Berner1

Any word on how the Summit Point Shenandoah Circuit is?

Berner1

I know it's finally completed and events are scheduled, but I've seen one or two clubs state that they were still evaluating the course?

Any word from anyone?

getfast

NASA Mid Atlantic did a private orientation/testing day there in December.

I believe the final decision was to HPDE & roadrace there in June '05.

Jon

http://www.get-fast.net

emwavey

I saw the track from the passenger seat of a minivan...

Seems like a smaller/techical course, but could be lots of fun. The "bowl" was a blast even in a minivan.

BGRacing33

I was at the SCCA Event at the Summit Main track this weekend and ventured over to watch another club on the Shenandoah Circuit. While I have not run on the track it looks to me that a recipe for disaster is in the making at that facility.

It appears that their is only 10 to 20 feet of runoff area before you will contact a jersey barrier and potentialy rebound into oncoming traffic. As a former Legends driver our cars could easily go over those barriers, at least the tire wall would grab the car.The transitions from one surface to another are rough.

I have been going to Summit since 1972 as a spectator and now a racer with NASA. It seems to me that Mr. Scott could have spent his money more wisely in fixing the main track with gravel access roads, a paddock that does not flood etc. etc.

I know getting race dates are tough and I have faith in the Leaders of the Mid Atlantic Region, but this facility needs close attention. At this point I am on the fence about running my car there from the reactions I have heard from racers in other venues.

Nick Astarb

NASAlaura

Here is another review:

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5071

We have also spoken with an HC driver who ran on the track since they have made a lot of improvements, and he also liked it. Our registrar, Sean Thompson, recently flagged for the EMRA event. His concern was more from an administrative standpoint, as he felt some adjustments would need to be made for the starter position and control facility. He said that the drivers he spoke with seemed to like the course a lot.

The NASA staff, Race Series Directors and 20 instructors will be doing another test day on May 13 to see how they are doing with the suggestions we made. I will try to remember to post here!

Laura Cobetto, Event Planner

BGRacing33

Just wanted to offer my perspective and what I have heard, I am sure that the leadership of Mid Atlantic will use their best judgement, I would not wish to race with any other group. Keep up the good work.

Nick

Frank Corkran

So will NASA be using the same configuration as that EMRA event, without the esses and K-sel and with the bridge chicane?

jrallen

I raced it with EMRA a few weeks ago and had a blast. There plenty of places to pass and it's very challenging. My only request would be to open the carousel and the pit straight for racing. Cutting those out makes it a little short.

Jon Allen

AlanPK

C my comments (for what they are worth) in the AI forum. I ran with EMRA there.

seanmc

agree totally with the last 2 posts...first impressions friday left a lot of us shaking our heads, but by saturdays tt's almost all were having a blast. most agreed that there were parts of the track good for fast cars and parts good for small cars. only one racing incident in small bore saturday. also as mentioned above, right now not a lot of places where you can safely drop a wheel off. hopefully by mid maymost of that will be filled in. plenty of electricity...boxes everywhere..water was not on yet in the big bathrooms, but again should be working by mid may, i hope. many emra members want to back in the fall...some even suggested moving the 4 hour enduro there. a fast driver emra sent to do pre race weekend laps got down to 1:40s...by sunday there were a lot of cars in the 1:35 or lower range. gk

ddteman

I just ran the track for the first time on friday. All i can say is don't believe the Hype. This track is a blast to race on, yes it tight and very complexed but this is going to be a great race track when a few little things have been worked out. We ran with and without the Bowl and the bowl makes the track a lot more fun. The so call jump wasn't even a issue "its a drop off anyway" This track is very busy, from the bowl to the back straight you don't have a lot of time to think but that what made it fun. I love tracks that have elavation changes and this has a lot. The car gets light in places but very predictable after a few session. All i can say is if you haven't run it you should because it is one of those track that will have you grinning from ear to ear after a few session and wanting more.

DanElam

Let me echo that.

Cobetto will tell you that I was one of the more, ahem, vocal people in his ear about this track after seeing the in-car footage and walking around portions of the track. Cobetto asked that I reserve judgement until I had gotten to see it. When we walked the track, it wasn't as tough as I had once thought, but it still seemed like it wouldn't be ideal.

So first the bad news: yes, this is a technical track. There are walls at two places that are a little bit uncomfortably close. But the truth is that they are still further away than turn 10 at Sears Point or some of the other tracks. I'd still like to see them changed. I was also surprised to see that the wall comes up uncomfortable close when you are drifting to the track out for Big Bend. You don't notice the wall when you are walking, but you don't notice anything else when you are sliding to the exit. There are a couple places where flag stations need to be worked out and the pit in (for now) is right at a point on the racing line from a short straight getting ready for a turn.

So now the good news: this track is certain to become a favorite. It's easily the most entertaining new track in years. Tracks like Kershaw and BeaveRun are downright boring by comparison. VIR's north course isn't nearly as technical. Tracks like BeaveRun can be learned pretty quick, but Shenandoah is going to take years and countless hours of benchracing to determine the best way around the track. It's non-stop action that requires trail-braking, drifting, and a big pucker factor for this blind off-camber turns. The really dangerous parts have been moved. There's still some discussion about whether to run the Karousel, but with more banking than Charlotte it's certainly something you would hate to miss. The best part is that it isn't even nearly the most fun part of the track. We're told that many of the rougher patches will be smoothed out before races begin.

