up for HPDE1 with your current vehicle. Not sure what the Midwest offers their volunteers but we offer free hotel, meals, and the opportunity to earn free track time. We just had our first event last weekend and everyone had a great time. Our next event is May 21-22 at Talladega Gran Prix Raceway (Little Talladega) and it will be great.

If you would like, PM me your phone number and I would be more than happy to call you. Even if you decide not to attend any of my region's events, growth in other NASA regions is good for my region.

Thanks again for the interest.