The track does reward smaller cars and probably front wheel drive. Racing in the rain would be pretty tough. But it really is a good equalizer - especially for races with multiple classes. There are a lot more passing areas than you might expect.

So the bottom line verdict is that I will be a little apprehensive about racing there, but I am also looking forward to the first race there. I'd say cautiously optimistic.

nasa ser

thanks for the review Dan, so does that mean the Bowl is still a possibility of the weekend in June, personally i can't wait to race on the track and hope the include the bowl!

So now the good news: this track is certain to become a favorite. It's easily the most entertaining new track in years. Tracks like Kershaw and BeaveRun are downright boring by comparison. VIR's north course isn't nearly as technical. Tracks like BeaveRun can be learned pretty quick, but Shenandoah is going to take years and countless hours of benchracing to determine the best way around the track. It's non-stop action that requires trail-braking, drifting, and a big pucker factor for this blind off-camber turns. The really dangerous parts have been moved. There's still some discussion about whether to run the Karousel, but with more banking than Charlotte it's certainly something you would hate to miss. The best part is that it isn't even nearly the most fun part of the track. We're told that many of the rougher patches will be smoothed out before races begin.

The track does reward smaller cars and probably front wheel drive. Racing in the rain would be pretty tough. But it really is a good equalizer - especially for races with multiple classes. There are a lot more passing areas than you might expect.

So the bottom line verdict is that I will be a little apprehensive about racing there, but I am also looking forward to the first race there. I'd say cautiously optimistic.

George Knighton
...with more banking than Charlotte....

I was going to sit this season out to pick up some pieces, but I swear I think you've convinced me to give it a go.

white_2kgt
...with more banking than Charlotte....

I was going to sit this season out to pick up some pieces, but I swear I think you've convinced me to give it a go.

Don't. I rode around it this past weekend and just signed up for the NASA weekend in June. I can't wait to flat foot the karousel on R's!

--chad

APKhaos

Posted this on some local NOVA boards and Rennlist, but though some of you guys might like to see the video of the track in its current state. This is the confg we will run in June, says Chris C.

NASA was hosted for a test day on Friday by Bill Scott.

We had the track to ourselves, and a great BSR instructor/Spec Miata pilot with 13 days on the track to brief us on the line and the legend. This track has had more press than most, so it was a good opportunity to see and drive the track.

We ran two groups - around 18 racers from a number of NASA series, and an equal number of NASA HPDE instructors. The objective for the day was to evalauate the course for racing and for instructing.

CONFIGURATION

The track is designed to be re-configurable, and to be run in either direction. Several improvements to the layout have been made already, in response to feedback from groups that have run the track. More are planned, including some important ones that will be completed before the NASA event in early June.

Shenandoah.jpg

- We ran counter-clockwise.

- The entire pit area was extended beyond the concrete pit walls [green marker]. This area is required for staging race and run groups that just would not fit in the area behind the wall.

- The track we used ran a short link [the Ram Site] which joins the short straight from the Loop Curve to the Cave Esses. Its the short section between the green Pit In & Pit Out.

- The Range Esses, which form the finger part of the Pistol Grip, have been replaced by a new section of straight track running from track out of The Hook [white marker]

- We ran the track with and without the Karussel. No question about it, we will run with the Karussel for the June event.

There are a few bumpy patches which will be resurfaced shortly. These are mainly around the intersections of the main track and crossover tracks. They will be optimised for the confguration described above, which will smooth out a lot of the bumps.

Here's a short video One Lap Tour of the track as we ran it.

The track has you working full time! Changes of elevation, closely connected turn, and non-stop action. There is no time to relax - even the straights are short. The track is extremely technical - like MidOhio in many ways, but tighter and less flowing.

The are a few blind sections, which will need to be carefully covered by flags. Drivers will need early warning if anyone gets into trouble out of their sight but in their immediate path. Good flagging will be critical in these areas.

There's some real excitement on offer for those who run the Bridge Straight at high speed. The track climbs under the bridge, then dramatically drops away toward the Karusell. Take this at speed and.....you're airborne!

ShenandoahAir.jpg

I'm a lot more comfortable with the track now that I've driven it. We have a race scheduled for early June, and I'm in. De will be challenging, expecially for instructors. There is no time to rattle on, and students will be fully loaded. Short, clear direction is all there is time for! We will see how the NASA HPDE groups do in early June.

The NASA guys were convinced that Bill Scott is ready and willing to do anything we ask to improve the track. My take is that the track is in its early stages of development, and we are going to see some significant improvements ovr the next couple of seasons.

George Knighton

We're definitely in the Age of Broadband when a 22 meg video is called short.

Downloading now. Thank you very much.

George Knighton

Eeeek. I'm old. That is way too much course for me to remember. LOL....

I will definitely be on street tyres and "the patch" my first few drives there.

APKhaos

OK George, its a short fat video.

Its always a battle between posting decent resolution and bearable file size. I like the format of this clip as a decent compromise. Agree with you that a short video file that is larger than most hard disks were a few short years ago is kinda spooky. Gotta love the bandwidth we have these days!